Hybrid View

Liked 792 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I was under the impression that the point of the new regs was to allow for closer racing .

As they were before , the regs had everyone complaining that they couldn't follow closely .
    The ironic result of previous diffuser development had added the responsibility to make sure nobody could follow closely .

The working group came up with this formula to increase the air pressure directly behind the cars , and it seems to have been very effective .

I did hear of some fiddling they are considering , for some reason .
    I read that they may have teams , in a sprint race trial this year , use only the hard tire in Q1 , medium tire in Q2 , and soft in Q3 .

I'm not sure what that gives us , other than some scrambling to figure out all the compounds in practices , but it seems like it might be a good step forward in environmental terms .
    To be fair, they have achieved the target of closer racing. However, it has made the fight in the midfield closer and fiercer. The entertainment of F1 racing has been mostly in the midfield for many years now, and the entertainment they produce is not rewarded according to the level of entertainment they produce. Maybe the teams that produce the most entertaining racing of wheel-to-wheel duelling should be paid the most, regardless of where in the grid that racing is occurring. Not necessarily the team that won the race if they won it without engaging in any battle to win the race.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 14th March 2023 at 20:29.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    To be fair, they have achieved the target of closer racing. However, it has made the fight in the midfield closer and fiercer. The entertainment of F1 racing has been mostly in the midfield for many years now, and the entertainment they produce is not rewarded according to the level of entertainment they produce. Maybe the teams that produce the most entertaining racing of wheel-to-wheel duelling should be paid the most, regardless of where in the grid that racing is occurring. Not necessarily the team that won the race if they won it without engaging in any battle to win the race.
    I cannot see any way to quantify exactly how "entertaining" a team is , and how to fairly reward this .