Thread: WRC future

Threaded View

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by T16 View Post
    my opinion on the level of predictability in today's events? Get a grip and be honest with yourself.... it IS predictable.
    There's been so many last stage lead position changes during 2019 alone. There might have been rallies where Tänak was leading from the first day to the end but even then you still had to be on the edge of your seat to see if the car would last to the finish. And it probably was more predictable before 2017 when it was just Ogier or Loeb dominating rallies from the beginning to the end. Not to mention the dominating eras of Audi and Lancia.

You guys are now mixing up the car formats and event formats. So the cars need to be made cheaper...but the events more expensive? The only way I could see that the events would be made longer is to reduce the number of them. I proposed this on my blog and asked some people who actually organize rallies and they gave a big no. https://itgetsfasternow.com/2020/06/...in-three-days/

"who would benefit from longer rallies - old farts" Maybe a massive group of people who currently don't watch, who would prefer a different format. Are you able to consider that a new format will attract new fans?
    This is as much of a guess as proposing that rallies could gain more audience if they were run on only stadium stages and decided in one day, because hey, F1 is still more popular!. I want some data to back your opinion. And saying "it was better in the 80's" doesn't cut it, the world has changed.

I still want to hear what is the benefit of increasing the endurance element? We have Rally Raids which have that element, how popular are they?

Remember bevore COVID-19 there was this thing called Global Warming and many car manufacturers seemed to be in dire straits? There simply is less money to spend in motorsport and that's why there's no more teams competing.

Going to hybrids is a step onto the correct path, we need to have rallying have some way to market their greener models, which is what they sell now, even though the cars aren't going to be less ecological with the 2022 rules. But for car manufacturers, it's a big thing.
    Last edited by AnttiL; 5th July 2020 at 16:33.