Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Sorted: See page 1.

Since we are pretty well much talking about a whole scale infrastructure set-up, surely that's a logical step? It could be built over a shorter time frame than the existing motorways were built, mainly because electric slots on motorways could be retro fitted to existing motorways. Or connect us all up to overhead wires like trolley buses in San Francisco.
    Makes you wonder why we ever did away with the trolley-bus & tram network. Rather shotsighted when you think about it!
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Makes you wonder why we ever did away with the trolley-bus & tram network. Rather shotsighted when you think about it!
    The trolley buses and trams often dated back to the 1920's or earlier, after the war the country was bankrupt and our infrastructure shot. We couldn't afford the investment to replace the aging trams and trolley buses, and petrol & diesel was cheap and readily available, so it made sense at the time to replace the electric systems with the much more flexible and cheaper oil powered buses.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    As long as it didn't cost me more than the 60 quid a week it does now then why not. If I have to charge 2 batteries a week or say 3 if I want juice for the weekend and it suddenly costs me more than I pay now, I wouldn't be interested. I'm not going to get huge satisfaction knowing I'm saving the planet if the cold reality is I'm skint lol.
    Of course I very much suspect it'll end up cheaper even when you factor in the cost of a battery replacement every how many years.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    In theory that is perfect! However, how many battery units do you need to store based upon;

Cars visiting in a day, and
    recharge time per battery unit.

This determines how many batteries to store. Just how big does the warehouse need to be to store all those batteries?

Then there is battery lifecycle, they don't last forever and efficiency will start to degrade.

I am sure an answer will be found, but will it be found before fuel rationed to distribution and emergency services?
    Well, have an upfront charge per year to cover the cost of battery degradation and obviously a charge for how much juice you use.

There's still more than enough oil coming out the ground to keep us going long enough for a workable solution to be found IMHO.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Sorted: See page 1.

Since we are pretty well much talking about a whole scale infrastructure set-up, surely that's a logical step? It could be built over a shorter time frame than the existing motorways were built, mainly because electric slots on motorways could be retro fitted to existing motorways. Or connect us all up to overhead wires like trolley buses in San Francisco.
    How would this work in torrential rain or in heavy snow?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    That's still an overnight journey. Then I have to get my family and all that luggage from the station to the remote village where the cottage is. Ahat about days out - spend even more on taxi trips? It's just not practical.

I'd much rather have my own oil burner and cruise along the motorway gently at the most economical speed. Up in Scotland, some of the places we visit on a day trip would require a recharge for the electric car.

Electric isn'e there yet, but when it is I'm in!
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    Not able to bog down sounds to me like those starts would be exponentially harder , trying to tame all that instant horsepower .
    Keeping the tires from lighting up every time you hit the pedal might just be a bigger task than what we have now .
    They could easily have a starting map which limits the amount of torque the engine delivers, modern cars are still traction limited on starts also.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    Same here.

They could easily have a starting map which limits the amount of torque the engine delivers, modern cars are still traction limited on starts also.
    You're talking about Formula 1? Driver skill might be required, I know the current crop of drivers don't have any of that so we might have to get new ones
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    You're talking about Formula 1? Driver skill might be required, I know the current crop of drivers don't have any of that so we might have to get new ones
    I was saying that electric F1 cars would require less skill.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I was saying that electric F1 cars would require less skill.
    You'd just need a Scalextric controller.......
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The trolley buses and trams often dated back to the 1920's or earlier, after the war the country was bankrupt and our infrastructure shot. We couldn't afford the investment to replace the aging trams and trolley buses, and petrol & diesel was cheap and readily available, so it made sense at the time to replace the electric systems with the much more flexible and cheaper oil powered buses.
    In North America , GM teamed up with Standard and another oil company , to buy out most of the electric tram systems , replacing them with diesel bus .
    Some of the same guys responsible for the depression took the reins and provided themselves with a steady income .