Page 49 of 84 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
    Liked 621 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by becher View Post
    Exactly, you want to be able to look at the results and determine how many points each driver got from the top of your head. If you have to go to ewrc and check saturday and sunday results separately and then apply two different point schemes it's not exactly customer (=fan) friendly.
    Everybody's different, I know if I want the rally results, I look there. And if I want the championship standings, I look there. I never could distribute 116 points and calculate new standings of 10-20 drivers on the top of my head.

Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post

Many people didn't read properly, jumped to conclusions and spread false information. Like people deciding in their own heads this is Dave Richard's fault lol. I burnt my toast this morning, Dodgy Dave struck again grrr!
    Yeah exactly, thank you! If people would read rulebook first this situation wouldn't happen. It's simple. You look at the changes and there is something that isn't clear to you? Try to find an answer in the rulebook. Didn't find the answer there? Then it's time to discuss, maybe someone else finds the answer.

But no, people rather jump to conclusions and even if someone actually links the answer in the rulebook, like you did WRCStan, many people here still ignores it lol.

3. Likes: WRCStan (17th December 2023)
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts
    Pickems 2024 will be interesting

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    When you need to change the points system, you know there's a problem. I don't understand the problem with 'Sunday cruising'....it's a part of motorsport; nearing the finish of an event, if you're in a safe position, why not play it safe, and get to the finish.
    The problem is a lack of top cars on the final day.......not the points system.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

6. Likes: b3637853 (18th December 2023),becher (17th December 2023),Eli (17th December 2023),ipe (17th December 2023),Katvala (17th December 2023),Lead (17th December 2023),PLuto (17th December 2023),Rallyper (17th December 2023),seb_sh (17th December 2023),skarderud (17th December 2023),the sniper (17th December 2023),ZoomanSP206 (18th December 2023)
    Liked 238 Times in 125 Posts
    Yeah but we won't magically get more cars. There are much bigger changes needed for that, but we all know FIA won't make them... They didn't make them in last 25 years and won't make them anytime soon.

So it's at least some change that could make the race more atractive.

8. Likes: WRCStan (17th December 2023)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Rules need simplification and freedom, not the opposit.

3 days, minimum 100 km SS per day.
    minimum ss km in total 300, max 400. Endurance perspective vs 3 x sprints.

points for 1-15 using same scale as in ERC: 30, 24, 21, 19, 17, 15, 13, 11, 9, 7, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 point(s). Reason easier to get sponsors with points in hand.

Powerstage gets own competition on last stage in every rally. Minimum ps length 10 km.
    points given: 10, 7, 5, 3, 2, 1.

Same systems used for all championships in WRC, (wrc1, wrc2, wrc3),

Juniors: own rules for scoring and tyres

- Tyres free in wrc2 and 3.
    - all season class winners named world champions WRC1, 2 and 3.
    - system for small and large services during rally need to be adopted.
    - notes confirmation crews allowed in wrc1-3 (gravel crews) reason; safety.

- Normal pump fuel mandatory in all classes. Reason, cost control.

new scoring system.

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th
    30 24 21 19 17 15 13 11
    9th 10th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th
    9 7 5 4 3 2 1

Liked 621 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    When you need to change the points system, you know there's a problem. I don't understand the problem with 'Sunday cruising'....it's a part of motorsport; nearing the finish of an event, if you're in a safe position, why not play it safe, and get to the finish.
    The problem is a lack of top cars on the final day.......not the points system.
    With respect to your opinions Andy, Sulland, others too; you are 'old farts' as somebody happily self-identified earlier in this thread. Your vision of WRC/rallying/motorsport isn't shared by the FIA and WRCPromoter.

If you can't see the problems they see and only see problems they don't, and that they don't fix your observed problems is a problem of theirs; is this the series for you?

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    With respect to your opinions Andy, Sulland, others too; you are 'old farts' as somebody happily self-identified earlier in this thread. Your vision of WRC/rallying/motorsport isn't shared by the FIA and WRCPromoter.
    I think you are partially right.
    My impression is that the promotor does what they can to make the european sport rally, into something americans would like. Quick, compact and tv friendly.
    But again they are americans, and they are not always logical, seen with european glasses.

Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts

If you can't see the problems they see and only see problems they don't, and that they don't fix your observed problems is a problem of theirs; is this the series for you?
    So we're told the new potential audience for the WRC is young and has a short attention span, so the change that is made is the introduction of a points system that has to be studied if you have any chance of understanding it (kids love to study), when the new potential audience wouldn't even have been aware of the problem it was trying to solve...

Liked 1,835 Times in 710 Posts
    Many people didn't read properly, jumped to conclusions and spread false information. Like people deciding in their own heads this is Dave Richard's fault lol. I burnt my toast this morning, Dodgy Dave struck again grrr!
    He was involved, no need for mocking. This change was discussed in Baku and then signed off by the task force (Richards and Reid). (https://dirtfish.com/rally/wrc/wrcs-...unday-driving/)

There are multiple potential other solutions to Sunday cruising and they chose one of the stupidest ones. There are issues with this solution besides "hurr durr people don't read":
    a. the rally "winner" can go home with fewer points the someone finishing lower down. Even if by chance it doesn't happen it's still a stupid rule if it allows this in my opinion.
    b. he final rally classification does not directly award points at all. Instead points are given by: an intermediate classification, a leg classification and a stage classification.

Who asked for this? I know there was Jonne Haltunen's interview where he suggested that the rally was over on Saturday and then Sunday are just two passes of the PS with points give for the total time and drivers suggested giving points for Sunday, or points for stage wins. Any of those suggestions would have been more straightforward and would have achieved the same goal. Instead perhaps this was a classic case of "not invented here" so they had to go out of their way to come up with something else. Complex rules are prone to having issues either by being exploited or by producing unintended consequences, while simple rules tend to be more robust. It's frustrating that while they did do something and personally I think will achieve the goal of reducing Sunday cruising, they did it in such a stupid way, like it was the result of a night of drinking in some bar in Baku.

14. Likes: Eli (17th December 2023),RS (17th December 2023)