Hybrid View

Liked 621 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Why? They can regenerate the battery to full on the road section.
    Not if they're straight out of one and into the other. Now I remember they have this new P1 clash rule so they have the time but if it's just meters down the road they would have to leave the engine running.

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Not if they're straight out of one and into the other. Now I remember they have this new P1 clash rule so they have the time but if it's just meters down the road they would have to leave the engine running.
    Not leave engine running but make quick accelerate / brakings ( I hope they won't do this anyway in public traffic). But as we know two stages will no more be close to each other in terms of time, and likely not in terms of distance either.

I'm also sadly convinced that we won't see anymore stages with 30+ km lengths. As if the changes we have seen during the 2-3 last years have been targeting at the new cars.

Liked 621 Times in 332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Not leave engine running but make quick accelerate / brakings ( I hope they won't do this anyway in public traffic). But as we know two stages will no more be close to each other in terms of time, and likely not in terms of distance either.
    I was assuming it'll charge off the engine in road mode! I can't prove that.

I had something like a Brenig/Alwen in mind, it's not so common you're right. However, trying to recover 7000kj would take pure regen braking at 100% efficiency the equivalent of ~20 stops from 80kph - they ain't got the tech. Another way of putting it is braking to feed 30kW for nearly 4 minutes. Speeding would help but means fines, braking hard probably won't help, just puts more into the pads/discs.

20km between SS1 and SS2 on Thursday will be a useful test. They may have to stop every 500m along the way to recharge. Then it's 12km of mostly straight uphill D-road leading up to the Power Stage. Can they plug in at that regroup? It takes 20 minutes to charge 20-80% plugged into the mains even but they have the time.

These are worst case scenarios too.