Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts

Re: 2014 Silly-Season

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    What so silly is about 2014 season? Every year You name the thread a "XXXX Silly Season", why?
    The reason is that I actually go back to these threads and have a look once and awhile, to see if what we thought and meant turns out to be the reality.

Maybe it is better to call it silly-season with a dash, but that has to be judged by the native speakers i here. but the expression itself is a normal way of describing the periode where teams and drivers are looking for options for the following season.

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts

Re: 2014 Silly Season

Quote Originally Posted by NxOxT
    there is a difference between driving a WRC car competitively and driving a lesser car competitively... it is not the same thing... .
    Actually, there's not. There is a step up in the game but mastering the car is probably the easiest part. And when you are a perpetual winner, as Paddon is, both are well within your grasp.
    This game is no different from any other ... it is the top two inches that separate winners from losers.
    Paddon is a winner and a WRC is just another seat to win in.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you are wrong. Again. sorry.

Many were winners in lesser classes but when they came to WRC they failed...

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts

there is a difference between driving a WRC car competitively and driving a lesser car competitively... it is not the same thing... last year Ogier was struggling to beat Mikkelsen in an s2000... Kopecky is another example and also Hanninen, Henning and many many others...
    Generally I do agree with You but I would not choose Hänninen and Kopecký as examples. Why?

Hänninen did only few single events in WRC cars with just very short or no testing. A success in WRC needs more than to try. It's the top league where details are crucial. I'm sure Juho knows that as he drove for factory team but he is getting older so I guess he tried to gamble with his limited chances. After all if he drives for Hyundai he might be successful in that attempt to get a factory WRC seat

Kopecký did more events in WRC car but never with competitive one. When he drove few events for factory team he was completely unexperienced newcomer and later he was just a privateer with outdated car (although he and his father's team managed to make it better than the factory ones it was still reasonably outdated, especially the 20V engine which was lacking over 100 Nm to competitors in 2007). Since 2007 he has never done a single rally with WRC car. I'm pretty sure that he is faster and much more consistent driver now but I'm also sure that he is not of the very top drivers in the world except maybe on certain events.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

there are millions of examples through the years...sola, carlsson, duval, loix, alister macre and the list goes on and on on...

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts

As I said I do agree with You but I would not picked those two, nothing else
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The point is if he isn't given a chance to show what he can do in a WRC car nobody is ever really going to know... And yes the past is littered with talent that has ultimately proved mediocre, but hind sight is a splendid thing for a fool.
    Sollitt is right , given his current and past form he has done more than any of the up and coming talent to be given a chance.

Apparently he tested a WRC car after rally GB last year ?

Visionary
    Liked 167 Times in 69 Posts

you are wrong. Again. sorry.
    Many were winners in lesser classes but when they came to WRC they failed...
    Not wrong at all NxOxT. You have decided these other people, and their performances, are comparable.
    In reality they are not.
    The step up will always be much higher, and therefore more difficult, for some than for others.
    Never do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a paramedic.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Next year Citroen line-up could be Neuville-Kubica in my view. And I somehow doubt Hyundai will take two Finns though who knows. Paddon sounds likely in Hyundai.

Liked 1,490 Times in 851 Posts

driver's line up will be more interesting than next year's calendar
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig