Page 81 of 141 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391131 ... LastLast
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    You need the manufacturer to homologate a car

2. Likes: AndyRAC (3rd July 2022)
    Liked 616 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    they can, just as m-sport. and they have more than enough money, if they can tackle f1. so the point is just marketing return that is not worth enough for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    You need the manufacturer to homologate a car
    The Rally1 manufacturer or the manufacturer of the series production vehicle it is based on?

Because if you mean the Rally1 manufacturer, I'd still be confused why the Mitsubishi R5 struggled when there was a business case for building the car in the first place.

If you mean the series-prod, you mean to disagree with wyler? I don't know if your like means you agree.

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    you need a manufacturer but has it happens with those same f1 teams to have engines by others, i don't think that's the problem stopping them.
    i mean, with money enough, i assume that manufacturer can give homologation permits.

even the same ford, can maybe have more than 1 team, right?
    maybe something like a dirtfish subaru team usa by haas could also be...

Liked 1,252 Times in 681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    The Rally1 manufacturer or the manufacturer of the series production vehicle it is based on?

Because if you mean the Rally1 manufacturer, I'd still be confused why the Mitsubishi R5 struggled when there was a business case for building the car in the first place.

If you mean the series-prod, you mean to disagree with wyler? I don't know if your like means you agree.
    The manufacturer of the production road car has to sign/agree to the homologation papers for it to be used in a FiA series. The Mirage R5 didn't receive it, and ran in national events. There is still one run on BTRDA events here in the UK. Mitsubishi had no interest in the Mirage R5, for whatever reason and the car wasn't internationally homologated.

I'm not sure why people are using a comparison with F1 constructors; it's slightly different. Some are owned by a car manufacturer; others are solely in business to race in F1, without selling production cars.

The WRC is a motorsport series using cars based on production cars, built by mainstream manufacturers......That's not likely to change unless the FiA decide to.
    Last edited by AndyRAC; 3rd July 2022 at 15:07.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

6. Likes: cali (3rd July 2022),WRCStan (3rd July 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    you need a manufacturer but has it happens with those same f1 teams to have engines by others, i don't think that's the problem stopping them.
    i mean, with money enough, i assume that manufacturer can give homologation permits.

even the same ford, can maybe have more than 1 team, right?
    maybe something like a dirtfish subaru team usa by haas could also be...
    It seems if there was a rule saying you need to place the koh-i-noor on the dark side of the moon, folk will still argue the cost is the issue. Thankfully Andy has put us right on Mitsubishi, that money is sometimes not the problem. This manufacturer rule is simply out of date and potentially throttling engagement.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    I'm not sure why people are using a comparison with F1 constructors; it's slightly different. Some are owned by a car manufacturer; others are solely in business to race in F1, without selling production cars.

The WRC is a motorsport series using cars based on production cars, built by mainstream manufacturers......That's not likely to change unless the FiA decide to.
    I brought F1 up because CNC machines and energy drinks are going racing, constructing their own race cars without need for building thousands of non-identical road cars. I get there's still engine suppliers etc, it's not the ideal. Point is, WRC was based on production cars, but it's not now, so why is everybody imposing this 'road car manufacturers'. Actually, I'm wondering over these recent posts if consensus is that the manufacturers championship is for 'rally car manufacturers'.

Anyway, I'll bet the FIA will realise this, and we'll get Dirtfish Haas Team USA using any suppliers they want before seeing Rally2 as flagship class. IMO it's certainly in the best interests of promoting and growing the global sport as we often discuss.

Liked 591 Times in 314 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    It seems if there was a rule saying you need to place the koh-i-noor on the dark side of the moon, folk will still argue the cost is the issue. Thankfully Andy has put us right on Mitsubishi, that money is sometimes not the problem. This manufacturer rule is simply out of date and potentially throttling engagement.

I brought F1 up because CNC machines and energy drinks are going racing, constructing their own race cars without need for building thousands of non-identical road cars. I get there's still engine suppliers etc, it's not the ideal. Point is, WRC was based on production cars, but it's not now, so why is everybody imposing this 'road car manufacturers'. Actually, I'm wondering over these recent posts if consensus is that the manufacturers championship is for 'rally car manufacturers'.

Anyway, I'll bet the FIA will realise this, and we'll get Dirtfish Haas Team USA using any suppliers they want before seeing Rally2 as flagship class. IMO it's certainly in the best interests of promoting and growing the global sport as we often discuss.
    i think you misunderstood what i wrote...i'm exactly saying money is not the issue, and we could have others like m-sport building cars with manus approval as easy as signing a paper (look at xtreme e, team have no problem to have a fixed car model, the just care the pr).
    point is, opposite to yours, no one is interested in wrc promotion nowadays. that's the problem, not the regulation. cnc machines and energy drinks just don't care about having a team in wrc like they do in f1, because is not marketing worthy. to have dirtfish haas team we need them to have an interest in doing so, not a manufacter to sign papers. if not, we would have plenty of articles on dirtfish saying that they need a manus for their team.

9. Likes: cali (3rd July 2022)
    Liked 12,212 Times in 5,244 Posts
    topic 2022 WRC News & Rumours
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

11. Likes: cali (3rd July 2022),Eli (3rd July 2022),WRCStan (3rd July 2022)
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    topic 2022 WRC News & Rumours
    There’s no current news anyway

2022 WRC News & Rumours

Some rally manufacturer teams have been subdivisions of the actual car company (like Hyundai is and Citroen was). Sometimes an external rally team is hired to do the job, but the car company provides the budget (like Subaru/Prodrive and Ford/M-Sport until 2012). Toyota Gazoo started in 2017 by ordering the operations from Tommi Mäkinen Racing, but last year they bought the operations back to in-house.

Current M-Sport is a more rare case since M-Sport’s financial side is completely independent from Ford and they have their own business models (pay drivers, car renting, car selling, spare parts etc) that other teams don’t share. Yes, they are married with Ford who agrees to homologate their cars and gives some support in form of car development, but no actual budget.

So, could Williams or another racing team achieve what M-Sport does and build a Rally1 car? Yes, but only with co-operation of a car manufacturer. It would have to resemble a street model and be homologated with manu’s agreement.

If there's much more to discuss I agree it needs a new/existing philosophy thread as this has moved on from pointing out what's holding back privateers. Folk can see where I am, so I'll close by pointing out that the Bahraini state paired up with Prodrive for no other real purpose than to build their own car and go rallying and you can tell it's not in WRC because that's an impossible situation. It should be possible and that's something the rule makers could at least consider.