Page 34 of 82 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Is Leclerc too error-prone to become F1 World Champion?
    When Charles Leclerc crashed out of qualifying at Turn 7 during the Miami Grand Prix, I can't have been the only one thinking the same thing: Does he commit too many errors to be a World Champion?
    13 May 6:15PM
    Author Rory Mitchell
    RacingNews365

The mistake during Miami Grand Prix qualifying was Charles Leclerc's second after crashing out at Melbourne in four corners of racing. RacingNews365.com asks: Can the Monegasque end Ferrari's 15-year Drivers' Championship drought?

It was a key moment for Leclerc as he could have snatched pole away from Red Bull for a second successive time in 2023, after Max Verstappen made an unforced error on his first lap.
    Instead the Ferrari driver took enough kerb to unsettle the rear of his SF-23 and spun off into the TecPro for a second time at that corner, an impressive feat given the run-off is as large as the Miami Beach at Turn 7.

‘Too error-prone?’;

https://racingnews365.com/is-leclerc...world-champion

More brutal Charles Leclerc criticism: ‘He’s driving beyond his capabilities’
    May 2023 1:00 PM
    Henry Valantine 12
    PlanetF1.com

David Coulthard believes the recent mistakes from Charles Leclerc are evidence that he is “driving beyond his own capabilities” at the moment.

“It’s not acceptable and that’s a chink in his armour,” Coulthard said of Leclerc’s errors on Channel 4. He’s brilliantly fast, he extracts a lot from that car, but he makes too many mistakes and there’s too much damage.”

“He knows it, the team will know it, they’ll accept it because what else can you do? You know, you’re not going to fire him, he’s the strongest asset they have there in terms of extracting the last little bit from the car.”

‘Beyond his capabilities’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/charle...-capabilities/

Charles Leclerc urged to ‘stop crashing his car’
    Charles Leclerc and Ferrari have had a poor start to the 2023 season, dropping behind Aston Martin and Mercedes.
    12 May 2023
    by David Freeman
    Formula1News

2009 F1 World Champion Jenson Button remains sympathetic to Charles Leclerc as things take a turn for the worst. After the Miami GP, the former World Champion stated:

“He probably does take more risk than most and he has even said that in qualifying, but he has also put it on pole position when we didn’t think they had a chance over the Red Bull, so it is a tricky one.”

“We are always going to pick him up on what just happened. I like how he goes racing, I like how he puts everything on the line.”

‘Stop crashing his car’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/charles-l...shing-his-car/

What Ferrari makes of Leclerc shunts that ‘reflect his mindset’
    May 13 2023
    By Edd Straw
    The Race

Ferrari’s Jock Clear believes crashes from Charles Leclerc such as his one on the final run of Q3 during the Miami Grand Prix weekend are “a reflection of his mindset” when taking on a rival in a quicker Formula 1 car. Clear, a vastly experienced engineer, is Leclerc’s Ferrari driver coach. They have worked together since Leclerc joined Ferrari ahead of the 2019 season, meaning Clear knows the 25-year-old well.

“I think so,” said Clear when asked if Leclerc has to find the limit. “And in some ways this maybe is a reflection of his mindset when he is up against a car [Red Bull] that is demonstrably quicker than him. It’s, ‘I’m just going to have to make the difference myself’, which, of course, physics ultimately catches you out.”

“We’re not going to say to him, ‘Look calm down, Charles’ because over the course of a year his qualifying is outstanding and that puts him in a very strong position for a lot of races, as it did last weekend [in Baku], clearly.”

“Over the course of a year his qualifying is outstanding”;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/what-...t-his-mindset/

Charles Leclerc's defiant promise after Miami GP crashes speaks volumes about Ferrari ace.
    Leclerc crashed not once but twice in Miami, sparking criticism from some about the way he drives and suggestions from some that his penchant for a mistake is a liability for Ferrari.
    13:21, 12 May 2023
    By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer

Leclerc insists he has no plans to make any major changes to his approach when he gets behind the wheel. When asked if he felt his driving style might need some tweaks, he simply replied: "No, I don't think so." Clearly, Leclerc has not suffered a dent to his confidence through those collisions. The Ferrari racer did admit, though, that he might need to approach the final part of qualifying a little differently.

He added: "I obviously need to, in those weekends especially, just manage it differently in Q3. But, at the end, it's like this. I think I put myself also in a difficult situation because I wanted a very aggressive set-up for qualifying. Knowing that this was the set-up, I will need to extract the most out of the car. I probably did a step too far, and this is something I'll look at."

‘Leclerc's defiant promise’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...after-29963288

Coulthard: Leclerc errors are ‘not acceptable’
    13:40 Sat, 13 May 2023.
    by Rob Kershaw
    Motorsport Week

Ex-Formula 1 driver David Coulthard reckons Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc needs a World Championship under his belt in order to reduce the number of errors he is making.

The 13-time race winner suggested that a title may have a calming effect on Leclerc. “But I think that all he needs is a World Championship and then he will be the complete package,” added Coulthard. “Right now, he doesn’t have that World Championship. Therefore, he’s driving a little bit desperate and driving beyond his own capabilities.”

‘Leclerc errors are ‘not acceptable’;

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2023/...ot-acceptable/

Coulthard: 'Unacceptable' mistakes a chink in Leclerc's armour
    14/05/2023 at 08:43
    Phillip van Osten
    F1i.com

In Miami last time out, Leclerc crashed twice over the weekend at the same corner, his second error occurring in qualifying and potentially costing him pole position or at the very minimum a spot on the front row of the race.

The Ferrari charger's Australian Grand Prix was also a wash-out due to a mistake and a contact on the opening lap of the race in Melbourne. Last year, Leclerc's early championship battle with Max Verstappen suffered a massive set-back when he crashed in his home race at Paul Ricard while the event.

Whether the five-time Grand Prix winner is error-prone is a difficult call to make given Ferrari's often sorry state in terms of performance, reliability or operational mistakes and which often push Leclerc to the ragged edge and beyond.

‘Push Leclerc to the ragged edge and beyond’;

https://f1i.com/news/474299-coulthar...cs-armour.html

Charles Leclerc told to calm down as his driving comes under fire
    Ferrari are continuing to struggle and star man Charles Leclerc is bearing the brunt of the criticism this year.
    by David Freeman
    13 May 2023
    Formula1News

The Miami Grand Prix will have served as a reality check for Charles Leclerc. Saturday’s qualifying ended in despair with him spinning off, signalling the end of the session – the hunt for pole foiled. Former F1 driver and pundit Jolyon Palmer has spoken out on Leclerc’s poor form.

“For such a talented driver, it’s fair to say he makes a lot of mistakes. Leclerc has bemoaned the 2023 Ferrari as being inconsistent with balance, overly wind sensitive and overall tricky to drive, which it might well be, but his driving has also got to be questioned.”

