Page 46 of 52 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast
    Liked 171 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think Taka impressed by being a consistent finisher and being third in the points after Portugal. He finished in top 8 in all rallies of 2022 except NZ where he went off (also went off in Monte but lost only so little time that finished 8th).

Also remember that these people are working for WRC Promoter and teams are paying a big money to be a part of the series. They cannot say much negative things. Finally it's a part of British politeness.
    If you ever seen British football coverage, you'd see how unpolite they can be
    It's, like you said, because in WRC teams have the journalists by the balls

2. Likes: AndyRAC (24th April 2023),dnb (24th April 2023),Rally Hokkaido (26th April 2023)
    Liked 1,640 Times in 748 Posts
    In general I like the positive tone instead of ranting, teasing, offending etc, but it should stay realistic.

And in practice, if they could start offending someone, they have the risk that they will not have any (normal) interview with those persons anymore. There is team-feeling and it's even stronger there for a while now due the Breen incident.

4. Likes: J4MIE (25th April 2023)
    Liked 171 Times in 98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    In general I like the positive tone instead of ranting, teasing, offending etc, but it should stay realistic.

And in practice, if they could start offending someone, they have the risk that they will not have any (normal) interview with those persons anymore. There is team-feeling and it's even stronger there for a while now due the Breen incident.
    Theres a simple solution to make the coverage more objective and professional. Go back to selling broadcasts to tv networks who can cover it without bias, as their careers dont depend on not offending the Toyota CEO
    Last edited by Kras; 24th April 2023 at 07:21.

6. Likes: AndyRAC (24th April 2023)
    Liked 1,136 Times in 609 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I think Taka impressed by being a consistent finisher and being third in the points after Portugal. He finished in top 8 in all rallies of 2022 except NZ where he went off (also went off in Monte but lost only so little time that finished 8th).
    But in how many of those rallies did we have more than 8 wrc cars without superrally at the finish?

He is not terrible, but we all know that he wouldn't be in a wrc car if he wasn't japanese.

Seems, that for me it's not that big problem if they try to be "too nice".

I say, that this time in general I don't have too much to complain - technically it worked, no (stream or web environment) interruptions, Rally2 got nice coverage.

And actually I like that instead of "how disappointed are you?" (Molly's default question previously) they (Molly, Seb) now serve the positive outcomes for drivers. I would say good job!

here (in this forum) we need to clarify: this is my opinion, not the ultimate truth. If you are different opinion, I'm ok that you can keep yours and I don't try to convince anyone here.

Liked 405 Times in 214 Posts
    It is a very interesting discussion. Indeed the problem of fake positivity and totally uncritical feel good "journalism" is a function of everyone being in it together. The All Live people are working for the promoter so everything must be fine and dandy and stuff like Dirtfish ( not an established print media) is also heavily dependent on making it all look picture perfect.

Mind you this problem isn't unique to the WRC, since Ecclestone is gone and the circus muppets of Liberty took over its the same there. The journalists work for FOM so every driver is super talented and super nice, every team is doing a great job and for sure every race was a cracker. F1 related online media can be similar to Dirtfish but thanks to a bigger audience they can go bit further with their journalism but when you compare them to long standing print like Motorsport Magazine it's night and day. They are not dependant and can and will through shit at the promoter when it's deserved. In short we need something like Motorsport Magazine to put everyone in the current promoter bubble back in check.

10. Likes: AndyRAC (24th April 2023),Rally Hokkaido (26th April 2023),the sniper (25th April 2023)
    Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kras View Post
    There's a simple solution to make the coverage more objective and professional. Go back to selling broadcasts to tv networks who can cover it without bias, as their careers don't depend on not offending the Toyota CEO
    Yes, I agree. Sports series that have their own coverage are all the same; they're never objective or critical. You can be critical whilst remaining polite and reasonable.....but they won't do this; understandably.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

But can you can an example as well? What this all-live could say instead of what they said (to satisfy your understanding of being objective)?

Liked 405 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    But can you can an example as well? What this all-live could say instead of what they said (to satisfy your understanding of being objective)?
    I don't think it is about the commentators slamming Taka when he is 15 seconds of on a stage but rather being a bit more honest about drivers like him or Greensmith. Greensmith was no muppet at the wheel of a Rally1 but when no journalist is willing to acknowledge that he is a well heeled and quick gentleman driver it rubs people the wrong way and you get the Greensmith crash jokes or that Taka shouldn't be in a Rally1.

But we must also understand that the talent depth in rallying is so small that there are very few drivers out there who would be as quick as Taka in a Rally1, even if he is sometimes miles of.

14. Likes: J4MIE (25th April 2023),Rally Hokkaido (26th April 2023)
    Liked 3,800 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TypeR View Post
    Fourmaux going very fast with Fiesta rally2 car, very good PS from him.

Seems like both Ford cars have improved on tarmac..
    Finally they started to do a proper development. But still lot of work in front of them, especially around engine. But count with times on Sunday (and especially on powerstage) is not so significant - lot of fights were finished so competitors were only trying to reach the finish, there were different conditions for the drivers (for example Greensmith was starting almost one hour later than Fourmaux, with more dirty road after previous cars), also tyre choice was important...