Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat Tyres

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Flat Tyres

Poor old Lewis must be sick of failing stones.

First, the one in the European GP which saw his storming start up to near the top of the field wiped out and now this suspected de-lamination robs him of another podium.

OK, the first one wasn't Stones fault but I would be very interested in finding out the reason for the failure on this occassion.

What should have been a points gain is now a points loss because of a suspected control tyre failure.

Oh well, sh*t happens but he has had as much bad luck now as the other top runners so I suppose it's good he's still on the top.
    Justice is blind but doesn't have to be stupid.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Actually, I know it isn't funny but you could say that Bridgestone may be "chunking" away his championship.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat.tyres
    Poor old Lewis must be sick of failing stones.

First, the one in the European GP which saw his storming start up to near the top of the field wiped out and now this suspected de-lamination robs him of another podium.

OK, the first one wasn't Stones fault but I would be very interested in finding out the reason for the failure on this occassion.

What should have been a points gain is now a points loss because of a suspected control tyre failure.

Oh well, sh*t happens but he has had as much bad luck now as the other top runners so I suppose it's good he's still on the top.
    Are you the culprit? Naming yourself for Lewis's bad fortune?? :
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Certainly helped bunch up the championship slightly. And it was sadly the only interesting thing that happened that race.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    Are you the culprit? Naming yourself for Lewis's bad fortune?? :
    I thought after I changed my name last year from "Isn't the Mercedes Bulletproof" that things would improve

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    One thing that I've found interesting was the state of the fron tires that went on Alonso's car at the pitstops.
    I didn't pay that much attention or simply missed to look closely at what they put on Hamilton's car, but the ones that FA received were not new, rather pretty worn.

Maybe they just used to many tires before the race and had to use the less used ones at that moment with the result being a delaminating tire. It might be an explanation.

As for the team expecting that Bridgestone find an explanation for the failure after all that tire went through for almost a lap after the failure, well they are very optimist people.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    One thing that I've found interesting was the state of the fron tires that went on Alonso's car at the pitstops.
    I didn't pay that much attention or simply missed to look closely at what they put on Hamilton's car, but the ones that FA received were not new, rather pretty worn.

Maybe they just used to many tires before the race and had to use the less used ones at that moment with the result being a delaminating tire. It might be an explanation.

As for the team expecting that Bridgestone find an explanation for the failure after all that tire went through for almost a lap after the failure, well they are very optimist people.
    We already know what the cause was. Chunking. Look it up on Google or something so it couldn't possibly have anything to do with excessive wear, quite the opposite?

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Bridgestone believes that Lewis Hamilton's tyre failure in the Turkish Grand Prix was caused by delamination due to a phenomenon known as 'chunking', autosport.com can reveal.
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61860
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat.tyres
    We already know what the cause was. Chunking. Look it up on Google or something so it couldn't possibly have anything to do with excessive wear, quite the opposite?
    Sorry, I should have put at the beginning that what we don't know is why Chunking caused the tyre to fail in the first place.

If you look at a F1 tyre after a GP, you will see a mottled effect where material has been collected and melted together forming an uneven hotch-potch a bit like what a Chicken Doner looks like on the spit.

During the race, you don't normally have a problem because these marbles are off line and the tyre doesn't tend to absorb them but flicks them off.

Why this build up happened to the McLarens isn't really known but Chunkingnormally leads to understeer and vibration. It can appear similar to the effect of flat spotting and is pretty uncomfortable for the driver.

How the hell he managed to stay competitive in times with this going on is beyond me but why the tyre failed is what we're trying to establish as much as why it happened in the first place.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I have no idea what happened but it made me so so so happy. i don´t like this fellow one bit and I'd be glad to see him in a Spyker some day competing against the other monkeys.