Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

BBC treatment of F1

I know the World Cup will always come first, but come on BBC, one and a half hours of the Austrian Grand Prix relegated to BBC2 on 22 March? What will happen when Wimbledon's on?!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    You mean 22nd June? I think it's the normal highlights package? But yeah terrestrial coverage of F1 is dire now compared to what it was juts a few years ago.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    It's OK when Wimbledon's on - the British Grand Prix's on the Sunday when Wimbledon doesn't play. I think. Or it's the final, in which case there's only one match to avoid. Unless it rains. At the tennis, that is. But it's one race the BBC guarantees live, so it will not be moved. Except possibly from BBC1 to BBC2. But hey, that's hardly a hardship.

On a related issue, I was intrigued to see that the new Thai regime that have just overthrown the previous leaders have forced their national TV stations to start carrying all the World Cup matches on free-to-air channels. Now I know there's not as many of us here as there used to be, but if we all got together and marched on Downing Street... it could be the first step to restoring full live coverage on a channel that isn't run by Australian criminals
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inimitablestoo View Post
    but if we all got together and marched on Downing Street... it could be the first step to restoring full live coverage on a channel that isn't run by Australian criminals

Let's do it! Although can it wait until next week cos of my dodgy knee
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    The World Cup and Wimbledon have to be given prime slots because their audience is far greater than F1. With F1's popularity slipping into decline globally with only a very slight increase in UK viewers from 2013, I can't see why broadcaster's would bend over backwards for it. I will probably more likely record the F1 and watch a football match live as the World Cup only happen's every 4 years. F1 isn't attempting to try and retain my viewer-ship by moving onto pay TV so I'm not sure what I owe it any more? I'll watch, but won't go out of my way if it clashes with two sports who have made themselves more affordable within my license fee.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
    The World Cup and Wimbledon have to be given prime slots because their audience is far greater than F1. With F1's popularity slipping into decline globally with only a very slight increase in UK viewers from 2013, I can't see why broadcaster's would bend over backwards for it. I will probably more likely record the F1 and watch a football match live as the World Cup only happen's every 4 years. F1 isn't attempting to try and retain my viewer-ship by moving onto pay TV so I'm not sure what I owe it any more? I'll watch, but won't go out of my way if it clashes with two sports who have made themselves more affordable within my license fee.
    With you entirely. Very well put.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    On a related issue, I was intrigued to see that the new Thai regime that have just overthrown the previous leaders have forced their national TV stations to start carrying all the World Cup matches on free-to-air channels. Now I know there's not as many of us here as there used to be, but if we all got together and marched on Downing Street... it could be the first step to restoring full live coverage on a channel that isn't run by Australian criminals
    Whose products all three main British political party leaders are all too delighted to promote.

Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
    ...if we all got together and marched on Downing Street... it could be the first step to restoring full live coverage on a channel that isn't run by Australian criminals

F1 is set up predominantly for the Australian audience. Most of the races are scheduled so that they are run at 9:30pm on Sunday night - the perfect viewing time for F1 - kids in bed, wife on phone whinging to her mother about you know who.

Now, if your Downing Street plan is to be arrested, banished and then come back to buy your own TV station, I'm pretty sure that transportation ain't on the books no more.

The ship has sailed so to speak...

Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    F1 is was more British than ATP or WTA.

The Fifa World Cup has plenty of British league players, I admit.
    Nitropteron - Fly fast or get crushed!
    by NaBUrean Prodooktionz
    naburu38.itch.io

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    The BBC's coverage of F1 has slid into decline unfortunately, though this was somewhat inevitable once the rights to screen all the races live went to Sky and key personel in the BBC's lineup left for new pastures (Martin Brundle & Ted Kravitz from BBC TV to Sky F1, Natalie Pinkham, David Croft & Ant Davidson from BBC Radio to Sky F1 and finally Jake Humphrey from BBC TV to BT Sport). As for the BBC now, Ben Edwards is a decent commentator and DC is ok but I do find that fact that he can't say the word "mirrors" properly ever so slightly disconcerting! For me the optimal lineup is still David Croft & Ant Davidson which is something we only get during free practice on Sky F1, i'm not saying that Martin Brundle isnt good, he is, its just that as a combo Crofty & Ant offer more than the sum of their parts. As for a change to this status quo, I don't realistically see any prospect for a change in the broadcasting of F1 in the UK until the end of the current deal in 2019. After this date, who knows, if F1 continues it's decline in TV ratings and fails to embrace the changing landscape of media it might have become devalued enough to be affordable to a free to air broadcaster once again!