Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

How good or out of shape are you all in???

I'm in the dumps . . . . pathetic!

When I was young I played football and basketball every day, all day it seemed.
    Later in life I became a gym buff and when I turned 40 I stopped exercizing regularly and focused on my son, wife and work.

Last year I was back on the football (soccer) field coaching my son Manuel's team on the NYC West Side Soccer League. At the end of the season, the league organized a "parents" game and I enthusiastically signed on. I bought myself some new soccer shoes, my son gave me some cool shin guards (we didn''t have those when I was young) and we played the game last weekend.

I started as forward and after my first sprint to fight for a ball I was wheezing - so was the other dad I was sprinting with and we both knew that we were into a whole new and painful different world.

The good news is that I actually scored a goal, had an assist and had a cool out of the box shot hitting the upper right goal post.
    the bad news . . . . I spent most of the game on my butt. A new reality for me was that my mind was faster than my body. I would see the play, knew what I had to do and when it came on to me actuallly doing it, my feet would trip onto each other and I wouuld kiss the grass, butt or face first. I did a lot of cursing in the process.

The first three days after the game were painfull and my walk was actually a waddle. It's been more than a week and I could not play a game even if I wanted to. Recuperation - if ever - will take a while.

My advice to you young forumers/ Don't let it happen to you. Try to stay in shape.

How are you all doing shape wise? ( and I don't necesarily mean belly wise)

mokin:
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm in terrible shape for being just 21.
    Last week I played indoor soccer, after 30 minutes I could barely walk
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race aficionado
    My advice to you young forumers/ Don't let it happen to you. Try to stay in shape.

How are you all doing shape wise? ( and I don't necesarily mean belly wise)

mokin:
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to keep in shape.

I think I am in great shape. Go to the gym once a week, do pe lessons twice a week and walk to school 5 days a week at a fast pace. So yeh I'm in great shape. (well I hope I am)
    RIP Colin McRae

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    too late race
    I put on too much weight in the UK - no, not the fish&chips... muscle is heavier than fat
    Problem is, stop judoing, squashing and rowing and 10 years later the muscle turns into fat :
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    hmm i play football and bball everyday.. started training for the marathon next month.. so would say im in decent shape.. i think..
    :bounce: Go Mikko :bounce: Go Petter :bounce:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by jso1985
    I'm in terrible shape for being just 21.
    Last week I played indoor soccer, after 30 minutes I could barely walk
    jso! you are too young for that! join the soccer league pronto!
    Quote Originally Posted by nicemms
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do my best to keep in shape.

I think I am in great shape. Go to the gym once a week, do pe lessons twice a week and walk to school 5 days a at a fast pace. So yeh I'm in great shape. (well I hope I am)
    looks like you are OK

Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    too late race
    I put on too much weight in the UK - no, not the fish&chips... muscle is heavier than fat
    Problem is, stop judoing, squashing and rowing and 10 years later the muscle turns into fat :
    Donks, so you are one of those where muscle turns to fat? Stop eating so much and get back to those cool sports you once practiced (that is if it's not really too late)
    Quote Originally Posted by wacked
    hmm i play football and bball everyday.. started training for the marathon next month.. so would say im in decent shape.. i think..
    show off! ahhhh . . . enjoy the moments man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bit of a sob story this. Up until the start of this year I was in fantastic shape, went to the gym every day, played football twice a week, worked out at home, and went kickboxing. I was really proud of myself and was really happy with the shape I was in.

The only thing that was ever wrong was my knees and unfortunately for all of this year Ive been unable to play any sports and only been able to do very limited exercises as the problem with me knees got progressively worse and had to go to the docs to see whats what. Basically the Patella (knee cap) has been dragged towards the outside of the knee on both legs and the fibres connecting bones to muscles have been worn down as a result.

So at the minute Im probably in the worst shape of my life, and cant do a bloody thing about it. Having physio once a week is the most I can do until the quacks decide its time for surgery, at the end of February hopefully. Oh and its also probably nullified the Sports degree Ive got.

Cheers
    Im back! Now what'd I miss?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That muscle to fat thing is a myth isnt it, I mean muscle cannot actually turn into fat.

I took up cross country running about 10 years ago mainly because it was great cure for my haemoroids I found ( improved circulation is the trick, you see ) and it kept me in great shape, but I haven't ran much since last summer and Im getting all soft.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    That is indeed a sob story viper man.
    It sucks really . . . . I hope that surgery does the job and that you are up and running soon.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    yep. get well soon viper
    United in diversity !!!