Obviously IndyLights is now defunct yet I was wondering...

looking at the viability of say F3000 vs GP2 as preparation for F1, think it is fair to say that everyone in the whole racing community from drivers and teams to the fans are in agreeance that GP2 prepares a driver much better for F1 than F3000 ever did owing to a formula that is much closer to F1 in terms of aero and also particularly the tyres (even more so now owing to F1s control Bridgestone which GP2 uses a close variant of)

Anyway, to get to my question, was discussing with a friend the other day, obviosuly Indylights is now defunct and an IndyLight and IndyCar pro are different beasts and indeed the eras of IndyCar from IndyLights days to IndyPro days are also very different beasts - yet looking at the RESPECTIVE eras of IndyLights and IndyPro and with the benefit of rational hindsight, which formula overall in your opinion proved/proves to be the better prepartion formula for the IndyCar series directly above it in the ladder at the time.

I.e. In the way we now say GP2 prepares drivers for F1 MUCH better than F3000 ever did, can the same be said for IndyPro over IndyLights?

(Not to put anyone out yet If anyone has one to hand - a tech spec comparison of an IndyLight and IndyPro package would also be greatly appreciated)

P.S: Am also intrested to realise what engines IndyLights used during it tenure - Am I right in thinking GM engines branded as Buicks was one?

Many thanks

Giuseppe F1