Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    I'm guessing you haven't visited a Finnish sauna, it exists and doesn't break the laws of physics.

The temperature of stones is much higher than 100°C, when you throw water onto them, it evaporates instantly.
    100°C is the temperature measured at a certain level in the room, which is the temperature of the air/water vapor mixture.

Body heat is more than just mass volume heating up, body tries to keep temperature in a certain level, if hot , release heat by sweating which cooles skin by evaporating.
    Are we talking centegrade or fareinheite

Im with ioan on this one. A room temprature of 100 degrees centegrade would blister your skin and scold your lungs although those stupid finns do try it. They even have a championship.
    Justice is blind but doesn't have to be stupid.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Oddly enough, where the temperature is 110°C. http://www.saunaheinola.com/
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat.tyres

Im with ioan on this one. A room temprature of 100 degrees centegrade would blister your skin and scold your lungs although those stupid finns do try it. They even have a championship.
    As a professional in heat transfer as well as regular Sauna bather - I assure you both that temperatures above 100 °C in Finnish sauna are not uncommon and do not make blisters or scold your lungs.

Neiher it is against physics to have sauna above 100 °C either. It is true that steam coming from the stones is not above 100 °C, but as the heat source is a lot hotter, it can heat up the sauna even more. It just means that above 100 °C the sauna cannot be anymore 100 % humid i.e. saturated.

And you can try how it feels, when you open an oven if you like - you'll notice that a heat of 200 °C will not cause blisters if not exposed to for a long time.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    You need a colder source to cool yourself when surrounded by air and water particles that are at 100°C.
    And in function of your volume it will take more or less but not ages, and definitely not more than 1 hour.

I suppose however that the stones or whatever you use in the sauna are at 80-100°C and not the whole sauna, air comprised.
    Isn't it funny, you have never visited Finnish Sauna - but even then - you believe you know better than those Finnish guys which have been in Sauna almost every weekend then they were one or two years old. D:

It really is true that the air temperature can be higher than 100 degrees Celsius and you still can be there. And to make things even worse many people on winter time goes naked out and take a couple “lap” in the snow, rolling around in the snow. The other alternative is to swim a minute or two in a hole in the ice in a lake or a sea.
    When you are a bit older, 75 or so, you should take it more careful but many goes in Sauna during whole their life. And I can tell you it’s the same in many places in Sweden too
    Two real racers: Vettel the :champion: of 2010, 2011 and 2012 - Kimi the :champion: of 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Juppe
    As a professional in heat transfer as well as regular Sauna bather - I assure you both that temperatures above 100 °C in Finnish sauna are not uncommon and do not make blisters or scold your lungs.

Neiher it is against physics to have sauna above 100 °C either. It is true that steam coming from the stones is not above 100 °C, but as the heat source is a lot hotter, it can heat up the sauna even more. It just means that above 100 °C the sauna cannot be anymore 100 % humid i.e. saturated.

And you can try how it feels, when you open an oven if you like - you'll notice that a heat of 200 °C will not cause blisters if not exposed to for a long time.
    Sorry Juppe, I was not trying to suggest you were wrong, merely that it would just about kill me is what I ment

I also know about the 110 world championship (as I mentioned) so wouldn't suggest it was impossible just as holding your finger over a naked flame for a second does not leave a blister.

It was jocular but ioan it seems is serious. Whatever you do though, do not ask him to back up his claim about the laws of physics!!!!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat.tyres

Really? It's not obly finnish people ..

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/411365/594597/

The German sauna competition uses the same rules: participants sit in 110-degree heat, with water poured on the stove every 30 seconds to create more steam.

Maybe that's the explanation why Schumi why that good??
    Two real racers: Vettel the :champion: of 2010, 2011 and 2012 - Kimi the :champion: of 2007

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    I'm guessing you haven't visited a Finnish sauna, it exists and doesn't break the laws of physics.

The temperature of stones is much higher than 100°C, when you throw water onto them, it evaporates instantly.
    100°C is the temperature measured at a certain level in the room, which is the temperature of the air/water vapor mixture.

Body heat is more than just mass volume heating up, body tries to keep temperature in a certain level, if hot , release heat by sweating which cooles skin by evaporating.
    Exactly.

I have been going to saunas since I was a child and have 2 saunas. 90°C is really nothing and I never bother going in at that temperature, I start at 110°C usually. My personal highest temperature that I have gone in is somewhere around 135°C and it is surviveable, as long as you dont throw much water on the stones.
    Half an hour in sauna at 90°C is nothing much, but obviously it depends on your culture and experience. For your average finn, that is a piece of cake (I am, btw, not finnish).

I think that for many people, it is weird to know that people go to saunas at such temperatures, I have plenty of experience of that. When I was holidaying at Madeira once, the sauna at the hotel was set at around 60°C and people were finding that a bit hot, whereas for me it was unusually cold.
    When I had some friends over from Germany, I invited them to my sauna and we went in at around 85°C. It was ok for a few minutes, until I threw some water on the stones. I had trouble holding back laughter when the germans were running out quickly the moment I had thrown the water .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcSI-bAvyQk
    Watch that video

As for Kimi looking red, it has been explained in this thread well already.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Oddly enough, where the temperature is 110°C. http://www.saunaheinola.com/
    I was just reading that link and thinking of going there next year
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jas123f1

The German sauna competition uses the same rules: participants sit in 110-degree heat, with water poured on the stove every 30 seconds to create more steam.
    Maybe that's the explanation why Schumi was that good??

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jas123f1

Maybe that's the explanation why Schumi why that good??
    And there was me thinking it was just the Finns that are start, raving bonkers

I can see why it'd be good training though. On a hot day, when you peel off your suit and proofs, you feel like you're stepping out of a sauna. I suppose the more used to that environment you are, the better you can function and maintain concentration.

I've never been into the physical side too much as I never needed to but now days, it's fundemental.