Hybrid View

Liked 99 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    The stewards' decision continues, "the time card was handed over at a regroup, which appears to have been permitted under WRC Art. 48.2.2 unless it is a regroup before a Power Stage, which was the case here"

So let's consult the rulebook again. Rule 48.2.2 reads, "The passing of food, drink, clothing and information (data card, road book, etc.) to or from the crew when located in the zone is permitted:
    -in tyre fitting zones, in light fitting zones from the personnel authorised in the zone only;
    -in service parks, at regroups or whilst the cars are in a media zone."

However, I cannot find any reference to not being allowed to receive materials at a regroup specifically before a power stage. I don't know where this is coming from.
    There is reference of that, just article 13.3.2, characteristics of the power stage: "Be preceded by Media Zone and a regroup of at least 30 minutes. Arts. 42.5.2 and 48.2.2 do not apply for this Media Zone and this regroup."

2. Likes: sonnybobiche (10th June 2018)
    Liked 290 Times in 113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m-ast View Post
    There is reference of that, just article 13.3.2, characteristics of the power stage: "Be preceded by Media Zone and a regroup of at least 30 minutes. Arts. 42.5.2 and 48.2.2 do not apply for this Media Zone and this regroup."
    Thanks for the reference. It indeed says that 42.2.2 does not apply for the media zone and regroup prior to a power stage. However, that only confuses matters more. Since 48.2.2 is an article that sets out constraints on when and by whom food, drink, clothing, and information can be passed to and from the crew, a strict reading of 13.3.2 would mean that 42.2.2 does not apply at this time and that there are no constraints on passing food drink clothing and information to or from the crew during this regroup. It is unclear what the intent of 13.3.2 actually is, but ambiguous wording can only be the fault of the FIA.

Moreover, it seems to me the stop control made a mistake handing the time card to Tanak, since Ogier could have realized his mistake or been informed by the team (who saw it on live TV) and turned around to go get it. Once it was given to another competitor, that was out of Ogier's control.

Liked 853 Times in 392 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sonnybobiche View Post
    Moreover, it seems to me the stop control made a mistake handing the time card to Tanak, since Ogier could have realized his mistake or been informed by the team (who saw it on live TV) and turned around to go get it. Once it was given to another competitor, that was out of Ogier's control.
    It has been stated earlier in this thread that it's not allowed to drive back into TC. Probably they decided to give the time card to Tanak as a mean to let Ogier continue the rally, without prematurely ending the fight, since Ogier would have been excluded without time card. I think if it was a random WRC2 driver to have forgotten the time card, nothing like this would have happened.

5. Likes: pantealex (11th June 2018)