“What we are lacking is consistency from the car,” Leclerc said. “Not even from corner to corner, just in the same corner I can have a huge oversteery balance and then a huge understeery balance.”

‘Calm down’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/charles-l...es-under-fire/

FIA vs FIA and how chaos came so close to catastrophe.
    Just when you think you've seen it all in Formula 1, you can trust the FIA to come along and make you realise there's always something unprecedented around the corner.
    Monday 1 May 2023 19:45
    Jim Kimberley
    GPFans

In the Sliding Doors alternate universe of the 2023 Azerbaijan Grand Prix, where the media didn't get out of the way in time, there wouldn't be memes filling social media about Ocon's pit lane entry being akin to old-school rally stages; there'd be Formula 1 under the microscope from every news outlet on the planet.

At a time when the sport's popularity is booming, a car running over a dozen people would be one of the world's top stories for weeks. Alpine withdrawing from Formula 1, a forever-changed Esteban Ocon, life-changing injuries for some, manslaughter charges for others, funerals, and grieving families fill that parallel universe I'm so glad not to inhabit. It's a serious failing.

‘FIA vs FIA’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...2023-analysis/

FIA criticised after tow truck appears on track mid-race in Miami
    The FIA has faced criticism from motorsport fans after footage emerged online showing a tow truck on track during the start of the Porsche Carrera Cup.
    13 May 2023
    by Edward Hardy
    Formula1News

The FIA is under fire from motorsport fans after a potentially dangerous incident at the start of the Porsche Carrera Cup in Miami. The Porsche Carrera Cup North America, now in its third season, saw drivers take to the track around Miami in between Grand Prix events at the Miami International Autodrome for round three of the championship.

‘Tow truck appears on track mid-race’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/fia-criti...race-in-miami/

F1 star drives wrong way around Miami Grand Prix track as FIA takes dim view
    The F1 stewards usually prefer it when all 20 drivers are going in the same direction around a circuit, so were bemused when one of them briefly lost his bearings in the Miami sun
    17:59, 7 May 2023
    By Daniel Moxon F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Stewards at the Miami Grand Prix gave one Formula 1 star a telling off after he drove the wrong way around the circuit at this weekend's event. It happened during practice on Friday, when Nyck de Vries was getting to grips with a circuit upon which he has never raced before. And the Dutchman was pushing a little too hard when he lost control and his AlphaTauri was sent into a spin at Turn 12.

He did not hit a wall or barrier and his engine did not cut out so he was able to get moving again quickly. But De Vries decided there wasn't enough room to turn his car around at that part of the track. So he drove backwards along the track to find a better place to spin his car back around into the right direction. Unsurprisingly, the stewards took a dim view of his decision to drive into oncoming traffic.

As De Vries used the run off area to swing his car back around, the stewards noted the incident and later looked into it. An investigation did not lead to a penalty for the AlphaTauri driver, but he was given a warning. "It's a new track for me and grip levels are extremely low, so you get quicker with each lap that you do," explained the Dutchman. "Even though the temperature is quite high, tyre warm-up seems to be a challenge because they need a long time before they perform."

‘FIA takes dim view’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...vries-29919068

FIA investigates second pit-lane incident after Lando Norris near-miss
    9 May 2023 • 11:09am
    By Tom Cary, SENIOR SPORTS CORRESPONDENT
    The Telegraph

The incident comes just a week after stewards at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix ordered the FIA to review its parc ferme procedures after a group of "permitted media and other personnel” were allowed into the pit lane before the race had finished.

Ocon, who said he had been "arriving at 300kph" prior to entering the pit lane, described the situation as “crazy" and said F1 had been lucky to avoid a “big disaster. I had to brake, I had to avoid and it was pretty scary,” the Frenchman said. “Luckily it was all good. I had no idea that they were there. I've never seen that before."

‘It was pretty scary’;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...investigation/

FIA launch investigation that could result in 'removal of passes' as F1 rule broken
    The FIA tried to draw attention to new post-race rules brought in for the Miami Grand Prix.
    16:09, Tue, May 9, 2023
    By Stuart Ballard
    Daily and Sunday Express

Formula One's governing body has confirmed they're looking into footage that showed another near-miss in the pit lane at the Miami Grand Prix. The FIA came under scrutiny in Baku when Esteban Ocon narrowly avoided catastrophe at the end of the race when he came into the pits where a group of people had already gathered.

An FIA spokesperson told the PA news agency: "We are aware of the incident and looking into it with local organisers." It comes after the FIA also issued a threat to ban anybody who infringed on the pit-lane rules.

"The FIA has apologised," he told Sky Sports News. "They assured us that this is not going to happen anymore. Thank God nothing happened and so all good from now.”

'Removal of passes';

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...cLaren-F1-news

Aston Martin set to ditch Mercedes and use Honda engines.
    Honda and Red Bull's partnership will conclude at the end of 2025, prior to the new power unit regulations being introduced.
    13 May 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

It’s been reported that Aston Martin won’t be using Mercedes power units from 2026, with the Silverstone-based team expected to enter a new partnership with Japanese manufacturer Honda.

Honda have been on the search for a partner for 2026 ever since Red Bull announced that they’d be entering a technical partnership with Ford, as are sister side AlphaTauri.

The Japanese manufacturer’s options for the new power unit regulations have been slim, with only a handful of midfield teams being available. However, it appears that Aston Martin are their preferred choice, with the British team expected to become a Honda works’ side when the new regulations are introduced.

‘EL PLAN: Aston Martin set to ditch Mercedes’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/aston-mar...honda-engines/

The logic behind a blockbuster Aston Martin-Honda F1 project
    14th May 2023, 08:13
    By Scott Mitchell-Malm
    The Race

If Aston Martin joins forces with Honda for a Formula 1 project beginning in 2026, as is looking likely, it will be a serious statement of intent. Aston Martin’s Mercedes partnership runs to the end of 2025 and it has always been likely that it would consider its options for the new rules.

That is plenty of time to fine-tune it for the 2026 car to fully benefit, and being affiliated with an engine manufacturer is a natural accompaniment to that. Which is why a works engine deal has been on the cards for quite a while, to the point of Aston even considering a Red Bull Powertrains-esque solo project.

But why Honda? The two companies have a recent previous connection in F1. They had a brief overlap during Honda’s first two years supplying Red Bull Racing with engines in 2019 and 2020, as Aston Martin – under its previous ownership – was the team’s title sponsor at the time.

‘EL PLAN: The logic’;

https://the-race.com/formula-1/the-l...da-f1-project/

Aston Martin looking ahead to 2024 car
    08:26 Fri, 12 May 2023.
    ANDREW MAITLAND
    Grandpx.news

Alonso is realistic that Aston Martin won’t be able to challenge Red Bull for the title. “Hopefully some of the tracks we will be a little bit closer to them,” he said. “And some of the upgrades that we will bring later in the season maybe put us in a different or more competitive position.”

