Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts

Should Gravel Traps Return?

Inspired by us having a discussion in the wrong thread. I thought it could do with one of its own. Especially now with the off season coming.

So a place to discuss. Whether Gravel Traps or something else that would actually penalise drivers for going of track should be bought in again, in order to challenge the drivers more.

As personally I feel we see to many mistakes go unpunished. Coming to the fore even more after the stewards lack of action in Abu Dhabi.

Also I will be honest. I preferred F1 with a bit of jeopardy in terms of risking retirement.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 165 Times in 131 Posts

Re: Should Gravel Traps Return?

Yes they should. This concrete run-off that drivers can simply drive across without slowing down is absurd. Yes I know the concrete was considered safer than gravel, because a spinning car would generate more friction sliding on it than it would in gravel, but that is not the point I am trying to make.

Quite. Case in point at the weekend, Sutil scooting across the run off and passing Maldonado and keeping ahead of Perez. Gravel trap he would have been less hasty in launching down the outside and stayed on track. Also if he had gone wide, he certainly wouldn't be cheating Perez.

In case anyone is going to point out that he was forced wide, I would argue Maldonado out braked himself and as a chasing driver he should have been ready to stay on track and not put himself in a position where he has to go off track.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel very strongly about this.

I am using on-screen keyboard at the mo to replace letters e t and z among others, but its hard work...
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am using on-screen keyboard at the mo to replace letters e t and z among others, but its hard work...
    If you feel strongly about gravel traps, you should see a therapist. It's a really weird fetish.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew someone was with me.

or should that be, I kn w som on was wi h m

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts

Is a car when airborne, when landing, if it strikes the ground provide a safer environment?
    Moreover, if a car strikes a gravel trap side on, does that provide a safer environment?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tClwyQxc7vk

If a driver was unconscious and trapped in an upside-down car, are there adequate provisions to be able to extract and rescue said drivers.

Yes, motor racing is dangerous but the teams who pay very large amounts of dollarpounds, have a right to ask about the return on investment of one of their critical components.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts

i'm not keen on gravel traps, on account of the number of cars i've seen turn over when arriving at speed sideways, and also the number of times a tiny mistake, or event not of the drivers doing (anpother driver forcing soeine wide for example) then ends their race. However I am not a fan of the type of things we saw in Abu Dhabi, at least maldonado turned and attempted to come back on track at the nearest possible point, slowing himself by doing so, sutil took the easy option and ploughed on regardless. For me, the resolution to that sort of behavious would be to mandate the car coming to a complete stop before being allowed to re-enter the track, in the event al 4 wheels have left the circuit. Easy to enforce, instatnt drive through if not done. for the occasions where that penalises someone taking avoiding action of an accidend or being forced off by another driver, then the other driver should be penalised (as they already are) for forcing another car off the track. it would be better than avoiding an accident and getting stuck in the gravel, even if you had to stop
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Well I for one would like to see gravel traps back. Like others have said above, it's crazy that drivers can just run off the track and carry on like nothing ever happened! Bring them back and make the drivers work to get round the track. The cars are already to easy to drive, get them to work for their money again!
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2
    Well I for one would like to see gravel traps back. Like others have said above, it's crazy that drivers can just run off the track and carry on like nothing ever happened! Bring them back and make the drivers work to get round the track. The cars are already to easy to drive, get them to work for their money again!
    his x 000 (numbrs on and wo on kyboard don' work ihr)
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.