Hybrid View

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Mercedes and Hamilton not happy; contract negotiations temporarily halted'
    27-05-2021 06:42 | Updated: 27-05-2021 08:26

by GPblog.com

Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes over a contract extension were reportedly already underway, but the Monaco Grand Prix has reportedly caused talks to temporarily halt. Toto Wolff has been given until mid-June to reach an agreement with the seven-time world champion.

Hamilton had a disappointing qualifying and afterwards, harsh words were exchanged during a meeting with the team's technicians. Toto Wolff was also present at the meeting and the decision was made to make some changes to the front end of the W12. The changes made didn't suit the driving style of Hamilton who was not able to break free.

In the media, the 36-year old driver told that he couldn't have done anything better and that Mercedes didn't give him a competitive car. Those statements were not well received by the Brackley formation, especially because Hamilton always says in good times that 'we win and lose together.' Moreover, the set-up and configuration of Bottas' car was exactly the same.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85185...ly-halted.html

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortitude View Post
    Mercedes and Hamilton not happy; contract negotiations temporarily halted'
    27-05-2021 06:42 | Updated: 27-05-2021 08:26

by GPblog.com

Negotiations between Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes over a contract extension were reportedly already underway, but the Monaco Grand Prix has reportedly caused talks to temporarily halt. Toto Wolff has been given until mid-June to reach an agreement with the seven-time world champion.

Hamilton had a disappointing qualifying and afterwards, harsh words were exchanged during a meeting with the team's technicians. Toto Wolff was also present at the meeting and the decision was made to make some changes to the front end of the W12. The changes made didn't suit the driving style of Hamilton who was not able to break free.

In the media, the 36-year old driver told that he couldn't have done anything better and that Mercedes didn't give him a competitive car. Those statements were not well received by the Brackley formation, especially because Hamilton always says in good times that 'we win and lose together.' Moreover, the set-up and configuration of Bottas' car was exactly the same.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/85185...ly-halted.html
    I wouldn't put much weight on this, these are just your typical rumours. Hamilton was very careful with his words when he spoke to sky and channel 4 after the race. He certainly did not blame Mercedes. Valteries was more harder in his comments actually, even so he was very tactful.

It was very clear that Hamilton and Wolff were not happy the way the race turned out. I seriously doubt there are any real friction within Mercedes about Monaco. As always, they would work it out as they always do.

The other thing in the report, it states Mercedes want to offer Hamilton a one year contract extension, which is contrary to what is indicated by Wolff in most recent interviews. All indications suggest they want Hamilton to sign another three year deal which they originally wanted to offer him in 2019 but did a one year deal as they ran out of time with negotiations. I seriously doubt they would be negotiating another one year deal.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 186 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Hamilton was very careful with his words when he spoke to sky and channel 4 after the race. He certainly did not blame Mercedes.
    That certainty not true. Hamilton started off with some political correct speak,

There's no finger pointing, we win and we lose together

but he couldn't contain himself and he finally blew up:

"We lost a lot of points for a really, really poor performance from the team"

"Lewis Hamilton says Mercedes will need "tough discussions" behind closed doors after feeling the team did not do things the way it should have done"

"Also I don’t want to be critical of team, but behind closed doors, I will be." - LOL. Low key throwing the team under the bus, is still throwing them under the bus.

Hamilton’s bitterness opens a small crack that inevitably emerges on particularly bad days.“Tonight I will discuss with the engineers – he continued – or, perhaps, we will talk about it after the weekend, because there are some things that should have been done, but instead… they have not been done.

The other thing in the report, it states Mercedes want to offer Hamilton a one year contract extension, which is contrary to what is indicated by Wolff in most recent interviews. All indications suggest they want Hamilton to sign another three year deal which they originally wanted to offer him in 2019 but did a one year deal as they ran out of time with negotiations. I seriously doubt they would be negotiating another one year deal.
    This will be very interesting to watch. Because there have been rumors that there is a difference of opinion on Lewis contract. If I was the owners, I would sign Hamilton for 3 more years. Ride him and his brand until it out of gas. Bring in his eventual "brand" replacement next year to bring him along. But, I have seen it in other sports, owners think they are smarter.