Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Iranian forces capture British sailors

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6484279.stm

This is a story that is breaking just now. The BBC is normally the quickest with this kinda thing. And this one really seems like a biggie. The fact that they specified it was British forces is what makes this important.

Don't see how Iran would be stupid enough to push their luck on this one though.
    Mark Webber - Michael's master :cool:

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    It is not too stupid on Iran's part because there are cracks in the ranks of allies. It won't be too long before "reasonable" voices start calling for appeasement and saying the British had it coming to when they invaded Iraq; Bush is bad and Blair is his poodle, blah blah blah...
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Iran and Iraq are a different kettle of fish as far as i'm concerned. And when it comes to what appears to be a hostage like crisis similar to what happened in Hainan China (soon after Bush became president), everyone will be totally behind their allies and countrymen. This kind of scenario can evoke alot of passionate patriotism. But at this stage, who knows what will happen.
    Mark Webber - Michael's master :cool:

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Would you suggest waiving St. George's flag or Union Jack as well? Iranian diaspora in the U.K. will be insulted.
    Llibertat

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy Tamasz
    It is not too stupid on Iran's part because there are cracks in the ranks of allies. It won't be too long before "reasonable" voices start calling for appeasement and saying the British had it coming to when they invaded Iraq; Bush is bad and Blair is his poodle, blah blah blah...
    Not wanting to go to war on every occasion when it is suggested as an alternative does not, in my book, count as appeasement. On many occasions it is a wise course of action, just as war is unavoidable on others.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Iran claims the British were in Iranian territorial waters. I haven't heard the British deny that yet, so it may well be that this is a legitimate act on the part of the Iranians.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The Iranians are probing allied defenses without having to worry about engaging the forces. This isn't the first time they've pulled this and probably won't be the last. At this point, until nations are ready to fess up that Iran is actively participating in combat in Iraq, Iran knows there will be no real reprecussions as a result of their actions with the Brits, so why not probe.
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    The Navy are insisting that it was a routine patrol in Iraqi waters, so I can't see how this legitimate.

Calls for a military response are premature, but that's not to say it isn't an option. The men have been missing for barely half a day, far too soon to be tooling up for war.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    The Navy are insisting that it was a routine patrol in Iraqi waters, so I can't see how this legitimate.

Calls for a military response are premature, but that's not to say it isn't an option. The men have been missing for barely half a day, far too soon to be tooling up for war.

There won't be military action. Iran won't push the envelope that far. They'll push it far enough to learn where the allies are willing to negotiate but not to the point where armed confrontation will be necessary. Iran knows exactly what they are doing and wouldn't surprise me if they planned this in advance.
    "No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair." - General George S. Patton

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman

Does not sound too serious, i belive they will be let go after some negotiations, sofar Iran has not commented in any way.
    Aja kovaa Pena.