Why did they stop racing at Fontana?

Same reasons as Michigan? or what?
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xtlm
    Same reasons as Michigan? or what?

Yes, you can thank NASCAR and the ISC.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it had more to do with the lack of interest from the paying public then Nascar. if everyone that now complains about the cancellation of these events had actually turned up to watch the races - they would never have pulled the plug on them in the first place!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark123
    it had more to do with the lack of interest from the paying public then Nascar. if everyone that now complains about the cancellation of these events had actually turned up to watch the races - they would never have pulled the plug on them in the first place!!!
    Not what was told to me by Mr. Toyota, I forget his real name but thats what everyone was calling him, he was the head guy for Toyota's Indy Car program. He said that NASCAR was causing schedualing conflicts, suprise suprise.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    When they added the 2nd NASCAR race, the IC race became less valuable. The excuse was that ISC didn't want the IC date too close to the others, so the dates IC was interested in weren't acceptable.

IC was definately in the weak bargaining position. Was it a mistake losing the event? Or would it have been too costly to keep? Did losing Toyota's home race help pave the way for their exodus? Would the ISC have found another excuse if IC had been more flexible?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wish Fontana gets another open wheel event...I don't care if it's Champ Car or IndyCar or both. I've attended every open-wheel event at Fontana since 1997. I also go a few times a year to watch amateur racing (NASA and SCCA) at the Fontana infield road course.

Long Beach is the only open-wheel event that I can drive to. I did drive up to Sonoma last year but it was too tiring to drive 8-9 hours one way. I would've driven to Las Vegas (I went to the previous CC events at LVMS) this year but I had to work.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Why they stop racing at Fontana? Money. NASCAR money and ISC's catering to the making of it killed this event. Just like it does at Michigan, and how the IRL was allowed to never succeed at Phoenix. The IRL was played for a patsy by NASCAR to supplment their NASCAR dates until they were not required any more.....but that is ok, the IRL fan means little in the grand scheme of things, and NASCAR is quite happy to keep screwing you IRL fans. Us CCWS fans...well, we saw NASCAR as the enemy for a while, too bad Tony George hasn't....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    Why they stop racing at Fontana? Money. NASCAR money and ISC's catering to the making of it killed this event. Just like it does at Michigan, and how the IRL was allowed to never succeed at Phoenix. The IRL was played for a patsy by NASCAR to supplment their NASCAR dates until they were not required any more.....but that is ok, the IRL fan means little in the grand scheme of things, and NASCAR is quite happy to keep screwing you IRL fans. Us CCWS fans...well, we saw NASCAR as the enemy for a while, too bad Tony George hasn't....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I thanks for the responses

I guess I do not understand the cost of running an event...

It is a facility that is only used a hand full of times a year, how would it hurt to put another event there
    I Would Rather Be A Savage Little Elephant, Than Be A Big Bald Bull

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You have to spend money to promote it, pay the race purse and or sanction fee, cover the operating expenses, payroll for the part timers, ticket printing etc. It's not like a saturday night run what ya brung at the local drag strip where people just show up and pay a few bucks for a 50/50 gate ticket and a good time watching other guys blow up their daily driver.

Any given markets' fan and support base can theoretically only support so many major racing events within a given period of time. NASCAR has the money to drive competetion away from their events and of course they own Fontana, so if they don't want a competing series on their track or the additional series takes away potential sponsorship or attendance from their own event, it doesn't happen, end of story. Look at the ISC list of tracks, it only works if NASCAR/the France Family and the ISC allows it to.
    HINCHTOWN!!