Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The ACO has addressed the P1/P2 problem by adding 50 kg to the P2 cars for '08. The P1 class should be faster, as the top prototype class. This move is good for the long-term health of the series.

IMSA is considering whether or not to incorporate these rules, and Audi is considering leaving if they don't.

Duh! When Porsche came into P2, they were originally planning to eventually move Penske up to P1 and sell customer cars for P2. The factory (Penske) team remaining in P2 is inhibiting the existence of P2 customer teams. The one customer, Dyson, is likely to cut back to one car for '08. Penske is only staying in P2 because they have the "unfair advantage" there and are able to win regularly. Change the rules and they'll be in P1. So will one or two Acura teams. They want overall wins. Then privateers, in good number, will be able to justify entering P2.

We shouldn't be looking at losing both Audis and a Porsche. We should be growing the field.

It's probably too late for Porsche or Acura to put forward a serious P1 challenge for '08, so the main goals should be to keep Audi in the series, and effect the corporate strategy of Porsche and Acura for '09. That allows for a compromise for '08, such as adding 25 kg for races before Le Mans and the full 50 kg after. You don't want to piss off Porsche and Acura unnecessarily, but there should be no long-term compromise.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    only in P1, the P2's still get to bet open at least
    whats wrong with P1 and P2 to be open??I liked it the old way (2000-2002) when bentely EXP8 was on the track but I would not ban all the open top P1 cars they are now a strong part of prototype racing...I read something on the EI about the rule changes for 2010 but if it is true then it will be really sad...the P1 open cars will all go and the privateers as pescarolo maybe too if they don not find someone to sell them a closed car as henry constructed its own open car just a year ago and in three years time he will need to construct a new one that too much for private teams...and I do not think we will see so many factory teams to enter P1 in the future...ACO is wrong in this way.