“But I think our main focus, to be honest, is just looking behind and trying to keep Mercedes and Ferrari in the constructors’ championship under control.” And with that strategy, Aston Martin may be able to already get a start on developing its car for 2024.

“We absolutely want to start next year’s car as soon as possible,” technical director Dan Fallows, who left Red Bull a year ago, is quoted by France’s Auto Hebdo. “For us, it’s not about sacrificing this year’s car. Inevitably, it (the 2024 car) will be an evolution of this year’s car.

‘EL PLAN: Aston Martin is already starting to look ahead to its 2024 car’;

https://grandpx.news/aston-martin-lo...d-to-2024-car/

Krack lifts lid on SECRET behind incredible Alonso F1 form
    Thursday 11 May 2023 15:59
    Harry Smith
    GPFans

Mike Krack has explained the secret to Fernando Alonso's incredible 2023 form, claiming that the Spaniard's motivation is sky high. In an interview with Sport BILD, Krack explained: "He is part of the success. Without him, we wouldn't be where we currently are.”

"We knew we had made a big step forward in the winter, but the fact that we were on the podium four times in the first five races is something I didn't expect.”

"It's all about motivation. It's unbroken with Fernando. We would have to take another step because Red Bull is very, very strong, but, if we put him a title car, he can be world champion."

‘EL PLAN: Motivation. It's unbroken with Fernando’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...astian-vettel/

TREMAYNE: Alonso’s re-emergence is the feel-good story of 2023 – and his best chance of a win is coming soon
    12 May 2023
    David Tremayne
    Hall of Fame F1 Journalist
    Formula One - Official Site

Habitual success can breed complacency, a sense of entitlement or enhanced ambition. Guess which one applies to Fernando Alonso…

“Fernando, what can we say?” old McLaren team-mate Jenson Button said after the Miami GP as the crowd roared their approval of his result. “Four podiums out of five races. Now the smile is there, it’s great…” “Not bad,” Fernando replied with deliberate understatement, the pirate beard failing to hide his cheerful smile.

This is the man who first won a Grand Prix in Hungary back in 2003, who unseated Michael Schumacher in 2005 and ’06, who went on to recover from some unfortunate career choices to expand his horizons, win at Le Mans, and come close at Indianapolis. Still, like the magician that he is, able to find grip where that crucial task at the topmost level can still defeat so many others. Racing in his forties as hard as he ever did in his twenties, but with so much wider experience.

‘EL PLAN: The magician that he is’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...P8mWex9iw.html

Aston Martin ‘not holding back’ in development battle with Mercedes and Ferrari
    Sunday 14th May, 2023 - 7:51pm
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

Mike Krack is adamant Aston Martin is pacing itself in this season’s F1 development war and not getting sucked into the plans of rivals Mercedes and Ferrari. The team has so far been steady with regard to updates as it continues to build on the solid platform provided by the AMR23 which has been the surprise of the season to date.

Addressing what to expect over the next few races, team principal Krack said: “We’re pushing quite hard on the developments, and we’re quite confident that for the next few events, the data differences will not be too big as the development race goes on. “But then what comes after, say mid-season, we cannot say at this stage, because you have to see then who has spent how much and where you are at that stage, and you will also have the new car (for 2024) to develop.”

“We do our thing, we have our plan, and it will not change so much if one or the other team brings upgrades every race. This cannot change our plan, otherwise, we are always reactive. It’s important you define yourself, you put a roadmap in place, you define what you need when, and you follow it.”

‘EL PLAN: Roadmap in place’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/14...rari-mercedes/

Alonso addresses Aston Martin future and reveals what is TEMPTING him
    Saturday 13 May 2023 22:57
    Dan Davis
    GPFans

Fernando Alonso has revealed he is "tempted" to extend his stay with Aston Martin but also admitted he may look to retire from Formula 1 on a high. The team's vast improvement this year has enabled both Alonso and team-mate Lance Stroll to push for podiums, and the evergreen veteran has secured four top-three finishes from the opening five races of the season.

It is believed his current contract stretches across 2023 and 2024, although Alonso has insisted he is feeling "fresh", leading to speculation he may sign a new deal. And now, Alonso has confirmed that is indeed the case.

"Things seem to be going better than we expected this year and maybe that means being tempted to extend the contract in the future," he told Spanish sports newspaper Marca, via Formula1News. "But there is also the temptation to finish, and do it with a smile on my face. I don't know, honestly."

‘EL PLAN: Sign a new deal’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...ture-contract/

Ferrari needs a technical boss, not Vasseur.
    Former Ferrari engineer Luigi Mazzola is not confident new team boss Frederic Vasseur can turn the situation around at Maranello.
    15th May 2023, 08:12
    ANDREW MAITLAND
    Grandpx.news

Having ousted Mattia Binotto at the end of last year, the fabled Italian team is struggling even more than it did in 2022 now with Frenchman Vasseur at the helm. “I’m sorry,” Mazzola told Quotidiano Motori, “but I think Vasseur has the wrong approach when it comes to the problems at Ferrari.

“And I say that with full knowledge of the facts,” he insisted. “Now I fear that (Charles) Leclerc will not renew his contract.” In 2021, Mazzola said the biggest problem at Ferrari is its lack of a “dominant” leader like Luca di Montezemolo, Jean Todt and Ross Brawn. Now, he insists: “Maranello has been missing a technical director for years. Too many years.”

However, he insists he is not trying to be too hard on Vasseur. “Let’s give him some time,” said Mazzola. “But I’m not sure he can match Jean Todt. He shares the French passport with his illustrious predecessor – we’ll see about the rest. “But Todt had already won everything at Peugeot before going to Maranello. What has Vasseur won in his career?”

“I think Vasseur has the wrong approach”;

https://grandpx.news/ferrari-needs-a...s-not-vasseur/

'Vasseur don't mention aerodynamics, would affect technical pyramid'
    9 MAY - 06:52
    GPblog.com

Ferrari's results in Azerbaijan were encouraging, but a week later the Italian racing stable seem to have made exactly no progress. In Miami, updates were included for Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz, but none of it helped much. Where does it lie? Corriere dello Sport thinks team boss Frederic Vasseur is not telling the whole story.

After the fifth Grand Prix of the season, Vasseur chose his words carefully. He pointed to 'the lack of consistency in performance' as the cause of the problems. The Frenchman, who replaced Mattia Binotto last winter, agreed that it was mainly to do with the level of tyre wear. The drivers, especially on Sunday, have (too) little confidence in the car.

The Italian newspaper read: "However, there is one word the team boss will stay away from: aerodynamics. Because admitting that a deficiency in that area is the root cause would affect the entire technical pyramid." In that area, Ferrari is in a bit in the corner where the blows are falling anyway, as at the beginning of this season the head of aerodynamics David Sanchez suddenly decided to leave.

