"Regardless of what I do or what Sam does, the IndyCar Series, I've noticed in the last couple of years, [has had] an increase in interest from fans, from TV numbers, crowds and the track, interest from outside," Franchitti said. "I've been pleasantly surprised by that, so regardless of what any driver does, the series is bigger than any driver."

Dario Franchitti (ESPN.com IndyCar coverage AP - Sept 11, 2007)

Dario seems to be enthusiastic about the prosperity of the series and has seen good things happen this year. Who knows, even if the money in the IRL is not "NASCAR" money, it may be just enough to keep him where his heart is, and that's open wheel racing.

I hope he REALLY REALLY thinks about what he would be getting into with a 38 race schedule. But I guess, if it's true he was offered that sum, $30 million has substantial power to lure him away from open wheel.

And he is right, even if he and Sam leave, I think the Series will hurt for a little bit but there are a lot of drivers out there who could easily fill in.

Good luck Dario whatever you do. I hated you for jumping to NASCAR. Now, I don't hate you at all, even if you do. Thanks for a great season.