Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Corvette racing: LMS GT1 or ALMS GT2

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../70425017/1001

I really hope they stay, but I just don't understand why GT1 is just falling apart. guess its time to get the old Toyota (TS020), Nissan R390, Porsche 911 GT1, and Mercedes CLK-GTR out of retirement and back to save a dying class. now that would be something, having three classes competing for an overall win
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It'd be awesome to see Aston Martin, Oreca Saleen (or any of the other Saleen teams from the LMS), a factory effort from Dodge, Ferrari (privateer since the factory only seems interested in F1) -- I miss the battles between the 550M's and Corvettes, and perhaps some new cars (Lambo, Mosler, etc) joining Corvette in GT1 so that they don't have to make this decision. Since that is a bit idealized, I'd rather see Corvette/Pratt & Miller move to GT2 than completely leave the ALMS altogether. I can't imagine an American racing series without a staple American sports car.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Any speculation as to what's causing a GT1 exodus in the ALMS? Perhaps the constant rule changes drove away Aston Martin/Prodrive?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    They should step down to GT2. They've won their battles in GT1. Really nothing else for them to accomplish. Perhaps the ACO will see fit to create a single GT class.

It really doesn't make sense for AM, Maserati, Lamborghini etc to come over here to race. Not when the LMS is looking good, as well as the FIA GT. Their sponsors are in Europe as well. If anything, the vettes should go to the LMS to compete. The real racing is across the pond in every class, not here.

The ALMS has to be content with what they are getting. The "Build it, and they will come" notion simply doesn't work for auto racing. At least the ALMS is racing under the same regs (well, except for LMP2) as the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and not under separate regs as the 70s, 80s, and part of the 90s.
    9-23-2006 Cadey-Lee Deacon,The Rocket Pub, New Parks, Leicester: Little one, through some miracle of reincarnation may you be given a second chance at a full life. You\'ll not soon leave our thoughts and prayers ;(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The rule changes were mostly in favor of Aston Martin and they were still beaten. Everyone fled GT1 and isn't coming back because of Corvette's dominance.

I'm still in agreement with Penske, sports car racing should have 2 clases. Prototypes and and GT class somewhere between the current GT1 and GT2 classes....look at the size of the fields in Grand Am for an example of this. Given the cars and regs are a bit different, but the 2 class system is a success over there.
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    LMS GT1 isn't that much better than ALMS GT1. Just some 7 cars. Take a look at FIA GT: 15 GT1s!
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tannat
    At least the ALMS is racing under the same regs (well, except for LMP2) as the 24 Hours of Le Mans, and not under separate regs as the 70s, 80s, and part of the 90s.
    THat is the very reason they are the pathetic show they are now; dump the asinine ACO connection and go back to the rules that made them great, especially in the seventies and eighties.

UNTIL they do that they are going nowhere fast.

Bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    THat is the very reason they are the pathetic show they are now; dump the asinine ACO connection and go back to the rules that made them great, especially in the seventies and eighties.

UNTIL they do that they are going nowhere fast.

Bob

What you are suggesting has already been accomplished-it's called Grand Am.

ALMS just needs to stand strong and hope for entries. I don't think alternate formula's will attract more entries. Aside from GT1 and LMP1 the fields are healthy. The series is far from a breaking point...
    9-23-2006 Cadey-Lee Deacon,The Rocket Pub, New Parks, Leicester: Little one, through some miracle of reincarnation may you be given a second chance at a full life. You\'ll not soon leave our thoughts and prayers ;(

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tannat
    What you are suggesting has already been accomplished-it's called Grand Am.

ALMS just needs to stand strong and hope for entries. I don't think alternate formula's will attract more entries. Aside from GT1 and LMP1 the fields are healthy. The series is far from a breaking point...
    ROFLMAO--GARRA is about as far from what the IMSA once was, as it can get.
    Slowmobile Ps, and tube frame or near street stock GTs.

ALMS is pathetic, but it is not a NASCAR wannabe.
    Oh that is right, except for the top two classes it is doing fine; I know, everyone goes to major races just to see the minor classes.
    Yea right.

Bob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Riebe
    ROFLMAO--GARRA is about as far from what the IMSA once was, as it can get.
    Slowmobile Ps, and tube frame or near street stock GTs.

ALMS is pathetic, but it is not a NASCAR wannabe.
    Oh that is right, except for the top two classes it is doing fine; I know, everyone goes to major races just to see the minor classes.
    Yea right.

Bob
    What would you propose? IMSA 70's and 80's were simply variations on ACO classes. Why deviate now when the original is floundering?