Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 122
  1. #31
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    J y v ä s k y l ä
    Posts
    3,344
    Like
    14,592
    Liked 1,764 Times in 875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post

    Mikkelsen should bring money for a drive in a rally 1 car, even if it's just for 6 events.
    Yes, when use of Rally1 starts at 2022

    2021 he should drive Rally2 and keep in touch with events.
    "quattro best 4wd rallycar ever"

  2. #32
    Senior Member EstWRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    9,434
    Like
    4,266
    Liked 8,290 Times in 3,490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    I don’t think Gryazin even will make that level, this season has been hugely disappointing.
    yeah not Solberg and Rovanpera level but i still think he could be fast, but yeah this year has been a step back.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

  3. Likes: pantealex (24th November 2020)
  4. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    3,953
    Like
    282
    Liked 2,350 Times in 1,282 Posts
    Ref. Mikkelsen in MSport.
    While what er88 wrote is an option I am not 100% convinced it's the best idea.
    The most likely outcome with that car is that he would be faster than Lappi and Suninen but clearly slower than all factory Toyotas and Hyundais and sometimes even slower than their "customer" cars (see Katsuta in Estonia this year).
    Furthermore sometimes the internal competition would be decided by road position ( see Suninen vs Lappi in Mexico this year).

    If it goes like this will he be more likely to be picked than the fastest "new" Rally2 drivers?

    The other option is to drive in Rally2 against those new drivers and prove that he is faster than them. There the risk is that he will be just a little faster than them so the "younger" drivers get picked due to more "potential".

    No easy call. His best chance would definitely be with a new manu as a safe pick to perform on all rallies. But doesn't look like any new manus are coming.

  5. Likes: pantealex (24th November 2020)
  6. #34
    Senior Member Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Great Britain
    Posts
    14,696
    Like
    2,831
    Liked 6,902 Times in 3,660 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Let's look!

    Tänak's first WRC car event was Wales 2011. On SS12 he was 3rd fastest, beating the likes of Ogier, Østberg, Sordo, Meeke and Novikov. In his third WRC start, Sweden 2012, he won a stage.

    Elfyn also was 2nd and 4th on stages in Monte 2014, his second WRC start.

    These are already better than Greensmith has done in his eight starts.

    It's true that it takes years to become a regular podium finisher or winner, and not all get there ever. But any driver to become should be able to show even occasional bursts of speed earlier on. Even Lefebvre won a few stages!

    To be fair, I have the same feeling about Katsuta, I doubt he will progress much from the current level, even with this much practice.
    Rich Millener:

    'We’ve always said even if you went into a WRC car it’s probably a three-to-four-year process once you step into that car before you’re actually competitive at the top end. You look at somebody like Kalle who’s been doing a huge amount of testing, he’s putting in some incredible times and he probably could have won a rally this year at some point but there are small mistakes which comes with just having more and more and more time and experience in the car and not only the car but understanding the stages that you’re in and not making any mistakes.
    The top guys are on the top level in the world so to get to that point is not easy.'

  7. #35
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,599
    Like
    5,665
    Liked 6,964 Times in 3,056 Posts
    Like I said, Kalle is in the level where he can show rally winning pace from time to time but not still consistent enough to win rallies. Tänak and Evans were there also quite quickly after getting into WRC. Greensmith is still far from that level.

  8. Likes: cali (25th November 2020),pantealex (25th November 2020)
  9. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,118
    Like
    471
    Liked 676 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Rich Millener:

    'We’ve always said even if you went into a WRC car it’s probably a three-to-four-year process once you step into that car before you’re actually competitive at the top end. You look at somebody like Kalle who’s been doing a huge amount of testing, he’s putting in some incredible times and he probably could have won a rally this year at some point but there are small mistakes which comes with just having more and more and more time and experience in the car and not only the car but understanding the stages that you’re in and not making any mistakes.
    The top guys are on the top level in the world so to get to that point is not easy.'
    So the team manager at M-Sport defends the clearly inadequate (at this level) driving of a man who pays the team a shit load of cash in exchange for one of their cars. Surprise surprise.

  10. Likes: AnttiL (25th November 2020),dimviii (25th November 2020),pantealex (25th November 2020)
  11. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    189
    Like
    44
    Liked 138 Times in 68 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    So the team manager at M-Sport defends the clearly inadequate (at this level) driving of a man who pays the team a shit load of cash in exchange for one of their cars. Surprise surprise.
    Come on, that's too harsh. I'm sure they really think there's some more in greensmith to check out. And he showed some rare glimpse. I remember some good time in Germany and a good afternoon loop in Monte this year. Not nearly enough for sure, i think definitely isn't there yet, but maybe he can improve his pace to a good second-tier driver. I'd give him more time.
    And btw, some style of sunglasses in wrc can't harm! : )

  12. #38
    Senior Member AnttiL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    6,599
    Like
    5,665
    Liked 6,964 Times in 3,056 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    I remember some good time in Germany and a good afternoon loop in Monte this year.
    Monte I already checked out, only one or two stages where he wasn't the slowest WRC and also an embarrassing crash.

    Germany 2019 however went better, he was constantly closer to the main pack and much faster than Katsuta, also being able to beat the likes of Lappi and Mikkelsen a couple of times when they were struggling with their cars, and also being faster than Meeke and Latvala on one short stage. But he also crashed there.

  13. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,118
    Like
    471
    Liked 676 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wyler View Post
    Come on, that's too harsh. I'm sure they really think there's some more in greensmith to check out. And he showed some rare glimpse. I remember some good time in Germany and a good afternoon loop in Monte this year. Not nearly enough for sure, i think definitely isn't there yet, but maybe he can improve his pace to a good second-tier driver. I'd give him more time.
    And btw, some style of sunglasses in wrc can't harm! : )
    He can take as he wants (or as long as the funds allow) to get up to speed. He’s a pay driver, after all.
    I’m just convinced he’s not going to do anything at all.
    M-sport will play whatever tune needs playing to keep him in the car.... it’s all just pound notes to them.

  14. #40
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    GB, Manchester
    Posts
    578
    Like
    253
    Liked 510 Times in 237 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    He can take as he wants (or as long as the funds allow) to get up to speed. He’s a pay driver, after all.
    I’m just convinced he’s not going to do anything at all.
    M-sport will play whatever tune needs playing to keep him in the car.... it’s all just pound notes to them.
    Did Gus take your gf/wife or why are u so btthurt about him in many threads..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •