Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Results 81 to 89 of 89
  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Posts
    7,905
    Like
    98
    Liked 515 Times in 400 Posts
    The stewards do get it wrong sometimes .
    I'm not making that up .

  2. Likes: Mia 01 (2nd April 2021)
  3. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,192
    Like
    742
    Liked 135 Times in 100 Posts
    A bit off topic I think. We are fans off different drivers in here but we can try to be polite.

  4. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,192
    Like
    742
    Liked 135 Times in 100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mia 01 View Post
    A bit off topic I think. We are fans off different drivers in here but we can try to be polite.
    To Blackie.

  5. #84
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    2,446
    Like
    7
    Liked 621 Times in 501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    The stewards do get it wrong sometimes .
    I'm not making that up .
    If they did, l am sure Redbull would have taken issue with it and confronted the stewards after the race. On such an occasion, we would very strongly be on their side and chastising the stewards from our armchairs. But this is not the case on this occasion it seems.

    Yes, they did get it wrong changing the rules on track limit halfway through the race. It is or it isn't! Masi is clearly still getting his head around his job.

    Baggie you might like this video blog by Will Buxton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAm2zqe40oQ, he has some solid arguments but not necessarily feasible.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd April 2021 at 01:36.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  6. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    2,446
    Like
    7
    Liked 621 Times in 501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    If they did, l am sure Redbull would have taken issue with it and confronted the stewards after the race. On such an occasion, we would very strongly be on their side and chastising the stewards from our armchairs. But this is not the case on this occasion it seems.

    Yes, they did get it wrong changing the rules on track limit halfway through the race. It is or it isn't! Masi is clearly still getting his head around his job.

    Baggie you might like this video blog by Will Buxton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAm2zqe40oQ, he has some solid arguments but not necessarily feasible.
    For a proper explanation of what really happened, check out Jonathan Palmer's analysis of the turn four incident https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1zR74ijo7U
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  7. #86
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,606
    Like
    109
    Liked 171 Times in 118 Posts
    Regarding Redbull having the faster car.. I admit I haven't fully studied where their advantage lies but from snippets I've read/watched it seems that Merc may still have the overall power advantage? The Red Bull seems only faster on the mid and high speed corners but is slower on the straights?

    I fear Mercs re-emergence and them running away with it again after such a promising opener.
    Maybe some of you guys have studied their comparative_strengths weaknesses in more depth, interested in hearing your thoughts.

    Going forward. Would you rather be in Mercs power advantage position (if it is..) or Red Bulls better sorted Aero?
    Merc could get their rear instability sorted very quickly and be back in front in no time while Red Bulls brand new PU has unknown potential development gains.

  8. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Greenwich, London UK
    Posts
    2,446
    Like
    7
    Liked 621 Times in 501 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Regarding Redbull having the faster car.. I admit I haven't fully studied where their advantage lies but from snippets I've read/watched it seems that Merc may still have the overall power advantage? The Red Bull seems only faster on the mid and high speed corners but is slower on the straights?

    I fear Mercs re-emergence and them running away with it again after such a promising opener.
    Maybe some of you guys have studied their comparative_strengths weaknesses in more depth, interested in hearing your thoughts.

    Going forward. Would you rather be in Mercs power advantage position (if it is..) or Red Bulls better sorted Aero?
    Merc could get their rear instability sorted very quickly and be back in front in no time while Red Bulls brand new PU has unknown potential development gains.
    I think the Redbull is faster both on straights and the twisties. Mercedes have a more powerful engine but the regulation has prevented the car from putting that power out on to the tarmac due to the less efficient downforce at the rear of the car compared to Redbull. Redbull with lesser power has a higher downforce, hence more effective traction, hence better performance.

    If Mercedes can find a way to increase the downforce at the rear of the car, they would instantly be the fastest car on the grid again. So it is a technical race against time for Mercedes to resolve the downforce deficiency they have before Redbull ick out a significant lead. Similarly, it is a race for Redbull to amass as many points as possible before Mercedes finds a solution, at least enough for it to be insurmountable for Mercedes.

    This is why the win by Hamilton for Mercedes at Bahrain was so important. My guess is that the strategy by Mercedes would now be to steal as many wins as possible from Redbull when Redbull is not at the top of their game as they were at Bahrain. With Bottas tasked to neutralize Perez so that it is always a straight fight between Hamilton and Verstappen. But to have both cars on the podium when they are not fast enough to win. This would be their best strategy to buy as much time as possible for the engineers to resolve the problem without haemorrhaging too many points.

