View Poll Results: Should Ferrari do more to promote young Italian drivers?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - They have a responsibility to do so

7 31.82%
  • No - They should get the best, regardless of nationality

15 68.18%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N4D13
    What about both? Yes, they should do more to support Italian drivers, but they should also get the best drivers then can.

I didn't vote as this is my view also... they should try and employ at least one Italian driver but only if he (or she) .. is an asset to the team.
    The emergence of the new 'Rainmaster' - Mad Max at Interlagos 2016!

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Ferrari should do the most they can to get good drivers. Them being from Italy is irrelevant.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    Ferrari should do the most they can to get good drivers. Them being from Italy is irrelevant.
    But Ferrari being from Italy obviously is not irrelevant so why shouldn't they do what they can to promote young Italian drivers, or is it that there aren't any good young Italians coming up through the ranks?
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No one ever pressured Renault to hire French drivers or Williams to hire English drivers. Why does Ferrari have to hire Itallian drivers?
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
    I also think it would be too much to ask of Ferrari to have an Italian driver just because he's Italian. Ferrari are too good for that. On the other hand, they could secure a seat for an Italian in a lesser team, as part of an engine deal, say. Lesser teams are where rookies are supposed to prove themselves, aren't they? I know Hamilton is an exception, but generally the principle holds.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    No one ever pressured Renault to hire French drivers or Williams to hire English drivers.
    Mmmmm...I recall the elf programme of the 1960's & 70's that supported many French drivers into F1, very successfully, and ultimately led to Renault becoming the national team of France. Vast numbers of journalists were flown to Kyalami for the 1983 title decider when the nation expected Prost to win the title for Renault. The pressure was certainly on Renault to have French drivers and win with them back then, as it has been on Williams at times.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    Why does Ferrari have to hire Itallian drivers?
    They don't. No-one is saying they have to but given their dominant position in Italian motor sport they certainly have an opportunity like no-one else to support home grown talent.

I find it hard to believe that there are no good Italian drivers coming up through the ranks who are deserving of support and an opportunity in the same way that McLaren supported Hamilton, and Red Bull have supported many drivers. If a driver who shows potential isn't given the kind of opportunity that Ferrari are capable of offering how can they ever realise their potential?

You can certainly argue that the $m's invested in 'buying in' talent like Schumacher, Raikkonen and Alonso has reaped rewards for Ferrari but couldn't a small proportion of that money be used to find talented Italian drivers who must surely be out there?

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1
    Mmmmm...I recall the elf programme of the 1960's & 70's that supported many French drivers into F1, very successfully, and ultimately led to Renault becoming the national team of France. Vast numbers of journalists were flown to Kyalami for the 1983 title decider when the nation expected Prost to win the title for Renault. The pressure was certainly on Renault to have French drivers and win with them back then, as it has been on Williams at times.

They don't. No-one is saying they have to but given their dominant position in Italian motor sport they certainly have an opportunity like no-one else to support home grown talent.

I find it hard to believe that there are no good Italian drivers coming up through the ranks who are deserving of support and an opportunity in the same way that McLaren supported Hamilton, and Red Bull have supported many drivers. If a driver who shows potential isn't given the kind of opportunity that Ferrari are capable of offering how can they ever realise their potential?

You can certainly argue that the $m's invested in 'buying in' talent like Schumacher, Raikkonen and Alonso has reaped rewards for Ferrari but couldn't a small proportion of that money be used to find talented Italian drivers who must surely be out there?
    I suspect that Ferrari does support young and upcoming Italians in the various Formulae in Italy. However, if none of those Italians are good enough to put in the F1 team, then that is not the blame of Ferrari. As a team, responsible for many millions of sponsor (Philip Morris) money, their remit is to build the best car, and have the best pilot available driving it.

If the best pilot happens to be Italian, then so beit. As it is, they do have 'one of the best' drivers in the team - Alonso.
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    I suspect that Ferrari does support young and upcoming Italians in the various Formulae in Italy...
    Let's hope their driver academy does just that in the future.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    There have been 2 Itallian drivers that have been sponsored by the Ferrari acadamy; Zampieri and Botti

Quote Originally Posted by Knock-on
    There have been 2 Itallian drivers that have been sponsored by the Ferrari acadamy; Zampieri and Botti
    Perhaps you mean Mirko Bortolotti 2008 Italian F3 Champion & FIA F2 champion last year. IIRC he didn't do badly in the Williams at the Abu Dhabi young driver test either but doesn't seem to be a part of the Ferrari academy any more.