Ostberg / Citroen on Rally Mexico:

Mads Ostberg is welcoming a return to gravel for the World Rally Championship and warns the slightest error could be costly at the third round in Mexico.

The Citroen Total Abu Dhabi team says it has made significant upgrades during the off-season to the DS 3 WRC's engine, transmission, chassis, suspension and aerodynamics which will combat the tricky conditions of Rally Guanajuato Mexico.

The rally is runs over 1,800 metres above sea-level and often in very hot temperatures, providing an almost opposition challenge to the snow in Sweden last time out.

“I'm pleased to be back on gravel for this third event,” Ostberg said. “Rally Mexico is a great course and I have always been competitive on the stages here. It's good to be back in Leon and leave the Norwegian winter behind!

“I love the local culture, the welcome and the atmosphere you get around the rally. Last year, I held the overall lead for part of the rally. But it's difficult to get the balance perfectly right – you therefore need to adjust your driving style to counter the effects of the altitude.”

Mexico represents are relatively happy hunting ground for Ostberg, who won five stages last season in the DS 3 WRC and lead between SS3 and SS9 before slipping away and eventually finishing ninth.

“The secret is to be even more focussed than usual, because the slightest error can prove very costly,” Ostberg said. “And with less engine power, it is almost impossible to make up the time lost by a minor mistake. The stages are flowing, fast and not too rough.

“We're going to see how the upgrades to our DS 3 WRC respond on gravel. It will allow us to check whether the team's hard work has paid off and to continue to learn for the rest of the season. We are going to do our best, avoid making any mistakes and adopt a good rhythm so we are on the pace.”