Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unhappy Motorsport career Advice? Need some feedback.

Hope this qualifies for Chit Chat

Hello forum, I'm from Canada.

Im somewhat embarrassed to admit ive passively been applying for jobs in Motorsport/F1 for about 2 years now with only one interview. Although I did get feedback once from a good lad from RedBull who told me that my location is the biggest issue as any employment would require sponsorship. My CV/CL tailored for the roles I apply for, I have had them reviewed multiple times as-well.

I went to College for Electrical Engineering Control Systems and Business Marketing. Currently working for Magna International in Automation as a Controls Designer for some years now (Hardware/software integration, programming and much more). Some personal projects along the way such as my WRX racecar I built from the ground up, from wiring, engine, drivetrain, tuning, the car was stripped completely. Also took it on track.

The roles I have been applying for are not engineering roles which Id imagine require a degree. I have been applying for various technician roles.

Since motorsport isn't particularly popular where I live, I'm not sure who to contact for advice or feedback, its hard for me to accept my current job not because I am ungrateful, but because I need to work for something I am passionate about. People in Europe and especially the UK are blessed to have that in your backyard!

I'm not sure if this will be seen, but if it is, I hope you have a wonderful day. Ciao.

Edit: Just to add, the one interview I had for a motorsport company in Europe (dont want to say the name) that went very well, he essentially offered me a role within the first interview and offered to fly me out for a week as a trial. Of course, I accepted and was ecstatic and very relieved. Some weeks went by and some follow up emails, I then received an apology that they were very busy and nothing for a couple months after, gutted.
    Last edited by Buma; 16th May 2024 at 23:03.

Liked 624 Times in 333 Posts
    My advice is to consider editing your post. You are pretty identifiable in a very public forum and if your current employer has internet police they may find this interesting. Of course, ignore me if that doesn't bother you.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    My advice is to consider editing your post. You are pretty identifiable in a very public forum and if your current employer has internet police they may find this interesting. Of course, ignore me if that doesn't bother you.
    Thanks! Definitely Ill remove a bit more personal info but fortunately my bosses are supportive of my alternative career journey so no worries.