Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question

Is he related to Alan van der Merwe?

Love the photos too. Lots of Euro/American cars have interesting SA equivalents which we rarely see here.
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ^ Lots of old Trans-Am cars from here wound up in SA.

But I'm getting off topic.

Is the SA Rally Championship still going, post-apartheid?
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought of as a fool, then open it and remove all doubt." - Sir Winston Churchill

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusElise
    Is he related to Alan van der Merwe?

Love the photos too. Lots of Euro/American cars have interesting SA equivalents which we rarely see here.
    Not as far as I know, I remember reading that somewhere, at some stage.
    Michael Schumacher has not won 7 world championships by driving like a christian motorist, David Coulthard on the other hand...... - J. Clarkson

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BrentJackson
    Is the SA Rally Championship still going, post-apartheid?
    Yes, has always been, going I mean. No 4wd's in the top class though, yet very fast and competative.
    Michael Schumacher has not won 7 world championships by driving like a christian motorist, David Coulthard on the other hand...... - J. Clarkson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fly_ac
    Yes, has always been, going I mean. No 4wd's in the top class though, yet very fast and competative.
    All the top class cars are 2WD? That's gotta be unique in the world. hock:
    "It is better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought of as a fool, then open it and remove all doubt." - Sir Winston Churchill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello again

Can anyone know who`s the driver in this picture?

Anyone as more of this audi ?

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
    Hi all,

That pic looks like Sarel van der Merwe and Frans Boshoff difficult to say, but its either him or Geoff Mortimer, from memory they were the only 2 drivers to drive the Audi's in this country,

As for the premier category in South Africa, you will see on other topics on this forum, we were the pioneers of the S2000 category, Homologating the Toyota and VW , this year we will run 9 S2000's in the top class and a number of N4 cars including Evo 9, and the latest Subaru's

On any national Championship event we get between 50 and 70 cars for the event, and our Northern Regions championships gets up to 50 entries. ie rallying in SA is strong and Healthy.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant_RSA
    Hi all,

That pic looks like Sarel van der Merwe and Frans Boshoff difficult to say, but its either him or Geoff Mortimer, from memory they were the only 2 drivers to drive the Audi's in this country,
    I suspect it was Sarel and Frans in that one.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    If its 1988 then its Sarel vd Merwe driving. Geoff drove the car during 1987 while Sarel was away doing sportscar stuff. Frans Boshoff navigated for both drivers. Johan Everste also drove the short-wheel base non-winged Quattro Sport during 1988. VW also had a Passat driven by Nic de Waal which was basically a Quattro A1 (original Quattro) running gear in a Passat body.

And Serge Damseaux recently overtook Sarel's record for most SA rally wins, but Sarel still holds the record for most championships (11), and probably the most variety of cars used to win championships (Ford, Toyota, Audi)
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    could this be the one?
    It`s in Vw museam, in SA.
    I don`t know any more details about it.