    Redbull on the other hand, cannot afford to turn up at races not being a 100% prepared. As they have found that Mercedes is still very deadly even with a slower car. And they would be punished dearly for their inefficiencies. As they were in Bahrain. For Redbull, this is a battle of operational efficiency. that is exactly where Mercedes got them at the last race. The absence of Perez from the sharp end of the grid cost them dearly. As it gave Mercedes unchallenged strategic options that presented Hamilton the possibility to steal the win from Verstappen. The Redbull attitude at Bahrain appeared to be complacent on the fact that they knew they had the fastest car and under-estimating Hamilton and Mercedes in the process.

    This is where both the second cars of Mercedes and Redbull must now perform at their very best. Bottas must defeat Perez and Hamilton must defeat Verstappen and the other way round from Redbull's perspective. Bottas and Perez cannot afford any sloppy weekend, as they would cost their teams dearly when they do as Redbull has found.

    It is a proper fight between all aspect of both teams, from drivers to pitstops, to in-race strategies, to excellent car preparation and setup for the race. It is the whole operation that is competing between the two multiple constructors world championship teams of Mercedes and Redbull racing.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 3rd April 2021 at 09:26.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

  9. #88
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,606
    Like
    109
    Liked 171 Times in 118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    I think the Redbull is faster both on straights and the twisties. Mercedes have a more powerful engine but the regulation has prevented the car from putting that power out on to the tarmac due to the less efficient downforce at the rear of the car compared to Redbull. Redbull with lesser power has a higher downforce, hence more effective traction, hence better performance.

    If Mercedes can find a way to increase the downforce at the rear of the car, they would instantly be the fastest car on the grid again. So it is a technical race against time for Mercedes to resolve the downforce deficiency they have before Redbull ick out a significant lead. Similarly, it is a race for Redbull to amass as many points as possible before Mercedes finds a solution, at least enough for it to be insurmountable for Mercedes.

    This is why the win by Hamilton for Mercedes at Bahrain was so important. My guess is that the strategy by Mercedes would now be to steal as many wins as possible from Redbull when Redbull is not at the top of their game as they were at Bahrain. With Bottas tasked to neutralize Perez so that it is always a straight fight between Hamilton and Verstappen. But to have both cars on the podium when they are not fast enough to win. This would be their best strategy to buy as much time as possible for the engineers to resolve the problem without haemorrhaging too many points.

    Redbull on the other hand, cannot afford to turn up at races not being a 100% prepared. As they have found that Mercedes is still very deadly even with a slower car. And they would be punished dearly for their inefficiencies. As they were in Bahrain. For Redbull, this is a battle of operational efficiency. that is exactly where Mercedes got them at the last race. The absence of Perez from the sharp end of the grid cost them dearly. As it gave Mercedes unchallenged strategic options that presented Hamilton the possibility to steal the win from Verstappen. The Redbull attitude at Bahrain appeared to be complacent on the fact that they knew they had the fastest car and under-estimating Hamilton and Mercedes in the process.

    This is where both the second cars of Mercedes and Redbull must now perform at their very best. Bottas must defeat Perez and Hamilton must defeat Verstappen and the other way round from Redbull's perspective. Bottas and Perez cannot afford any sloppy weekend, as they would cost their teams dearly when they do as Redbull has found.

    It is a proper fight between all aspect of both teams, from drivers to pitstops, to in-race strategies, to excellent car preparation and setup for the race. It is the whole operation that is competing between the two multiple constructors world championship teams of Mercedes and Redbull racing.
    Yep, I think you are probably right, that is pretty much my take on it too. I think the Honda unit must be a lot closer than it has been though.
    Trying to get my head around who this might affect most in race pace and whether that may make track position more important for the Red Bull.. but it's not an easy one to determine.

    I just hope Red Bull have some real engine development potential to keep things close as Merc will most likely solve their rear end issue out fairly quickly.
    I'm just praying for a competitive season for a change.. and hopefully one that goes down to the wire.

  10. #89
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita, Kansas U.S.A
    Posts
    128
    Like
    2
    Liked 27 Times in 22 Posts
    It is too bad we have to wait 3 weeks to the next race. That gives Mercedes a lot of time to brings some fixes to their car.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •