Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hands off our Motorsport

Football (Soccer) Stars and Clubs hands off our Motorsport.

After having received full FIA approval in December 2005, the new Superleague Formula Championship will first run on the top European circuits from August to November 2008. The series will gradually extend worldwide to a maximum of 17 races. Using a development of Elan Motorsport Technolgies' Panoz single-seater chassis, the series will be supported by leading Football (Soccer) teams. The intentention is for a minimum of 10 football teams to run two cars each. AC Milan, PSV Eindoven, FC Porto and olympiacos are on board and others are reportedly close to signing. The series will highlight young talent, and points and US $1.35 million prize money will be awared across first to last place in each round.

I think that the big clubs in Europe have ruined football at least for the smaller clubs and football players and rich board owners are...well the just get my back up. And now they want a bit of motorsport..before long you will have to pay double the amount to watch a race and not just that do we realy whant football supports at the races!

We can have fun here about footballers and teams regarding motorsport.

"I would like to see Wayne Rooney fit into a single seater plus the helmet would be huge.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Eh?
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Red face

This daft idea has been kicking around for the last 6/7 years, at least. It was originally going to be called Premier1 Grand Prix and start in 2003 or something.
    It isn't going to happen - I wouldn't worry.
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wasn't there supposed to be a Leeds United team?
    You lot still here?!

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    If big money could ruin motorsports it has already done so. Look at modern day F1.
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Iain
    Wasn't there supposed to be a Leeds United team?
    There certainly was; they had the car and everything.
    I think the Premier1 cars might have been recycled as development models for the A1 GP ones, but I might be wrong.
    Speedqueens website is offline while I rehome it, but it will be back, and much bigger than before.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think this is the goofiest idea to come down the pike in a long time. That said, racing is already overpriced for supporters if you go to f1, so what would Soccer do to it? It might even bring new people to the sport.

This cross pollination of different sports owners getting into racing isn't new. NASCAR has already shown this. Jack Roush, the first owner of a "superteam" in Nextel Cup needed some investment, and sold half the team ownership to the owners of the Boston Red Sox of MLB. The team is now "Roush-Fenway Motorsports" (Fenway for you overseas is the famous ballpark that the Red Sox play in). George Gillet, who owns a piece of one of the Premier League teams and owns the Montreal Canadiens outright has also bought into Evernham Racing in NASCAR as well. This interest of owners from Football in other sports isn't new..... but I doubt this particular scheme will work. I think most football owners have enough on their plate trying to sign the next David Beckham, never mind trying to find the next Michael Schumacher
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusElise
    There certainly was; they had the car and everything.
    I think the Premier1 cars might have been recycled as development models for the A1 GP ones, but I might be wrong.
    They were recycled into GPM cars I believe.

Football and motorsports are two entirely different markets with fanbases that are generally from different segments of society. I can't see large numbers of football fans crossing over into motorsports just because their team (and I think only 2-3 teams per country will have a car anyway) runs a car or two.

The Premier1 thing failed because of a lack of interest, I can't believe they're still trying to flog this dead horse.

That said, it reflects well on the strength of openwheel racing in Europe at mo that football teams are looking to expand into it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some interesting thought: I find the rule of offset in soccer similar in nature to pit-passing (ie. goal = scoring must be done on the field by the players' own merits). Maybe Premier1 should ban this? Or require the driver to give back positions gained by pitting?

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I think most football owners have enough on their plate trying to sign the next David Beckham, never mind trying to find the next Michael Schumacher
    Excuse me my total ignorance of what concerns football/soccer but... has David Beckham ever won anything? What has made him so famous? His wife? His hairstyles? Keep in mind that this is a genuine question.
    .................................................. ..................................................