Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To try to be constructive, Chaparral, I'd say the one thing the fans can do to make one series or the other (or both separately, or try to make them one series) is to make your voice heard to the Powers. Write them once, then again and again (don't harrass them of course, but don't just stop at one letter/email) until they know what it is you want.

From the fan's perspective, the situation is like a faltering TV show. The network has threatened to cancel it, and it's up to the fans to convince the network to keep it on the air. It's fair to remember that letter-writing campaigns have worked in the past (for TV shows....whether it'd work to convince a business owner to keep his business going is a different question).

The other option I see is to kidnap 10 million people in the US and force them to watch the races so ratings will go up.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes i want to see one series. Yes i want to see Newmann Haas/Forsythe/Team Australia/Minardi take on AGR/Penske/Ganassi. Yes i want to see ovals again (hey, i only watch one series... guess which one?). But i dont want Tony George in contrl. Even if ChampCar sold itself to TG, i still think that AOWR will be screwed under his control. Champ Car isnt doing a better job at the moment, but I have no faith in Tony George and his Business Practices. Yes i am a Champ Car fan, but no i am not a one eyed, rose-tinted glasses wearing optimist (i leave that to everyone at ccf... ergh!)

The most important part of American Open wheel racing, the part that got me following it wasnt the Indy 500... to be honest, i barely give a crap about the Indy 500... its the other Indy that i care about. Gold Coast Indy. It is the reason i am a fan. I don't want to see my indy being contested by the IRL cars as they are not a road racing machine. Champ Car is the best for Road Racing from the USA. Thats why i support it. But i'm worried that there will be nothing to support soon

The problem with both series is that they are not thinking in the long term. Both are thinking short term gains. But if they dont put their differences aside and join back up, then.... well i think there will be nothing in the future for short term game... i.e no indystyle racing.

KK and TG go 50-50... but have the series run and desicions made by Cotman or someone of the like. Even for the first year... Run dallara Chassis on ovals and Panoz on streets/road (even though they are aparently oval ready)... then both manufacturers can design a new car for the next year (simplistic solution that wont happen and has been mentioned many times before i know)

I've never been overly interested in politics, or the endless battle between champcar vs Irl. I just care mainly about my Indy. For the benefit of my Indy... they have to fix something soon! or else... there may be no racing left as both series would have run themselves into the ground
    Sir! While I disagree with what you are saying, I will fight to the death your right to spell the words incorerctly and use heinous.. grammar yo !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm about done caring about ChampCar. I tended to support it over IRL, and couldn't stand TG. However, IRL is now clearly a better series. More sponsors, a better variety of tracks, and a lot more name drivers, even if they do all want to go to NASCAR. (They are just following the money.)

What needs to happen: CC should sell out to the IRL. They should and would spin it as a merger of equals, for the fans sake, but CC should be dissolved at this point. The new IRL could gain:

A fantastic new car. The Panoz could be used on the road courses immediately, and ultimately would replace the current aging IRL cars on all tracks.

About 10 fully funded teams, with recognizable drivers, to flesh out the series to about competitive 25 teams.

About 8? money-making events, that have good promoters and that actually pay the series to race, rather then allow CC to rent their track. This would of course include Long Beach. Net result, maybe 20+ races, with about a 50/50 oval/non-oval mix.

Options with Kevin K. to supply Cosworth engines, probably branded with whatever manufacturer they could get on board, if Honda didn't re-sign.

The goodwill of a lot of old Champ-Car fans, (if it was all handled right,) along with new young fans and Danica fans and Indy 500 fans and race fans in general, that would hopefully put enough people in seats and in front of the TV to keep the sponsors.

Hopefully a big enough critical mass of drivers, events, and sponsors (and Indy of course) to make it more of a destination, or at least a series where everybody isn't fighting to leave.
    N.Hayden L.Hamilton D.Earnhardt R.Gordon S.Speed T.Stewart J.P.Montoya G.Rahal Ferrari Lotus

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2mtt
    I'm about done caring about ChampCar. I tended to support it over IRL, and couldn't stand TG. However, IRL is now clearly a better series. More sponsors, a better variety of tracks, and a lot more name drivers, even if they do all want to go to NASCAR. (They are just following the money.)

What needs to happen: CC should sell out to the IRL. They should and would spin it as a merger of equals, for the fans sake, but CC should be dissolved at this point. The new IRL could gain:

A fantastic new car. The Panoz could be used on the road courses immediately, and ultimately would replace the current aging IRL cars on all tracks.

About 10 fully funded teams, with recognizable drivers, to flesh out the series to about competitive 25 teams.

About 8? money-making events, that have good promoters and that actually pay the series to race, rather then allow CC to rent their track. This would of course include Long Beach. Net result, maybe 20+ races, with about a 50/50 oval/non-oval mix.

Options with Kevin K. to supply Cosworth engines, probably branded with whatever manufacturer they could get on board, if Honda didn't re-sign.

The goodwill of a lot of old Champ-Car fans, (if it was all handled right,) along with new young fans and Danica fans and Indy 500 fans and race fans in general, that would hopefully put enough people in seats and in front of the TV to keep the sponsors.

Hopefully a big enough critical mass of drivers, events, and sponsors (and Indy of course) to make it more of a destination, or at least a series where everybody isn't fighting to leave.

It is what I have been saying for years....we need a critical mass for the series to start pulling in attention and money, as opposed to paying for attention and not getting sponsors.

You need about 20 dates and 24 cars to really have a series of interest to many, and you need a better TV package. Neither the IRL nor CCWS has all the pieces to make it all work. The IRL in the last 2 years has become a CART "lite" and has come closer to hitting on the formula that made CART grow, but they are missing pieces, and they wont get that without a merger or the collapse of CCWS.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".