Quote Originally Posted by doubled1978 View Post
Yes, Covid is of course the short term challenge for everything, and I agree with you and have had the same conversation with my wife, that WRC might be in better position to get going with a crowd sooner due to the natural ability to social distance more easily.
The biggest issue I suppose is that unlike a stadium or circuit, that can be closed and policed, a rally is very difficult stop people getting in if they really want to, so does that in itself prevent the events going ahead if they could have done behind closed doors?
I think in the case of WRGB, behind closed doors isn’t an option as they rely on ticket sales anyway.
I’m interested to see how Silverstone is going to be recompensed for running 1 or 2 Grand Prix behind closed doors should that happen, as it has the same issue, needs ticket sales.
I'm guessing that F1 will fund the Silverstone rounds? I'm still in two minds about how this will work... won't they need a huge amount of medical personnel to be present and can this be done without pulling from the NHS in the slightest? If there's the tiniest amount of bad publicity associated with using NHS staff for motorsport in the current situation, I can't see it going ahead. Saying that, I'd trade watching ten GPs to get to see a couple of rallies and a road race.