‘One word the team boss will stay away from: AERODYNAMICS’;

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/20358...s-in-2023.html

Vasseur risks DISAPPOINTING Tifosi with Ferrari upgrade message
    Tuesday 9 May 2023 07:57
    Joe Ellis
    GPFans

Ferrari will have new upgrades coming to the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, but Fred Vasseur has warned it won't be a huge update. The Scuderia head to their home race at Imola after a wretched weekend in Miami where Charles Leclerc crashed twice at the same corner throughout practice and qualifying.

Vasseur, the Prancing Horse team principal, has urged his team to open their eyes to the problems as they look to salvage their season. "It's a strange feeling, you have to open your eyes and consider the situation,"

"Red Bull? Surprising performance between tests and races. We are there with the others, while Red Bull flies by. Leclerc? In the first third of the race he struggled a lot, then he recovered and had the same pace as Sainz. The result, however, is a pity. the switch. Updates will arrive at Imola, but they're not the main thing."

‘DISAPPOINTING Tifosi’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...grades-tifosi/

Vasseur faced with Ferrari 'moving target'
    05 May 6:20PM
    Author Ewan Gale
    Co-author Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Frederic Vasseur took over as Ferrari Team Principal in January and has been presented with a number of challenges in the first four months. Carlos Sainz believes Ferrari Team Principal Frederic Vasseur has been faced with a "moving target" since taking over from Mattia Binotto.

On-track struggles with reliability and tyre degradation left the Scuderia behind Red Bull, Aston Martin and Mercedes in the opening races despite sparkling one-lap pace - underlined by Leclerc in Azerbaijan with pole for both Sprint and grand prix.

But off track, Vasseur has been given a baptism of fire with changes behind the scenes at Ferrari - the latest being Laurent Mekies' impending departure to take over as AlphaTauri Team Principal at the end of the season and with a gulf between Red Bull and the chasing pack, the former Sauber CEO faces a stern test to lay the foundations for a revival for the Maranello-based outfit.

'Moving target';

https://racingnews365.com/vasseur-fa...-moving-target

Vasseur petitions Ferrari to understand inconsistent pace.
    Ferrari team principal Frederic Vasseur doesn't necessarily think their 2023 car is simply stronger over one lap than the race
    May 10, 2023
    By Brandon Sutton
    Total Motorsport

Frederic Vasseur says Ferrari‘s pace is too inconsistent as the team endured a difficult Miami Grand Prix. Carlos Sainz started third and was on podium contention before a five-second time penalty for speeding in the pit lane, and poor tyre wear on the C2 hard compound saw him drop to fifth.

Charles Leclerc‘s crash in Q3 meant he began the Miami GP from seventh and spent most of the race battling with Haas‘ Kevin Magnussen, before finishing where he started. “We are far too inconsistent from one lap to the other and we have to understand why,” Vasseur told the media.

“In qualifying, I think the pace was decent but we are not able to put everything together. And in the race it’s quite similar that the first stint went pretty well for Carlos but we lost 25 seconds on one side of the garage and we lost 25 seconds in the final stint.”

“But we really need to focus attention on this inconsistency because that is key for us”;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...nsistent-pace/

Ferrari management questioned after ‘unforgiveable’ Charles Leclerc error
    13 May 2023 4:00 PM
    Oliver Harden
    PlanetF1.com

Peter Windsor, the Formula 1 commentator, has questioned the impact of new Ferrari team principal Fred Vasseur after Charles Leclerc’s “unforgiveable” mistake in Miami left his career at a “crossroads”.

Speaking during a recent YouTube stream, former Williams and Ferrari team manager Windsor feels Vasseur should have intervened to prevent Leclerc making a second mistake in qualifying. He said: “I was getting quite bullish about the whole new Charles/Freddy Vasseur partnership – sort of Colin Chapman/Jim Clark or Patrick Head/Alan Jones.

“Not that Freddy is a designer, of course, but after what they had [under Mattia Binotto] I was getting bullish about Charles having this bond with Freddy Vasseur who’s a real racer. They should be on the same wavelength. And yet it all went south. It was terrible.”

‘Ferrari management questioned’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/ferrar...arles-leclerc/

Mick Schumacher F1 return hopes boosted as Toto Wolff plan revealed.
    Mercedes boss Toto Wolff is reportedly working to get Mick Schumacher back onto the F1 grid, and has turned to an old friend in a bid to make it happen.
    14 May 2023 5:00 PM
    Jamie Woodhouse

As per a report from Sport1, Wolff has taken on the challenge of this mission to make Schumacher a Formula 1 driver once again. Competition for the 20 seats on the grid is always fierce, but fortunately for Schumacher, Wolff is not short of contacts outside of Mercedes, and he is reportedly using one of them to try and open a door for his reserve driver.

Wolff is no stranger to the Williams team, having owned shares in the team previously, while he is very familiar with their team principal James Vowles, who before taking up that role early in 2023, was Mercedes’ long-standing strategy chief. Sport1 claim that Wolff is attempting to convince Vowles to give Schumacher a Williams seat in the place of their F1 2023 rookie Logan Sargeant.

The American racer delivered a promising start to his first F1 campaign, though having struggled to really kick on from there while team-mate Alex Albon has delivered some standout performances, Sport1 say Sargeant is now considered a “shaky candidate” by Williams.

‘Toto Wolff plan revealed’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...her-f1-return/

Toto Wolff lobbies for Mick Schumacher F1 seat as he aims to 'convince' rival team boss
    Mick Schumacher could make a sensational F1 return as one of the sport's newest rookies could soon be axed.
    08:16, Mon, May 15, 2023
    By Luke Chillingsworth
    Daily and Sunday Express

Toto Wolff is pushing for Mick Schumacher to make an F1 return at Williams, according to reports. German media have claimed Logan Sargeant’s F1 future may be under threat with Williams bosses thought to be dissatisfied with his performances.

F1Mania feels that performances at the next three races in Imola, Monaco and Barcelona could decide his future. But, the American could be axed ahead of the Canadian Grand Prix if he doesn’t improve with Wolff believed to be pushing for the squad to take on Schumacher.

According to Sport1, Sargeant's dismissal could see a revival for Schumacher with Wolff thought to be lobbying ex-colleague Vowles to take him on. Wolff snapped up Schumacher as the team's reserve driver after he was axed by Haas at the end of last season.

‘Sensational F1 return’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...vowles-f1-news

Toto Wolff pushing for Mick Schumacher to replace Sargeant by Canadian GP
    Logan Sargeant reportedly has the upcoming triple-header to save his Formula 1 career.
    15 May 2023
    by Nick Golding

Mercedes reserve driver Mick Schumacher might be returning to the Formula 1 grid sooner than expected, following a report by German media outlet Sport1. Sargeant has appeared in Q2 and has shown at times some very respectable pace; however, he’s struggled in the last few races.

He crashed into Nyck de Vries at the Australian Grand Prix and finished last at his home race in Miami, whilst Alex Albon battled much higher up. With no seat likely to be available for Schumacher at Mercedes anytime soon, the German will presumably need to leave the Brackley-based team if he wants to return to the grid next season, something Wolff appears to be helping with.

Schumacher was actually linked to Sargeant’s Williams seat before the rookie was confirmed by the team, with the German having reportedly been on standby if Sargeant failed to accumulate enough super licence points.

‘Upcoming triple-header to save Formula 1 career’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/toto-wolf...y-canadian-gp/

Wolff opens door for SENSATIONAL Schumacher F1 return
    Sunday 14 May 2023 11:57
    Joe Ellis
    GPFans

Helmut Marko has already ruled out hiring Schumacher to replace the Dutchman which has seen Wolff look elsewhere to try and get him back on the grid. The Mercedes team principal is hoping he can convince his former ally Vowles, who now runs the Williams outfit, to drop the American rookie in favour of the former Haas man.

Sargeant appears to have been given the upcoming triple header at Imola, Monaco and Barcelona to prove he deserves to stay in the seat at Williams. If he doesn't manage to do so compared to his impressive team-mate Alex Albon, he could lose his drive and see Schumacher step in for the Canadian Grand Prix.

‘SENSATIONAL Schumacher F1 return’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...mes-vowles-f1/

Helmut Marko comments on Daniel Ricciardo or Mick Schumacher racing with Red Bull
    Nyck de Vries was signed by AlphaTauri following his points finish at the 2022 Italian Grand Prix.
    15 May 2023
    by Nick Golding
    Formula1News

Red Bull advisor Dr Helmut Marko has ruled out an early return to Formula 1 for Daniel Ricciardo and Mick Schumacher, with the Austrian not set to use either driver should Nyck de Vries need replacing.

It’s been reported that De Vries has the upcoming triple-header to save his F1 career, with the Dutchman having endured a nightmare start to his rookie campaign. Marko has taken notice of Tsunoda’s sublime start and admits that the gap between the Japanese driver and De Vries is “too big”.

However, the Dutchman’s seat at AlphaTauri isn’t at risk for the time being. “Nothing will happen in the next three races,” Marko told F1 Insider. “We spoke to De Vries and he agrees with us: he needs to improve.

‘Ruled out an early return to Formula 1, for Daniel Ricciardo and Mick Schumacher’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/helmut-ma...with-red-bull/

Have Red Bull’s rivals made an upgrade breakthrough? Five talking points for Imola.
    This weekend’s Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix at Imola could be a pivotal point in the course of the 2023 season, with many teams planning to bring substantial upgrades to their cars.
    2023 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix
    Posted on 16th May 2023, 7:1516th May 2023, 7:04
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Although it is only round six of this year’s world championship, the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix is set to effectively mark the start of the second phase of the 2023 season. The opening five rounds of the championship were dominated by Red Bull, who claimed every chequered flag first every time to storm to a commanding 122-point lead over their nearest rivals Aston Martin in the constructors’ championship. In the drivers’ standings, Max Verstappen leads team mate Sergio Perez by 14 points, courtesy of his third win of the season in Miami.

But this weekend in Imola marks a key point of the season. Many of the ten teams have been building to this round to introduce their first major upgrade packages of the season, not least of which Mercedes, who will be looking to make progress in their efforts to chase down the runaway Red Bulls.

However, the nine teams chasing Red Bull could be in for a rude awakening. The world champions themselves have no intentions of allowing themselves to be caught and may well have new parts of their own just as their rivals. Although this weekend could see the start of the next phase of the season, do not be surprised if it continues very much the same way as the first.

‘Upgrade breakthrough?’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/05/16/...nts-for-imola/

It's just Imola - 2023 Emilia Romagna GP Preview
    22:22 Mon, 15 May 2023.
    Inside Line F1 Podcast (Weblog).

It's time for the 'Long Name Grand Prix' this weekend. The Emilia Romagna Grand Prix has historically had really long names - courtesy multiple sponsors, and of course, the region/government of Emilia Romagna. But did you grow up calling this race Imola?

There will be two key points this weekend - upgrades and rumours. All eyes on Mercedes, yes? @f1statsguru presents his stats preview segment for this weekend's race. Tune in!

‘It's just Imola’;

https://omny.fm/shows/inside-line-f1...gna-gp-preview

IT'S RACE WEEK: 5 storylines we're excited about ahead of the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix
    15 May 2023
    Chris Medland
    Special Contributor

Off the back of all the excitement of Miami, the next venue is one of the most iconic on Formula 1’s calendar as we head to the stunning Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari. And as the European section of the season gets into full swing, there’s plenty to talk about ahead of the race at Imola… 1. That Mercedes upgrade: If you hadn’t heard that Mercedes are bringing some new parts to Imola, you’ve done a really good job of avoiding the news.

2. Ferrari seeking consistency (and they’re not alone): While the first major Mercedes update arrives this weekend, Ferrari have been bringing new bits to recent races – including a new floor in Miami – and will continue to do so as they search for one specific item. 3. Alpine looking to respond to boss's criticism: If the likes of Ferrari and Mercedes are looking to rectify issues, at Alpine it’s more a case of delivering a response to their CEO.

4. The Red Bull driver battle: You didn’t think I was going to leave this one out, did you? As impressive as Max Verstappen was in recovering from ninth on the grid in Miami to win for the third time this season, even on a weekend were Sergio Perez admitted he wasn’t driving at his best throughout, he still made Verstappen work hard for the victory. 5. An iconic circuit to kick-off the triple header: You can expect there won’t be a huge number of fans in the grandstands this weekend who share the same sentiments as Red Bull do above, with the tifosi out in force to support Ferrari at one of their home races.

‘Stunning Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...IqnH1nChP.html

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix under threat as wild weather wreaks havoc in Imola
    May 16th, 2023 12:52 pm
    Staff Writers from Fox Sports
    Fox Sports (Australia)

The upcoming Emilia Romagna Grand Prix is predicted to be bombarded with wild weather this weekend, with the Italian region grappling with torrential rain and flood warnings. The Imola Regional Weather Service has issued a red level rain warning – the highest level possible – with forecasters predicting almost 160mm of rain on Tuesday and a further 110mm on Wednesday, The Herald Sun reports.

The rain is expected to ease ahead of this weekend’s race, but Saturday afternoon’s qualifying session is predicted to be hit by fresh rainfall and a potential storm. Earlier this month, two people in the Emilia-Romagna region were killed due to extreme flooding, with hundreds forced to flee their homes. A spokesperson confirmed the Imola track had not been damaged during the carnage.

The threat of floods and landslides has prompted calls for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, which is scheduled to get underway at 11pm AEST on Sunday evening, to be abandoned.

‘wild weather wreaks havoc’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...025283cedea3a2

F1 NATION: Ferrari under pressure and Mercedes bring 'make or break' upgrades – our Emilia Romagna GP preview
    16 May 2023

Imola is intense. The legendary Italian circuit has hosted incredible battles ever since it staged the Italian Grand Prix back in 1980, and this year's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix sees two Red Bull drivers going in with the title in mind while Mercedes and Ferrari look to claw back some performance.

The storylines just keep on coming and, as we near Round 6 of the season, there is plenty to look forward to, with the field heading to Imola to contest the 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

‘Make or break upgrades’

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...yjttqmfOx.html

Emilia-Romagna GP to go ahead despite warnings due to heavy rain this week.
    The Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix is expected to go ahead despite a severe weather warning being issued ahead of the race due to the possibility of flooding.
    16th May 2023, 13:16
    Written by Ida Wood
    RaceFans

The FIA’s own weather report (which will not be updated until an hour before the first practice session on Friday) anticipates the first few days in the paddock to be gusty and wet, but for conditions to be calmer by the time drivers take to the track.

Friday could be as cool as 11C but if the rain clouds move away then it could be as warm as 17C when first practice it scheduled to start at 12:30pm. There is a 40% chance of rain, however, and potentially some 20kph winds too. Similar temperatures are expected for third practice and qualifying on Saturday. Warmer conditions are expected in the afternoon but the risk of rain during qualifying remains.

A sunny morning means the track temperature should be at its highest when it comes to the race on Sunday, and the wind will continue to ease. However that also means any rainclouds which drift in are unlikely to blow away quickly.

‘Expected to go ahead’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/05/16/...ain-this-week/

Paddock evacuated due to risk of flooding at F1 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix
    16 May 2023
    James Dielhenn
    Crash.Net

The paddock at the F1 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix has reportedly been evacuated due the risk of flooding. The news was reported by CanalPlus, the French TV broadcasters, who were arriving at Imola on Tuesday.

Il vient d'ętre demandé ŕ toutes les équipes présentes sur le Circuit d'Imola d'évacuer les lieux dans les 30 mn.
    Les pluies torrentielles et un début d'inondation de certaines zones en sont évidemment la raison principale. pic.twitter.com/7ItwrFSA33

All the teams present on the Imola Circuit have just been asked to evacuate the premises within 30 minutes.
    Circuit have just been asked to evacuate the premises within 30 minutes.

‘The paddock reportedly been evacuated’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/102646...gna-grand-prix

What are the chances of rain affecting the Imola Grand Prix?
    16 May 12:15PM
    Author RacingNews365 Staff

With the Emilia Romagna region suffering from heavy rainfall in the last two weeks, will things ease up in time for the race at Imola? Two weeks after the Miami Grand Prix, Formula 1 embarks on a triple-header, with the first stop being the legendary Imola circuit for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

There will be a greater risk of rain for Qualifying on Saturday, which may mean that the new qualifying format will not be used. On both days, temperatures will be around 20 degrees Celsius and there will be moderately windy conditions.

Rain is also a possibility for the race day, but the greater risk will be in the morning, with some dry spells anticipated for the race time in the afternoon. However, rain during the race cannot be completely ruled out at this stage, as showers will be present in the region on Sunday.

‘The chances of rain’;

https://racingnews365.com/what-are-t...ola-grand-prix

Formula 1 circuit evacuated on safety grounds to leave Imola Grand Prix in danger of being called off
    16th May 2023, 3:23 pm
    Connor Andrews
    talkSPORT

The 2023 Imola Grand Prix is at risk of cancellation after staff were told to evacuate the area due to the risk of flooding.

Track action in Emilia-Romagna in east Italy is scheduled to get underway on Friday, with teams and drivers arriving throughout the week, but weather forecasts have jeopardised that just days before the event.

This is the situatuon right now of the river next to Imola circuit. The personnel has been evacuated as precaution. #f1 #EmiliaRomagnaGP pic.twitter.com/dflBCQK0ry
    — Albert Fabrega (@AlbertFabrega) May 16, 2023

‘The river next to Imola circuit’;

https://talksport.com/sport/motorsport/1426109/

F1 evacuate Imola circuit due to floods as Sunday's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix at risk
    This weekend's Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix in Italy is scheduled to take place in Imola - but heavy rain in the region has left the upcoming Formula 1 race in doubt
    16:24, 16 May 2023
    By Tom Blow Sports Writer

F1 chiefs are anxiously waiting to see if the Santerno will burst its banks, which could send water flooding into the paddock. Staff at Imola have returned to their hotels while the situation unfolds, leaving all 20 drivers wondering if a race will go ahead.

It is understood that F1 have not yet seriously thought about a contingency plan - and there is hope that the weather calms down before the weekend’s GP. There will be more to follow on this breaking news story.

‘F1 evacuate Imola circuit due to floods’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...imola-29995249

What tyres will the teams and drivers have for the 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix?
    16 May 2023.

F1’s Official tyre suppliers have brought the three softest compounds in their range for this weekend’s action in Imola, with the drivers able to call upon C3 (hard tyre), C4 (medium tyre), and the C5 (soft tyre).

They will also have access to the intermediates (green), and a new full wet tyre (blue), that Pirelli will also be bringing for the first time, andy they will be used if the weather requires.

??A new full wet tyre (blue)??;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...vDcefU5nT.html

SWIMOLA! Flood alert for Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix as F1 personnel EVACUATED.
    The Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix could be heavily disrupted this weekend with social media images showing the Santerno river that runs next to the circuit already overflowing.
    Tuesday 16 May 2023 17:57
    Dan Ripley
    GPFans

Recently nonstop torrential rain caused riverbeds to flow in northern Italy, resulting in landslides. The damage has been tragic with two reported deaths and hundreds more quickly evacuated from their homes.

Now more rapid downpours are expected to hit Emilia-Romagna early this week, while rain is expected to continue throughout the entire weekend, with storms having previously been forecasted to hit the track during qualifying.

So far there has been no damage done to the Imola circuit, located 40km from Bologna, and so far F1 chiefs are confident the event will go ahead as expected. Race fans are likely to be severely hit with car parks and spectator areas in severe threat of being waterlogged.

‘SWIMOLA!’;

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/10...grand-prix-f1/

Italian Met Office issues severe weather warnings as Emilia Romagna GP faces flooding risk
    16 May 2023
    by David Freeman
    Formula1News

Life-threatening weather looks likely to spill over as the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix takes place this weekend.

The Italian Met Office has issued new flood warnings with the Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix on the horizon. Fortunately for the Italian Grand Prix, there has been no damage to the track meaning the race will go ahead.

With numerous teams adding new additions, the chance of corroborating upgrades looks thin as the rain will impact the running considerably.

‘Flooding risk’;

https://formula1news.co.uk/italian-m...flooding-risk/

Imola faces floods days before Emilia Romagna GP – F1 on red alert
    The Emilia Romagna region of Italy has been hit by unprecedented, persistent rain
    May 16, 2023
    By Joe Ellis
    Total Motorsport

The 2023 Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix is now on red alert due to excessive flooding at Imola and the surrounding areas.

The first of two trips to Italy in 2023 is due to kick-start a triple-header for F1 with Monaco and Barcelona to come next but the unprecedented rain and flooding has put the race in question.

Several rivers in the local area have burst their banks and it has led to evacuation of the area for many and even two deaths. Rain is forecast for the whole weekend but if it comes with the same intensity then the track may not be raceable at all.

‘Imola faces floods’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...023-red-alert/

F1 personnel evacuated from Imola paddock amid flood fears
    16th May 2023, 17:29
    By Matt Majendie
    Evening Standard

Images on social media showed the rapidly rising Santerno river adjacent to the circuit before the announcement was made around 3pm BST for all F1 personnel to evacuate the paddock with immediate effect as a precautionary measure.

Further heavy rain is expected to fall for the remainder of Tuesday and throughout Wednesday, which is expected to further exacerbate the situation.

Italian officials had already issued flood warnings for the region for Tuesday and Wednesday with schools closed and people warned not to travel unless absolutely necessary. Operational plans are already being put in place to deal with the wet weather.

‘Operational plans’;

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/b1081549.html

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix could be CANCELLED due to extreme weather... after Imola was evacuated due to flood risks just days before race weekend
    • An anticipated 100mm of rainfall is due in the region before Wednesday evening
    • The circuit lies dangerously close to the banks of the rising river Santerno
    • Extreme weather is set to continue over race weekend, including strong winds
    Published: 18:02, 16 May 2023
    By Tamara Prenn For Mailonline
    Mail Online

Sunday's Emilia Romagna Grand Prix could be threatened with cancellation after personnel were forced to evacuate the paddock at Imola due to flood risks. The northern Italian region has been hit with heavy rain and flooding throughout May, and was given a red weather alert as rain and wind look set to continue.

As much rainfall as 100mm is predicted to fall through Wednesday evening in the region, where hundreds of residents have already been evacuated, local schools are closing, and all but essential travel is advised against.

Formula One have said that the race is set to go ahead as planned at present, and there is hope that the television broadcast of the event won't be effected by the extreme weather.

‘Could be CANCELLED’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ood-risks.html

F1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix Circuit Flooding Causes Evacuation.
    Sunday's Formula 1 race expected to go as scheduled.
    Published: May 16, 2023
    By Phillip Horton
    AutoWeek

Preparations for this weekend’s Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix have been affected by severe rainfall affecting the Imola circuit and surrounding region. As much as six inches of rainfall has been forecast through Tuesday and Wednesday morning. Personnel in the Formula 1 paddock, setting up the standard infrastructure, were instructed to evacuate on Tuesday afternoon as a precaution.

Conditions are set to improve from Wednesday afternoon onwards though there remains a risk of showers influencing track activity throughout the grand prix weekend.

Spectator areas and car parks—the majority of which are on grass—are also likely to be adversely affected by the excessive rainfall. Teams and other personnel are traveling to the event as normal and no disruption is expected to the weekend’s on-track timetable.

‘Sunday's Formula 1 race expected to go as scheduled’;

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/form...es-evacuation/

Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, Imola: F1 race start time, weather forecast and how to watch
    Plus: How to watch, latest odds, driver standings and session start times for this weekend's F1 race in Imola
    16 May 2023 • 8:01pm
    By Tom Cary, SENIOR SPORTS CORRESPONDENT and Luke Slater
    The Telegraph

Formula One staff were forced to evacuate the Imola paddock on Tuesday amid concern over heavy rain and possible flooding ahead of this weekend’s grand prix. Officials moved to calm fears over the viability of the race itself, with Tuesday’s evacuation described as merely precautionary while authorities monitor the situation on what is traditionally a quiet day during race weeks.

A picture circulating of the Imola paddock showed no more than a few big puddles, while F1 personnel were able to continue to set up their garages and paddock homes before the evacuation order. But equally there is an acceptance that water levels in the nearby Santerno River, which runs parallel to the paddock, could rise before they fall.

Already videos of the river on social media show the Santerno running exceptionally high. The fear is that it breaches its banks before the weekend’s estimated 120,000 spectators arrive, causing a major headache for race organisers. Imola has had issues with its car parks flooding in previous years, but this would be on another scale in terms of managing that number of people.

‘Water levels in the nearby Santerno River, which runs parallel to the paddock, could rise before they fall’;

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...weather-flood/

How to watch 2023 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix: F1 live stream and start times
    May 16th 2023
    Author Cambridge Kisby
    Motor Sport Magazine

Don’t miss a moment as F1 returns to hallowed ground this weekend, making its first 2023 stop on Italian soil for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. All of the action will be broadcast on TV and live-streamed as usual, and we’ve got the details below.

Miami offered glitz and glamour but there will also be celebration in the air at Imola, which marks its 70th anniversary this year. Also filling the sky could be a blanket of cloud, with rain predicted throughout the weekend.

Could unpredictable weather give Fernando Alonso and Aston Martin the chance of preventing a Red Bull victory for the first time this season? Or will the upgrades that many teams are bringing to Italy help to close the gap?

‘70th anniversary’;

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/a...?nowprocket=1#

Emilia Romagna GP: Williams Racing Grand Prix Preview
    May 17 2023
    By Williams Racing
    WilliamsF1 Supporters

Dave Robson, Head of Vehicle Performance: The sixth race of the season sees us return to Europe for a triple-header. We start in Italy, at the Imola circuit, before moving on to Monaco and Barcelona.

As well as a return to Europe, this weekend sees the introduction of a new tyre format. This Alternative Tyre Allocation (“ATA”) event – which will be repeated at the Hungaroring later in the year – will see each team have only 11 sets of dry tyres available for the whole weekend. The 11 sets of tyres this weekend are a mix of Pirelli’s softest compounds.

As well as fewer sets of dry tyres this weekend, we also have the introduction of a new Pirelli wet tyre, which will run without heating blankets. Given the weather forecast, this may become very relevant this weekend.

‘Return to Europe for a triple-header’;

https://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s107/st204726.htm

F1 Mailbag: McLaren’s Imola GP outlook and a fun Red Bull hypothetical
    May 16, 2023
    By Madeline Coleman
    The Athletic

It’s a new race week, and Formula One is heading to Italy for the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix. It’s the start of F1’s European leg of the schedule and the first triple-header of the season, which will include Italy, Monaco, and Barcelona, before an off-week.

However, a red alert weather warning was issued for the Emilia Romagna region, and reports surfaced Tuesday that the track is being evacuated, given the heavy rain. As of the publication of this story, there has been no public change to the race weekend.

This week’s mailbag is more of a miscellaneous recap, touching on the Imola upgrades, addressing whether the drivers’ comments about the Miami intros were fair, and much more.

‘F1 Mailbag’;

https://theathletic.com/4524439/2023...gp-f1-mailbag/

Exceptional rains in drought-struck northern Italy kill 8, cancel Formula One Grand Prix.
    The heavy rains also forced Formula One to cancel this weekend's Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix to not overtax emergency crews that were already stretched thin in responding to the rivers of mud that have torn through the region, wreaking havoc on infrastructure and homes.
    MAY 17, 2023 — 10:05AM
    By LUCA BRUNO and NICOLE WINFIELD Associated Press

IMOLA, Italy — Exceptional rains Wednesday in a drought-struck region of northern Italy swelled rivers over their banks, killing at least eight people, forcing the evacuation of thousands and prompting officials to warn that Italy needs a national plan to combat climate change-induced flooding.

Days of rainstorms stretched across a broad swath of northern Italy and the Balkans, where ''apocalyptic'' floods, landslides and evacuations were also reported in Croatia, Bosnia and Slovenia.

The deputy governor of Emilia-Romagna, Irene Priolo, said eight people were killed and others unaccounted for in flooding that forced the evacuation of more than 10,000 people. Among the dead was a farmer who defied floodwaters to try to save equipment on his property, officials said. His wife was among the missing.

‘Drought-struck northern Italy kill 8’;

https://www.startribune.com/exceptio...rix/600275512/

F1 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix canceled because of deadly floods in Italy
    May 17th 2023 at 11:12AM
    ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Autoblog

IMOLA, Italy — This weekend's Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix in northern Italy was canceled Wednesday because of deadly floods in the region. “It is such a tragedy to see what has happened to Imola and Emilia-Romagna, the town and region that I grew up in and my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the flooding and the families and communities affected," F1 president and CEO Stefano Domenicali said.

Formula One personnel had earlier been told to stay away from the track after floods affected large parts of the Emilia-Romagna region. Some residents of Imola, where the track is located, were warned to move to higher floors of their homes. The Santerno River runs right next to the track. Matteo Salvini, the infrastructure minister in Italy’s government, had requested that the race be canceled to favor the flow of resources and aid to the hardest hit areas of the flooding.

‘Thoughts and prayers are with the victims of the flooding’;

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/05/17/...llcivzSFJyqyBR

F1 drivers and teams fully behind Emilia Romagna GP cancellation
    Thursday 18th May, 2023 - 12:15am
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

F1 drivers and teams have offered their full support to the swift and decisive action taken to cancel the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix.

Just 20 hours after all F1 personnel were told to evacuate the paddock at Imola due to rising floodwaters stemming from the nearby Santerno River, a decision was taken that this weekend’s event cannot go ahead as planned.

F1 and the FIA have made it clear that the efforts of the emergency services are of paramount importance given they are already stretched to breaking point in their relief efforts.

‘Emilia Romagna GP cancellation’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/18...-cancellation/

Cancelled Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix unlikely to reappear on 2023 F1 schedule
    2023 Emilia-Romagna Grand Prix
    Posted on 17th May 2023, 15:08
    Written by Keith Collantine

The extent of the damage to the circuit and surrounding infrastructure will be the first constraining factor on when a race may go ahead. Between now and the beginning of the summer break, which follows the Belgian Grand Prix in August 30th, there are no gaps in which a race could be added which wouldn’t create an unprecedented quadruple or quintuple-header.

Although Italy will hold a round of the world championship at Monza in September, Imola seems unlikely to return to the schedule until next year. Another factor to take in now is that the 2023 cancellation gives Imola an extra challenge to appear on the 2024 calendar, as F1’s sporting regulations state: “A Competition which is cancelled with less than three months’ written notice to the FIA will not be considered for inclusion in the following year’s championship unless the FIA judges the cancellation to have been due to force majeure.”

‘Unlikely to reappear’;

https://www.racefans.net/2023/05/17/...3-f1-schedule/

'Not possible to safely hold the event' - Italian Grand Prix cancelled
    17th May 2023, 14:08
    The42

The civil protection agency said 14 rivers had broken their banks across the region between Tuesday and Wednesday, and 23 towns were flooded. It urged “maximum caution”, as mayors warned people to stay on high ground.

“About 5,000 people have been evacuated, but that number might rise,” Civil Protection Minister Nello Musumeci told Radio 24. - ‘They are heroes’ - In Forli, an AFP photographer saw people in a state of shock late Tuesday, fleeing through floodwaters in the dark in their bare feet.

Images showed streets transformed into rivers, and firemen moving people to safety in rubber dinghies. Elsewhere, muddy waters rushed at great speed under the arches of the covered walkways in Bologna, while locals in Cesena swam down a road to rescue a three-year-old child.

'Not possible to safely hold the event';

https://www.the42.ie/not-possible-to...70135-May2023/

Imola could land one-year F1 extension after cancellation
    Thursday 18th May, 2023 - 1:21am
    By Ian Parkes
    Speedcafe

The president of the Automobile Club d’Italia, Angelo Sticchi Damiani, has suggested the cancellation of this weekend’s Emilia Romagna Grand Prix could result in a one-year extension to its current F1 contract.

“I am deeply saddened by what is happening in Emilia Romagna,” said Sticchi Damiani. “The cancellation was inevitable in the face of such a dramatic situation. Given the complexity of the calendar, it is reasonable to imagine that the 2023 edition will be held in 2026. But at the moment it is certainly not a priority”.

‘One-year extension’;

https://www.speedcafe.com/2023/05/18...act-extension/

Canceling the Imola GP was the only choice for F1
    17th May 2023, 16:29
    By Luke Smith
    The Athletic

As the plane broke through the clouds on its descent into Bologna, the streaks of rain grew stronger on the windows. The view beyond the rain was far more concerning: Large parts of towns and settlements were visibly flooded, brown water reaching far beyond river banks. Unprecedented rainfall over the past two weeks had led to widespread flooding in northern Italy’s Emilia Romagna region.

As the days ticked down toward the planned grand prix at Imola, one of F1’s most historic tracks, the situation showed few signs of improving. “Whose idea was this?” one fan asked his mates, tongue-in-cheek. “Why didn’t we go to Hungary or Monaco instead?”

The plane landed just before 10 am local time. An uneasy silence grew as the fans disembarked, went through passport control and prepared to pick up their bags. They’d made it to Italy, but would they get to see a race? Three hours later, F1 answered: The Emilia Romagna Grand Prix would not be going ahead.

‘The only choice’;

https://theathletic.com/4528234/2023...a-gp-canceled/