Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2009 Free Agent Pool

Because I got bored I started compiling a list of drivers who I’ve heard are out there looking for a ride in the ICS next year. I limited the field to those who are candidates for full and part time rides, so I’m not looking at teams who run Indy and few other starts.

The biggest silly season questions out there is what is Walker and Forsythe going to do. I’ve heard rumors Red Bull is waiting until the end of the F-1 and NASCAR seasons to announce Forsythe-Red Bull racing. Supposedly Walker is buying equipment and hiring and could have a two-car or a Walker/Vision entry in 2009. If he gets full funding it will probably be Tracy and a younger driver. I heard a rumor, ie completely unconfirmed, that it’s going to be Walker/Monster Racing.

The only thing that is certain is that some will end outside looking in. Could be as many as four or five FT drivers this year without rides in 2009 depending on what happens with KVRT, and Conquest. I think Roth, Duno, and Bernoldi have turned their last laps in the IRL.

Robert Doornbos
    Outlook: Hugely talented driver, won a Superleague Formula, he likely brings money to a team in at least form of associates and potentially a primary in the form of Trust or ING.
    Likely teams: Rumored to have a deal signed with former Red Bull alum EJ Viso at HVM, KVRT is sponsor hunting and so is Panther

Franck Perera
    Outlook: Impressively fast driver with no sponsorship, Perera was likely auditioning for a drive with AJ at Chicagoland and did decently for himself.
    Likely teams: Foyt, Conquest, Forsythe

Townsend Bell
    Outlook: Underated, aging driver who brings with him partial sponsorship, Bell has shown he has the chops to compete in the IRL 2009. The image of him as a journeyman will probably keep him out a top ride, but as long as Justin Timberlake likes him he’ll be able to buy a ride somewhere.
    Likely teams: D&R, Roth Racing, PCM

Oriol Servia
    Outlook: Doesn’t have a deal signed with KVRT. A top 10 driver he’s deserving of a ride, but if he doesn’t come back to Kalkhoven and Vassar he’ll probably return to super-sub status. I hear his fate may largely be decided by CDW, which is why he doesn’t have a contract. If CDW comes on and wants Servia he stays, if CDW or a new sponsor doesn’t come in he probably stays, if CDW wants a new driver, he’s moving on

Will Power
    Outlook: Would need to find sponsorship should Aussie Vinyards pull out if Surfer’s doesn’t find a place on the schedule. No idea what would happen to Power if Team Aussie pulls it support. He could return to country or get picked up by another team, or jump to another series.

Tomas Scheckter
    Outlook: Talented, but there aren’t a lot of top teams. Hopefully LDR will go full time in 2009 with a sponsor who likes him.
    Liklely teams: LDR

Alex Taglaini
    Outlook: Impressive with his starts with Conquest, supposedly the team has been looking to find enough sponsorship to replace Bernoldi since June. Honda sponsoring Toronto combined with Roth likely told to give up driving increases the chance of Tags, PT, Carpentier and Andrew Ranger getting a FT ride.
    Likely teams: Conquest, Vision

Paul Tracy
    Outlook: Still somewhat of a rock star in Canada he impressed a lot of people at Edmonton. Not a lot of options out there, but supposedly Walker Racing is firming up, Conquest could also be a home if sponsorship is found
    Likely teams: Walker, Vison

Mario Dominguez Outlook: Hasn’t been especially impressive, missing the 500 hurt him and his team. Probably has some sponsorship, but the IRL snubbing markets with large amounts of hispanics probably hurt his sponsorship hunt.
    Likely teams: PCM, D&R

Bruno Juqueria
    Outlook: Would like to end up at a better team, but will likely return to DCR as there aren’t a lot of open, or potentially open, seats.

Buddy Rice
    Outlook: Likely to return to D&R but could move to another team. Hasn’t been signed yet.

Potential Rookies
    Alex Lloyd
    Outlook: Ganassi is high on Lloyd him and is supposedly working on a third car for him. Kid brings no sponsorship dollars and is apparently under a long term contract
    Likely teams: CGR or second car at RLR

James Hinchcliff
    Outlook: He’s stayed at Forsythe racing and did well enough at Long Beach. If Forsythe comes in I wouldn’t be surprised if Hinchcliff was one of the drivers.
    Likely teams: Forsythe

Franck Montegy
    Outlook: With AGR’s driver lineup locked up he and Matos are both looking for rides elsewhere. I heard a rumor he’s already signed with Forsythe for next year.
    Likely teams: Forsthe, Conquest

Rafa Matos
    Outlook: AGR is more than likely not going to run five cars. Supposedly they lured him away from CC with the promise of a ride in 2009. Now that the merger happened AGR doesn’t care a great deal about him. He’s pissed off Forsythe and KVRT so his options are somewhat limited. Could be one of the drivers Foyt or Walker is looking at.

