Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IRL at Daytona in '08??

Does anyone know if there are any plans for the IRL to race at Daytona in 2008 after the successful compatability test in January?? Or even test there again in Jan '08??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I really doubt the IRL will return to the track in any situation. The track is uncomparible to any circuit they have avalible in 2008.
    What is Indy?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant
    Does anyone know if there are any plans for the IRL to race at Daytona in 2008 after the successful compatability test in January?? Or even test there again in Jan '08??
    I'm pretty sure that the IRL wouldn't want another Florida race. They already have Homestead and St. Petes early in the season, and unless they want a late-season final race in Daytona, I don't see it as a fit in the schedule.

Furthermore, the ISC tracks don't do well with IRL races. In the case of Daytona, the track's first priority is to sell out 2 NASCAR races, one of which hasn't sold out in some time, plus the GrandAm races. Only after they sell out those races would they be much interested in promoting other events.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I read somewhere that the race will be on the west coast - maybe a street race in LA? I am not from the USA so I don't know the area - is there any suitable venues? (other then long beach)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark123
    I read somewhere that the race will be on the west coast - maybe a street race in LA? I am not from the USA so I don't know the area - is there any suitable venues? (other then long beach)
    There are tons of good places to hold a race near LA. Laguna Seca comes to mind, as does California Speedway. It wouldn't be outside of the imagination to run one on a temporary road circuit.

However, LA is strange when it comes to pro sports. They are car crazy -- they started the hot rod craze -- but California Speedway has trouble selling tickets. LA also lacks an NFL (American football) franchise even though it has great college football teams.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i don't know why they don't run the road course at indy??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark123
    i don't know why they don't run the road course at indy??
    Uh, "who" will run the road course? The IRL?

1. The IRL already has way too many races within a day's drive of Indy. That market is saturated.

2. That would take away from the 500.

3. Having that race with the 100k or less that would show up would show the IRL with 2/3 of the stadium empty. That's not gonna happen -- it's akin to taking a picture of a supermodel next to a portajohn.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yeh your probably right. it was just a thought.
    I beleive that they will look to the West for their new race.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Daytona is a non starter.

I am thinking that if the IRL wants to try to push things into new worlds, they would head for the Pacific Northwest. Seattle, Vancouver? Portland? Think outside the box.......
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geek49203
    I'm pretty sure that the IRL wouldn't want another Florida race. They already have Homestead and St. Petes early in the season, and unless they want a late-season final race in Daytona, I don't see it as a fit in the schedule.

Furthermore, the ISC tracks don't do well with IRL races. In the case of Daytona, the track's first priority is to sell out 2 NASCAR races, one of which hasn't sold out in some time, plus the GrandAm races. Only after they sell out those races would they be much interested in promoting other events.
    DIS definitely has variety. Besides the 2 NASCAR dates, there is BikeWeek in the spring and another motorcycle weekend in the fall, Karting, and a few nostalgia races in there too.

As for IRL racing there, i'd think the G's they would pull would be the main deterrent to racing the oval. And the road course is a problem too. IIRC, the transition from the tri-oval to the road course is really nasty.

By the way, is Road Atlanta a non-starter too? i'd think that would be a good fit for either one of the OW series.
    Don't take life seriously; you'll never get out of it alive!