Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First-timer at Monza... GA or grandstands?

I'm in Italy the first weeks of September, and am planning to go to the September 8th F1 race at Monza. I've never been to this track and never seen an F1 race in person, so I need some pointers

1) How is the GA experience? Can you see anything? I'm also considering grandstands 20 (uncovered) and 24 (covered). Thoughts?

2) Outside of that... whats th ebest way to get there? Is parking okay, or is it a disaster when you leave? What are the public transit options?

3) Are there any other "must-do" items that I should get to while I'm there?

Thanks a ton!

Liked 25 Times in 25 Posts
    An excellent choice of circuit.

Nowhere else has an atmosphere or soul like Monza.

For a first-timer, you need to know that there are free trains from Milan Central Station to Monza on race weekends. On the Sunday they run to the Lesmo station too.

Forget driving.

For admission I always go General. But it isn't always a great view. The run up to Parabolica is all seating now pretty much, so really you are left with Curva Grande or the Lesmo corners.

Be aware that the hardcore, more youthful Tifosi sleep rough at the Lesmo.

Ok if you are a Ferrari fan. A bit boisterous if you are not.

If you aren't Ferrari, expect to be heckled pretty much everywhere, but in a friendly way.

Toilets are inadequate. Take toilet paper and antibacterial gel, because the facilities are just portaloos. Not nice by Sunday.

The grandstands have all the best views, obviously. They don't have as much of a unique experience as General.

In the last few laps, get down to the first chicane or the Parabolica and look for Tifosi with tin-snips. Follow them through the fence, run and you can see the drivers on the podium.

Unbelievable experience if Ferrari win.

Also watch for the Ferrari mechanics handing champagne over the pit wall!

Enjoy.
    Q: What's worse than a Bully? A: His Sidekick

I forgot this. Very important.

Monza autodromo is in a Royal Park. You will walk a lot.

Wear comfortable shoes.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I endorse everything above. We did a 4-mile walk each way, each day, before realising there was a free train. It does get crowded, and the smell can be a bit funky, but it's certainly easier than the alternatives. The toilets start off like the way a festival ends, and only get worse, and if you think about going off into the woods be aware that many others probably had the same idea before you, so watch your step! Food and beer is reasonable in the grounds, but nobody seems bothered if you take your own. If you can get there on the Thursday the pitlane is open for a walkabout but don't expect to see any drivers hanging about that early. The atmosphere is incredible: as Brits were were hopelessly outnumbered by the Tifosi but never made to feel intimidated.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Also, if you have the time, you can walk around the track after the race and when the podium celebrations are over. Don't forget to walk on the old banking. That is perhaps the most evocative piece of road I have ever stood on.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    @sadbuttrue - lucky you! Monza is one of the must see's on my list. One day. Some friends went there for a WSBK race a few years ago and loved it - an F1 race with thousands of tifosi would be something else again. You must dredge up this thread once you have been and post your adventures.

Re: First-timer at Monza... GA or grandstands?

So, how was it for you?