Dillion Basttistini
    Outlook: Had a falling out with Panther about the same time Dan Wheldon was hired. I would be surprised to see him in the series, but the man is quick.

Andrew Ranger
    Outlook: Former CC standout, did well in the NASCAR race at Montreal. I haven’t heard him talking with any teams, but he left Conquest on good terms and has two years worth of oval experience in CASCAR and doesn’t seem to be garnering a lot of NASCAR attention. He could be a smart pick for someone.

Anthony Davis
    Outlook: Former Super Aguri driver was seen at Detroit. He’s a talented driver, has Honda connections and has been talking with Panther.

Longshots
    Patrick Carpentier
    Outlook: Didn’t catch on in NASCAR, has oval and road experience. I firmly believe there is pressure to put at least one Canadian in a full time ride so he might be eligible for Tony Bux, but he'd have to get in line behind Tags

Sebastien Bourdais
    Outlook: Still has his home in St. Pete. If STR dumps him he could return to America, but I think he has the STR seat through 2009.

Neel Jani
    Outlook: Showed speed in CC and is the reigning A1GP champion. If Red Bull returns he could get a look from them.

J.J. Yeley
    Outlook: He’s done in NASCAR, while he’s got a lot of oval experience he’s never been hugely impressive on road courses. Still, he could return to the place where his career started

Even farther out there:
    Nelson Phillipe
    Tristan Gommendy
    Michael Anmuller
    A.J. Allmendinger
    Sebastien Buemi
    Brendon Hartley
    Robert Wickins
    Alex Gurney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ...Move this one to a lettle less far out there: AJ Allmendinger is out of the Red Bull ride next year...(according to Speed)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also better add Indy-L runner-up Richard Antinucci in the potential
    rookie category. Wickens may remain in World Series by Renault. He is doing a great job in the series. Buemi will be in an STR race seat.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Go Townsend Bell! It took Dominguez something like 7 races of no Townsend Bell to win the ROTY. I'm sure if he subbed for Takagi at Walker (I think Walker wanted to run Bell after Tora got hurt) he would've ended up as ROTY. Too bad his expensive way of finding the limit of himself/his car worked against him.
    \"If you have a problem with what I\'m doing, talk to me, get it all out, then shut up.\" - Juan Pablo Montoya
    \"I tell ya, if my name was \'Juan Pablo Montoya,\' everyone would just kiss my ass!\" - David Letterman
    \"That was a mugging.\" - Tommy Kendall \"You can\'t spell \'fiasco\' without the FIA.\" Those are shark gills, not shark fins! Get it right!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AJ Allmendinger, Michael Valiante, Robert Doornbos, Alex Gurney, would be a start on my list.

I crossed out the Sperafico's.
    "Lawyers are the best investment"....Tom Leykis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HiWayStar
    ...Move this one to a lettle less far out there: AJ Allmendinger is out of the Red Bull ride next year...(according to Speed)
    Scott will say anything to get a Cup ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Just to let you know - I think you mean Anthony DaviDSON rather than Davis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yeah, so a number of the names are misspelled. Not like this was intended to be perfect. I'm also surprised that no one called me out for leaving of Vitor Meria, who is kinda short on options but could end up at LDR.

UPDATE: We can take Tags off the list. If you go through Conquest's super high produced website and find their guide for prospective sponsors. They say they will have a two car team and the only driver they list is Alex Taglaini, who will joined by quote "A driver of equal grit and determination."

I guess that means Sangari and Jamie Cammara aren't back in 2009, which I thought was kind of a lock.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    David Martinez should also be on the list, he was very impressive in the few starts he did as a rookie in Champ Car with the Forsythe Team, and rumors in Mexico are that he is working on a deal for next year.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DBell
    Scott will say anything to get a Cup ride.
    I believe he mean't SpeedTV
    The Other Side - "2011 Silly Season Update" Dec 17/2010
    Bookmark Us!