Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
.... The straight six power-plant in that rig was a perfect balance of fuel economy and power....
That reminds me of the other family vehicle we once had: a 1964 Plymouth Valiant, with a slant-six, 225(?) cu. in. engine. I believe it produced about 180hp which wasn’t stellar but that engine was indestructible. We owned that car well into the 1980’s and Chrysler was still producing and fitting that engine into several of their new cars.
The Valiant we had was equipped with push-button automatic transmission and was the car I first learned to drive .

I remember the road trip the family did in that car one summer, pulling a pop-up tent trailer from Montreal to Florida . The water pump gave out somewhere in South Carolina but as luck would have it, the first service station we limped into happened to have a replacement

I don't know what the final odemeter was when we finally got rid of it (the rear differential gave way, but the engine was still in perfect running order) because the speedometer stopped working long ago : .