Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Targa Tasmania 2012

You would be forgiven to think the rally world in Australia has gone mad of late.
    - Targa High Country, Jason White wins by driving his Lambo up Mt Buller on fire to win the event.
    - Targa Wrest Point, 2 cars plunge into the Huon river from a 10-15 metre drop.
    - Rally Calder, Aston Martin Vantage heavily damaged when colliding with a concrete barrier.

Hopefully Targa Tasmania will restore some sanity and normality to the Aussie rally world!!!! So much of this event has changed in 2012.
    - Day 0 has the practice stage then Prologue at George Town
    - Day 1 has been reversed and lengthened.
    - Day 2 has been reversed (breaking 20 year tradition)
    - Day 3 now goes from Launceston to Strahan
    - Day 4 is a North West loop, a huge day starting and finishing in Strahan and see's the return of Pieman Road.
    - Day 5 sees the monster 58km Mt Arrowsmith retained, and a new stage in the Midlands.

8 tyres are also now allowed for all crews (except Rookie class) which can be interchanged at any time.

I am making my competition debut on the big stage in the nav seat in the Rookie Modern Class.

#144. Shane Russell / Mitchell Newton - Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 1 RS

Shall be an exciting 3 days for me (0, 1 & 2) running with Shane who is currently rebuilding the car. It is an ex. Group A Ralliart Australia built car which will have the turbo restrictor removed for this event. Hopefully will have it done up as a replica 1993 Monte Carlo car Hopefully we can come out on top in the Rookie!

http://youtu.be/xwDpjBfKZzo

Who else is going?

Liked 252 Times in 68 Posts
    I'm heading down on Monday morning, early flight in. Looking forward to the event, the M3R has had a good freshen up for the event.

Cheers

Ray
    2007 Australian Rally Champion Driver Class P3
    2011 Australian Rally Champion Codriver Privateers Cup and Premier League,
    2014 Australian Targa Champion Codriver Late Classic

Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    Coverage on Targa Tasmania is www.targatasmania.com.au Whites had to change the engine in the Lambo after the media day.

Finished 12th in Early Modern and 3rd in class. Set some personal records on quite a few stages. Glad to be getting my Gold Targa plate tonight at the presentation dinner.

Ray

Lots of talk at the moment about Tony Quinn's push for 200kmh speed limits on the stages. I don't think that Octagon will enforce this, although now under CAMS may be a bit of pressure.

Ray