Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
More left-wing, class warfare, pseudo-intellectual, prattle.

Great way to market yourself to your low-intelligence audience.

Paxman was right Russell Brand is “very trivial man”
While I obviously wouldn't criticise someone simply for being left-wing, I fear you are right. 'Pseudo-intellectual' just about sums it up (though this is better than anti-intellectualism, a stance you have often embodied). If he didn't use words like 'paradigm' and 'lachrymose' an awful lot of people who've been lauding Brand for his performance (which is absolutely what it was) wouldn't have given it a second look.

As for his call for a revolution, I've rarely heard anything more stupid. The democratic system may have its faults but it at least offers certain safeguards, something Brand, in his vague, ill-thought-out calls for change, seems to forget. He made some quite good points about reasons for lack of political participation, but they are obscured by the manner in which he made them. There are many problems with our political class and the system as a whole, but they will not be addressed via the undemocratic imposition of Russell Brand's notion of utopia. His not voting, incidentally, I see as the least of the problems with his remarks. I at present have no intention to vote at the next general election because I no longer have a party to vote for, although I have always exercised my right in the past. It doesn't disqualify one from holding opinions and expressing them. The problem with never voting yet calling for political change, as does Brand, is that it suggests him not to believe in democracy.

Finally, anthonyvop, you are quite right to use the term 'market yourself'. This is exactly what he was doing. He has a new stand-up tour starting and I doubt whether the interview would have taken place otherwise.