I don't think this season has been the most memorable in the (short) history of World Rallycross, but I do think that what Kristoffersson has achieved in 2018 is being sold short based on how strong the PSRXVW Polo was in 2017.

I personally think that the PSRXVW, EKS and Peugeot Total cars were all much closer this year (I would say the battle for second place is evidence of this). Discounting victory at Barcelona, Johan has outperformed every other driver out on track this year and, when you consider who was in the top seven cars, that's pretty bloody impressive.

For me the biggest issue this year was the tracks. They have been slowly straying away from the traditional venues (which, to an extent, I can understand), but the replacements have been variable in quality and some (specifically thinking CotA) were bloody awful.

As for spectacle I think the current cars are bloody awesome. Something that is often overlooked when the 80's/90's rose tinted spectacles come out is that, although the cars back there were spectacular, they were also rather unreliable. Like the progression in rally, modern rallycross cars are a lot more reliable as well as being silly quick (as much as people gripe, I would say that is one of the benefits that restrictions have brought). Yeah, driving styles have changed with the technology, but there is still plenty of sideways action.

I have seen a lot of comments online already with people proclaiming the death of World Rallycross next year and I think it's a bit soon to start making sweeping statements like that.