Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Liddle View Post
    They had the support of a WRC Clerk of the Course and a WRC Deputy Clerk of the Course; what level of support do you envisage?
    I would suggest some common sense.

Also I have to say that I find the limit 65 mph as way too low for modern cars and tyres. From the observation all around the world it's very clear that asphalt events are way more dangerous than gravel ones and trying to keep the average speed on gravel so low isn't really necessary.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

2. Likes: AndyRAC (1st May 2016),Fly (1st May 2016),TWRC (1st May 2016)
    Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Also I have to say that I find the limit 65 mph as way too low for modern cars and tyres. From the observation all around the world it's very clear that asphalt events are way more dangerous than gravel ones and trying to keep the average speed on gravel so low isn't really necessary.
    The average used was increased from the start of 2015 and is now 70mph and I have checked the calculations for the Pirelli and they are correct at 70mph.
    Tynemouth Computer Services http://www.tynecomp.co.uk

Liked 580 Times in 212 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I would suggest some common sense.

I probably agree, however, if an incident was to take place and you were forced to answer questions in court would you be suitably qualified to give that answer?

Would anyone be?

If an insurer insists on something being done in order to cover an event, then you have to do it.

The issue with rallying is that the roads are natural. You can't just make them significantly slower. In the same time the cars and tyres get faster and faster. The negotiations between the national authority and the insurance companies shall always consider the reality. It doesn't help anyone to live in some outer space and hope that the organizers will somehow cope with what You define even if that is very hard to achieve.

For sure we can blame the organizers for not being able to build the route in such a way that it fits the regulations. But was that even possible? How many stages would hit the bogey time during the WRC event in Wales? Are they more dangerous than those in Pirelli rally?

There are countries where the average speed on gravel hits even 90 mph and they run such stages even in WRC/ERC (Finland, Estonia, Latvia for example). It's mainly given by the geography and there's not much You can do about it. That's why the limits were canceled in WRC events. The stage needs to be inspected by experienced people but nobody cares about the average speed anymore as the easiest way to bring speed down is to put a hell of chicanes on the stage. Nobody likes them and they aren't always good for the safety (we have quite a lot of accidents in chicanes by the way).

Enough drivel from me. Even if we consider the limit as necessary the rules shall be made that way that they don't ruin the event from the sporting point of view and that they actually do something for safety. Bogey times aren't a good solution for neither of the two points of view.

6. Likes: AndyRAC (1st May 2016),Simmi (1st May 2016)
    Liked 1,530 Times in 658 Posts
    What a shame. Frankly it's a miracle that the BRC is doing so well when it has so many obstacles in its way to making a recovery... Looking at the difference between the bogey time and the quickest times, surely they'd need to use an unreasonable number of chicanes to slow them down enough for the bogey time to clearly not become a factor in play? If there's any respect for the sport I think they must bite the bullet, they're going to have to run it as an International event, apply for the speed dispensation on the insurance and pay the price if necessary. Here though IMS must step in to assist, as the rally organisers/competitors can not be expected to do everything for the BRC! At the end of the day, the BRC is their 'product' to invest in. Avoiding shambles like we've seen this weekend should be their top priority!

I can accept the reasons for us spectators being forced out of the sport, I can appreciate the realities of why these rallies have to be embarrassingly short nowadays, but surely there's enough money and common sense to be found in this sport that a small but significant competition can avoid being undermined by what is, essentially, a senseless box ticking exercise?

As for the rally, congratulations to Ahlin. I'd be interested to know why he chose to use his joker here though? It certainly worked out for him, but as far as I can see he had no prior experience of the stages in 'Killer Kielder'! Also I've got to say I'm surprised and impressed by Matthew Wilson. Obviously he had a good car under him, but having been out of rallying for so long and with much of his time in WRC being spent in what N.O.T might describe as the 'useless dog' class, I didn't expect him to show so well here! While he owes us nothing, I'd like to see him do BRC for a couple of seasons with these kind of performances to somewhat redeem his name in the sport. I imagine he'll be going back to doing business in M-Sport though unfortunately.

Even with the timing shambles, I'm still looking forward to TV highlights. It'll be good to see all these fast cars on the Kielder stages.

8. Likes: AndyRAC (1st May 2016),Simmi (1st May 2016)
    Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Wilson doing testing work all the time, if I´m not wrong. Should give him best practise. Åhlin well worth victory, which btw seems not give him much comments or credit. I don´t know why? Bcs he´s not english...?

but now I must ask - what´s that all about bogey times? Are the BRC not allowed to have rallies in which stages must be ran under 65 mph in average? If so it´s a joke. On gravel that is.

Have a look at Finland, that´s my only comment.

Or anyone explain to me if there are any other views on this matter.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 31 Times in 23 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    but now I must ask - what´s that all about bogey times? Are the BRC not allowed to have rallies in which stages must be ran under 65 mph in average?
    The events are not running as International events but as UK National A events. The specified average speed for a National A event on unsealed roads is 70 mph not 65 mph as you state. The roads in Kielder that the Pirelli Rally was using are particularly fast for UK forests. I am sure the event organisers and IMS (the championship promoters) will be doing all they can to make sure the situation does not arise again.
    Tynemouth Computer Services http://www.tynecomp.co.uk

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rallyper View Post
    Wilson doing testing work all the time, if I´m not wrong. Should give him best practise. Åhlin well worth victory, which btw seems not give him much comments or credit. I don´t know why? Bcs he´s not english...?
    I didn't even look at the results because of this farce with the bogey times.

Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS View Post
    I didn't even look at the results because of this farce with the bogey times.
    Why is it a farse? Does the times not count on stages over 70mph in average - and if so, how many was that?
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Yes, You can't score an official time better than the bogey time. This time it affected 3 of 7 stages with up to 13 competitors per stage (SS6).