Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Will McLaren support Lewis now?

Do you think that McLaren will push hard for the WDC with Lewis now, when it is known that he will go to Mercedes next year? They said that they are committed to this, but also said that they will support Jenson and Lewis equally:
    McLaren committed to Hamilton's bid | Planet F1 | Formula One | News, Standings, Results, Features, Video

(McLaren) "remains absolutely committed to fighting for, and providing every opportunity to both Jenson Button and Lewis Hamilton to contest, the 2012 drivers' and Constructors' World Championships."

What do you think?
    Formula 1

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Yes of course they will. Next year is a different story.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    I think realistically the WDC is out of reach anyway, now it's about getting the maximum possible points for both drivers to fight for the constructors' championship.

Liked 192 Times in 174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I think they will because winning a WDC is just as important to them as would be for Lewis.
    Why is a WDC as important to the team as it is to the driver?

Although I think they will still give Lewis every opportunity to fight for the title, they will also most likely favour Button a bit more, naturally...
    Tito Vilanova = :champion:

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    If the Boss wins the WDC at least McL' will keep the trophy.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    Do you think that McLaren will push hard for the WDC with Lewis now, when it is known that he will go to Mercedes next year?
    I suspect they will, but you never know. At least if Lewis has any mechanical failures or botched pit stops from now on, we know who to blame.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    I'm not sure about this, but I think a WDC nets the team bonuses and quite a bit of TV money as well. Besides more wins and Lewis becoming WDC gets Mclaren a shot at the Constructor's title as well, which is another truckload of money and trophies that Mclaren so care about.

Mclaren is not so far away from Red Bull in the Constructor's championship. If Grosjean can stop crashing into Lewis and the Mclaren can stop failing, and Button can strap on a pair and get several podiums, Mclaren could be looking at a WDC/WCC lockout come Brazil.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I think they will because winning a WDC is just as important to them as would be for Lewis. They may halt development this year however and focus on changing the car more to suit Button.
    I think so as well...
    Formula 1

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm

Although I think they will still give Lewis every opportunity to fight for the title, they will also most likely favour Button a bit more, naturally...
    When the opportunity rises: WDC has - is and should be the greatest accolade.

No better example than 1999. Winning WCC meant nothing to them.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRaiden
    I'm not sure about this, but I think a WDC nets the team bonuses and quite a bit of TV money as well. Besides more wins and Lewis becoming WDC gets Mclaren a shot at the Constructor's title as well, which is another truckload of money and trophies that Mclaren so care about.
    I believe according to the Concorde agreements teams get paid primarily on WCC positioning with bonuses for their history in the sport and other factors, WDC points not being amongst them.

Still if McLaren gave Alonso full support in 2007 despite what he did to the team I think they'll find the grace to give Lewis their full support.