Page 5 of 107 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    In Czech we say something like it's one exception confirming the rule

I didn't mean it that any combination of works car and driver will always be faster than any combination of private car and driver I meant that in general Hänninen with works Fabia will always win the championship against any possible real privateer in Fabia. If You understand me.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 3,802 Times in 1,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarek Z
    Sorry Petr, but this is not true. As far as I remember Rossetti, Betti, Oleksowicz, Fontana, Isik and other drivers from your list (I think even Solowow) have never driven all championship rounds, not in ERC and not in WRC. This is only wishful thinking, that a private driver can afford to drive the whole championship. It is sad, but true.
    I wrote all or almost all. For example last year - Luca Betti and Maciej Oleksowicz were missing only in one event (and it was because of results system, when the worst result is cancelled), Solowow was doing complete ERC in 2009, Corrado Fontana almost too (he was missing only on last event, when he was without chance for better result). In 2008, Solowow, Isik and Betti made all starts in ERC. In 2007, Jean-Joseph and Isik made all events, Travaglia, Solowow, and Iliev were missing in one event.

Liked 3,802 Times in 1,690 Posts
    There should be more exceptions. Look for example this year Madeira. Juho with complete factory support wasnt able to beat Bruno with private "****ty" Peugeot from Delta Racing...

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    You didn't get it either... I don't speak about one event in a season which is overall totally dominated by one. That changes nothing on general picture.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 3,305 Times in 1,741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    In Czech we say something like it's one exception confirming the rule
    We have the same saying in Poland, so I get your point
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 313 Times in 137 Posts
    I’m happy if ERC can increase the appreciation with Eurosport. The next tier below WRC should be ERC but imo it has been IRC in recent years.

The problem could still be with so many WRC events are in Europe and they get all the publicity. But it worked with Eurosport’s IRC so way not Eurosport with ERC.

There were many drivers showing their talent in IRC and hopefully that continues in ERC with hopefully more affordable R5 cars.
    “Don’t eat the yellow snow” Frank Zappa

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    There is very little electronics in S2000 car. ECU is standard and must be homologated including software. Of course there are various maps. The rest of the car is completely mechanical. How exactly simpler You would like to make it? What is different is that works teams have virtually unlimited testing and sources (tyres, spare parts). The drivers can concentrate only on driving, feel maximum comfortable with the car thanks to the testing kilometers. It will be same if they drive a kart made of wood.
    I would just make the regulations as waterproof as possible. The one thing that separate the privates from the works teams is the ECU mapping, and possibilities to reprogram it or get access to all made
    The mechanic parts is understanable for a trained machanic, and they can test and tweak. The ECU mapping is another story....
    Petter Solberg in a private Citroen, and the private focus/fiestas through time tells us this has been an issue.

This will be THE key factor for the success of the R5 class imo, that is made to be a car for privateers in national and regional series. It will fail if you have access to mappings level 1,2 or 3 depending on how good a customer you are.

All I want is to secure a level playing field to start with. If some teams have more money for parts, testing and set up is fine. But letting the regulations make a A and a B team just after you bought the car will not be good for anyone. That is why making the ECU mappings open for all customers, or homologate a few, will imo level the field.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Tech stuff aside, we can agree on disagreeing

How many rouds should be on the ERC calendar?
    What rallies would you have on your calendar ?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland
    Tech stuff aside, we can agree on disagreeing

How many rouds should be on the ERC calendar?
    What rallies would you have on your calendar ?
    10 rounds would be nice, a serious championship, but a little shorter than the WRC.
    It should contain: Arctic Rally, 24 heures d'Ypres, Vinho Madeira, Rally Estonia, Cyprus, Tour de Corse, San Remo Rally, Raid Polski, Barum and the Hellendoorn Rally (but that's just because I'm Dutch ;-) )

And there should not be a rule that have the best 8 out of 10 results count. It should be 10 out of 10, and no multipliers like in last years IRC, that made it completely non-understandable for the fans. Simplicity is bliss, whoever scores the most points on all the rounds, wins. Easy, fair and square.

Liked 3,305 Times in 1,741 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally-eMag
    It should contain: Arctic Rally, 24 heures d'Ypres, Vinho Madeira, Rally Estonia, Cyprus, Tour de Corse, San Remo Rally, Raid Polski, Barum and the Hellendoorn Rally (but that's just because I'm Dutch ;-) )
    Oh no, don't exclude Mille Miglia, please! That is my favourite event. Can we replace Arctic with Janner Rally? I'm afraid that Finns are not interested in ERC.
    Cyprus? Why do you want to organize rallying in countries where there is no interest in this sport? This mistake was made many times in the past. Let's not repeat it

Quote Originally Posted by Rally-eMag
    And there should not be a rule that have the best 8 out of 10 results count. It should be 10 out of 10, and no multipliers like in last years IRC, that made it completely non-understandable for the fans. Simplicity is bliss, whoever scores the most points on all the rounds, wins. Easy, fair and square.
    I agree that simplicity is bliss, no multipliers, coefficients etc. But 10 out of 10? How many private drivers do you know who can afford 10 rounds in an international championship these days?
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!