Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F1 Enigmas

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Regards to Frentzen and Reutimann - Patrick Head has a way with people. Williams prefer grafters rather than consoling drivers.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Given the anniverasary, I think Mike Hawthorn deserves a mention. Admittedly some of his lack lustre performances are now known to be due to the kidney complaint he suffered from.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keysersoze
    Kovalainen

Good answers above, especially Ralf. Perhaps add Ivan Capelli.
    Capelli is a good choice. He occasionally showed startling form with the Leyton House March, when the car's handling was perfect, but he sank without trace at Ferrari in '92.

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futuretiger9
    Capelli is a good choice. He occasionally showed startling form with the Leyton House March, when the car's handling was perfect, but he sank without trace at Ferrari in '92.
    I never really understood what happened to Capelli at Ferrari. Ok, the car was poor, and Ivan didn't strike me as someone who would wring the neck of the car like Alesi his team-mate, but given the job he'd done at Leyton House it was extraordinary the way he just faded away.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    I never really understood what happened to Capelli at Ferrari. Ok, the car was poor, and Ivan didn't strike me as someone who would wring the neck of the car like Alesi his team-mate, but given the job he'd done at Leyton House it was extraordinary the way he just faded away.
    Capelli was occasionally a bit "hit and miss" whilst at Leyton House, and he jus didn't seem to be psychologically equipped to withstand the pressure of driving for Ferrari. A few observers suggested that he had been "found out" at Ferrari, and that he had been flattered by the exceptional aerodynamics (courtesy of Adrian Newey) of the Leyton House.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I know his F1 career was short, but id add Jean Pierre Jabouille to the list, looking at his stats, he only had three points scoring finishes, but 2 of those ended up as wins.
    "Alboreto, into the pits, and im going to stop the startwatch" (Murray Walker, Monaco 1987)

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1
    I know his F1 career was short, but id add Jean Pierre Jabouille to the list, looking at his stats, he only had three points scoring finishes, but 2 of those ended up as wins.
    That wasn't down to him. The Renault was chronicaly unreliable during the period that they learned how to make a turbo work.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futuretiger9
    Capelli was occasionally a bit "hit and miss" whilst at Leyton House, and he jus didn't seem to be psychologically equipped to withstand the pressure of driving for Ferrari. A few observers suggested that he had been "found out" at Ferrari, and that he had been flattered by the exceptional aerodynamics (courtesy of Adrian Newey) of the Leyton House.
    The odd thing about Capelli for me - he did a good job at times with the Leyton House, which was a midfield team on most days, followed by a tough time at Ferrari - was that he signed on with Jordan where he was just plain HORRIBLE at the back of the field and then threw in the towel after only two races. Yikes!

Same with Modena - Once highly touted and had a few good drives when the Tyrrell was working properly, but when saddled with the 2nd year Jordan he was completely lost and never heard from again (in F1)...

Quote Originally Posted by DazzlaF1
    Jabouille gave his all to developing the Renault Turbo engine. Given that it was chronically unreliable not just at the start in 1977 but up until 1983, the statistics give a wholly false impression of Jean-Pierre.

Liked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Jabouille gave his all to developing the Renault Turbo engine. Given that it was chronically unreliable not just at the start in 1977 but up until 1983, the statistics give a wholly false impression of Jean-Pierre.
    That's what I thought about him as well, since by that time he was in the twilight of his career.

During the infancy of my enthusiasm 3 decades ago, I had to do a double-take on a small sports-car racing article in Road & Track issue from the 1960's. Driving for Matra I believe.
    FIDO - Forget It, Drive On