Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Letting your teammate pass

(I posted a couple threads to try to have some clear air from the conspiracy theories. So please, if you are here just willing to bash the FIA and/or support your favourite conspiracy theory, please do that in any of the other threads. Thank you)

Before starting, let me say that I consider KR a very deserving WDC (although taking into account that both FA and LH finished 1 point behind, the same could have been said of any of those two).

Now, after years of reading posts and posts in these forums bashing the supposed Ferrari policy of priorizing one driver, this time I cannot find a single post saying that KR is an undeserving WDC because he won by being let pass by his teammate.

Quite contradictory, the posters' attitude, I think

So, is it wrong or not to win the WDC by being let pass by your teammate?
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think in that situation it would be too much of a problem. The last race, with the teammate completely out of the equation, and it actually only occurring in the pitlane where Kimi put in some fantastically quick lap times made it fine.

If it was for the title, midway through the season (if it was so dominated like 2002 (I think)) then it would probably be less accepted as it would be so unnecessary.

Team orders have become so much more out in the open and expected that it's less of a surprise any more, but today really, they weren't exactly blatent, if they did even occur.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    (I posted a couple threads to try to have some clear air from the conspiracy theories. So please, if you are here just willing to bash the FIA and/or support your favourite conspiracy theory, please do that in any of the other threads. Thank you)

Before starting, let me say that I consider KR a very deserving WDC (although taking into account that both FA and LH finished 1 point behind, the same could have been said of any of those two).

Now, after years of reading posts and posts in these forums bashing the supposed Ferrari policy of priorizing one driver, this time I cannot find a single post saying that KR is an undeserving WDC because he won by being let pass by his teammate.

Tin, if it is wrong you have to eliminate a number of champions. Especially if you add in the time a faster teammate opted not to pass when he could done so, which is really much the same thing. You would start with World Championship #1, when Fangio followed team orders to let Farina with the title. Hawthorn in 1958 and Surtees in 1964 are ones that come to my mind immediately, but I am sure there a a number of other cases.

I would not consider any of those championships tainted in any way. Same with Raikkonen - a long winded way to agree with you.

ClarkFan

P.S. Just for the record, if I ran a F1 team, that team would have a designated #1 driver. F1 drivers suffer the same type of testosterone overdose as prize bulls and tend to gore each other if there isn't an established order (see Montoya and RS running each other off the road for Williams, not to mention this chaos at McLaren in 1989 and 2007). Designating a #1 just limits the damage to the herd, er team, from the internal competition.
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkFan
    Tin, if it is wrong you have to eliminate a number of champions. Especially if you add in the time a faster teammate opted not to pass when he could done so, which is really much the same thing. You would start with World Championship #1, when Fangio followed team orders to let Farina with the title. Hawthorn in 1958 and Surtees in 1964 are ones that come to my mind immediately, but I am sure there a a number of other cases.

I would not consider any of those championships tainted in any way. Same with Raikkonen - a long winded way to agree with you.

ClarkFan

P.S. Just for the record, if I ran a F1 team, that team would have a designated #1 driver. F1 drivers suffer the same type of testosterone overdose as prize bulls and tend to gore each other if there isn't an established order (see Montoya and RS running each other off the road for Williams, not to mention this chaos at McLaren in 1989 and 2007). Designating a #1 just limits the damage to the herd, er team, from the internal competition.
    Oh, maybe I didn't make my opinion clear. Personally, I have nothing against that. Particularly in a situation like today. It's just that there has been so much talk here about team orders, etc., etc., that I felt tempted to post this thread.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never bashed Ferrari or any other team for team orders like the one we saw today, in the end they are just pursuing what they need.

now Austria 2002 was totally different, a big farce, and that's where my bashing come in
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Oh, maybe I didn't make my opinion clear. Personally, I have nothing against that. Particularly in a situation like today. It's just that there has been so much talk here about team orders, etc., etc., that I felt tempted to post this thread.
    Oh, you were quite clear - I just rambled around and agreed with you in a confusing way.

I would even argue that it is OK for teams to decide signficantly earlier in the year to favor the driver with the better shot at winning. The team goal is to win the championship within the team (IMO, of course). Drivers are paid by the team, and should work for the team goals or find alternative employment (very much IMO here).

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 1,094 Times in 609 Posts

It is wrong (while I must admit to rooting for KR) as I cannot stand team orders of any kind.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    It would have been totally stupid for Massa to win and deny his team mate the championship.
    However, I think Ferrari should give Massa a brand new top of the line bright red Ferrari as a present this Christmas.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    [i]

WHAT?!? Guess you ain't lookin hard enuff

Quote Originally Posted by PSfan
    For the record, I Don't feel anyone deserves the title of 2007 wdc. The whole stepney thing has damaged the championship beyond repair. Had the FIA punished the McLeran drivers to some extent (like perhaps stripping them of their points the earned while Stepney was still employed by Ferrari (once suspended he could no longer give out race strategy...) Then at least the Ferrari boys would have had a good fight for the title, but once Ferrari told Massa to pit to let Kimi by, then that battle was also tarnished.
    As posted in the "Who would you rather have as WC?"
    The Preceding post may have contained nudity, sexuality, violence, coarse language and Jacques
    Villeneuve and is intended for a mature audience, parental guidance is advised.
    So you wanna know what the PS Stands for.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Ferrari did exactly WHAT Mac should have done...if they had been willing to acccept freddie as a number one....as he was hired to be.......see my other post on the other thread about mac to appeal stewart's decision

If they had done it, they would have a wdc AND a WCC right now....but no, LH and poppa got to mouthing off about a pit stop/paddle mess in Q at one race....and the rest is history-----add in those points FA lost there by being moved back five places, and just assuming he finished second, and you have a different WDC as we speak
    Only the dead know the end of war. Plato:beer: