Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
I love a good conspiracy, especially when it looks more convincing as the season progress's.
I do think they have had things largely in hand with some serious reserve ready to dip into if/as/when required... but I'd also like give Red Bull some credit for making Merc have to work harder and dip into these reserves... and put Merc in a somewhat vulnerable position in the closing races.
I'm just not convinced that the accolades received by cutting it so fine are well judged versus risk (IIRC, risk management was one of Totto's former job roles?) One DNF for Lewis or Bottas now could easily put one or both championships in serious doubt and I just can't see them taking such a huge risk, calculated or not.

Re- Monaco, I suspect their spicy engine is more of a recent thing. I might be wrong but didn't Lewis pit for fresh tyres when he posted that 1 sec faster lap with the rest of the front runners staying out? If not then you have a very valid point.. I'll have to go review that race now though to be sure I'm remembering it correctly.
My point is , it's been spicier than they've shown all year .
They've screwed up in a multitude of uncharacteristic ways , including a magic button , and I just don't believe Merc is as incompetent as they've looked this year .

As this season neared , everyone and his uncle was hoping against hope that somebody , anybody , could take the fight to Merc and the era of domination might end .
It seemed even Mercedes , itself , was really teetering on whether to stick around with the outcome likely to make folks yawn .

But now , with it tight , all are smiling .

If I am correct , and Merc and Lewis don't trip , despite leaving the laces untied most of the year , and win the championships , I think I'll be far more impressed than if it was a cake-walk for them .

I hope I didn't spoil the outcome for anybody there , but it will be epic , and Hamilton will win .