I have to say that the contract extension of Massa has been the most disappointing news to me in this silly season. Yes, he has looked better and even sort of "okay" in the second half of the season. Even had a couple of great races, which reminded me the Felipe from his prime (2008). But he still doesn't have the consistency. And he has been given so many opportunities already that I don't think he is going to (re)gain it.

I can give a benefit of doubt if a driver underperforms for one year. Even two. But three is too much, especially as we are talking about a seat in a top team. F1 as a sport is so competitive with the need to deliver consistently that I am stunned, how someone can keep basically a top drive, while having been underwhelming for the majority of three years. I can't really remember a driver like that from the past. Even Fisichella was sent away from Renault after three years.

It looks like Ferrari really values the aspect of "family" much. Domenicali, Montezemolo, Alonso are all great friends with Massa by the looks of it and as long as he manages performances, which are not too embarrasing, they are fine in sticking with him.