Page 99 of 117 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC future

Liked 2,439 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    R5s sound really terrible... When I went to Rally Argentina I found the Maxi Rally cars to be far more exciting to watch because of the sound.
    Are they really so terrible?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROTiK8pe-c
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

2. Likes: pantealex (9th November 2020),RS (9th November 2020)
    Liked 70 Times in 36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Besides power supplier tender, Matton confirmed to the press that Rally1H it’s going ahead, no matter how many manus are in…

https://www.revistascratch.com/wrc/n...ricantes-58880

Fingers crossed for Hyundai to keep their entry, as with only two manus the WRC seems to be doomed.
    Couldn't be any more stubborn (or proud, or stupid, make your choice). As usual the people in power believe they know better than anyone and refuse to admit that what was once their bright idea is no longer valid (not even their fault here). Same everywhere, from politics, to companies, to sport.

I hate to say so, but I almost wish both Huyndai and MSport bail out, so that the harsh reality would have to bring them down. Having said this, though, I wish ... not - or the next few years are going to be pretty boring ...

Liked 9,318 Times in 3,752 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by denkimi View Post
    what difference does it makes it that electricity is generated by a diesel generator of by a coal of gas plant a few kilometers away?

it's all about PR and image. noboby cares about the reality. no sport that travels the world will ever be green, but the manufacturers just want to be able to claim otherwise.
    as long as the manufacturers can tell people in their marketing that they are being "green", all the rest doesn't really matter anymore.
    Telling people directly that they are dumb is something which worked perfectly in the past, right? Do you understand that even a minority which gets offended by that can do a lot of noise over social networks etc. and make your effort turning against you? If marketing for EV shall ever work, it must be at least somewhat credible, otherwise you don't need to bother and spend any money because it won't work anyway.

Let me give you an example. The majority of people here is against EV. Three of four guys in whatever pub, you get in, will tell you plenty of reasons why it's bullshit. They happily use every fail used to promote EV and they are very happy when they find more ammunition for their guns - such as last year's pitiful show of the so-called green rally from Rally Bohemia 2019. The way how Audi pressed organizers to change the route because their cars would not be able to get into the finish got into every motoring and motorsport website and the fact that due to that the EVs caused major delay of the main competitive field on the SSS and got into the scheduled national TV stream instead of the main competition was just a cherry on the cake. Basically everybody who watched that and his dog hates them now. And it was discussed to death all over the internet because there is more than enough people waiting for such fails to spread them around.

Think about it again. Your statement is a direct proof that this would not work in the very community which follows this sport because everyone here would take it as a sharade for retards. But who are those retards? People not following the sport? But that sport itself is the marketing and its audience is the target group of that marketing. Do you understand now that this would never work?
    Last edited by Mirek; 8th November 2020 at 22:40.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

5. Likes: pantealex (9th November 2020),Rallyper (9th November 2020)
    Liked 6,913 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    It's quite naive to think the manufacturers are putting in millions to promote only the "homologation specials". Again, petrolhead logic.
    Raising the profile of the brand is the main aim of WRC participation. But sticking with petrol turbos for the next gen i20(N) & Yaris (GR) while insisting they are going 'green' in WRC is strange logic.

If both of these models were hybrid then they would probably promote their brands 'green credentials' more than hybrid WRC's.

Liked 637 Times in 331 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z View Post
    Are they really so terrible?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qROTiK8pe-c
    Yeah, they are on the stage. The Fabia in particular makes a billion sounds and not one of them is a sounds like a nice engine or exhaust sound to me.

The C3 sounds quite nice though, I must say.

Liked 1,784 Times in 932 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.mandzij View Post
    Yeah, they are on the stage. The Fabia in particular makes a billion sounds and not one of them is a sounds like a nice engine or exhaust sound to me.

The C3 sounds quite nice though, I must say.
    I kind of have the opposite view, the Citroen sounds like an old two stroke motorboat engine under braking, Fabia to me sounds quite good now at full pelt:

https://twitter.com/OliverSolberg01/...510064128?s=20

All R5s to me sound better than old GrpN4 cars or some 2L WRCs, but of course not as good as the current World Rally Cars.

9. Likes: pantealex (10th November 2020)
    Liked 7,047 Times in 3,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Raising the profile of the brand is the main aim of WRC participation. But sticking with petrol turbos for the next gen i20(N) & Yaris (GR) while insisting they are going 'green' in WRC is strange logic.

If both of these models were hybrid then they would probably promote their brands 'green credentials' more than hybrid WRC's.
    These cars are just "homologation specials" of the current WRC cars which don't yet have any hybrid elements to them. We don't even know if i20 and Yaris will be used in the 2022 regulations, since larger model bodyshells could be used, Hyundai could want to promote the Kona as a hybrid model etc.

EDIT: not current WRC cars but what would have been the WRC cars in 2021
    Last edited by AnttiL; 12th November 2020 at 09:27.

Liked 174 Times in 113 Posts
    These cars are just "homologation specials" of the current WRC cars which don't yet have any hybrid elements to them. We don't even know if i20 and Yaris will be used in the 2022 regulations, since larger model bodyshells could be used, Hyundai could want to promote the Kona as a hybrid model etc.
    JESUS CHRIST!!!! Again, the Yaris already has a hybrid version for several years and the I20 will have one next year.

Liked 7,047 Times in 3,100 Posts
    Calm down Of course I know there's Yaris hybrids, but it's still not known whether they choose to go rallying in 2022 with that or some other model, since it can be chosen now more freely.

When they started designing the Yaris GR, the 2022 rules were still up in the air. In fact, they were designing things for that car with specifically the now-cancelled 2021 WRC car homologation in mind, not the 2022 car. We could even see all Yaris GR's being sold out before the 2022 WRC cars are out.

Liked 6,913 Times in 3,667 Posts
    These cars are just "homologation specials" of the current WRC .
    Well, the i20N is just a hot version of the new i20, nothing to do with the WRC.

If Toyota and Hyundai want to promote hybrid (performance) cars then their GR & N brands should be doing so more than their WRC entry. But for their newest performance models they are sticking with petrol. This does nothing this promote hybrid to 'petrol-heads' or encourage them to switch...
    T16 is the only member on my Ignore list.