Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts

Secular Primary Schools in the UK

What type of primary school did you go to?

If, like me you grew up in rural England, chances are that you went to a Church of England Primary School. Not because you had anglican parents but because it was the only school in your village. I went to two C of E schools and I remember morning prayers, bible stories and hymns in assembly and one morning per week studying the bible.

Is it correct to force religion upon gullible children minds from a young age? Personally I think my childhood would have been better spent doing English, Maths and Science rather than praying.

Why didn't I have the choice to go to a Secular Primary School?
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ummm a normal one?

I grew up in rural Devon and I don't really remember hearing about any of the schools being specific religious ones, not round my way anyway.

Apparently 25% of primary schools are C of E.

http://www.churchofengland.org/educa...academies.aspx
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    It was certainly the case when I was at school that all state schools were obliged to hold a 'daily act of collective Christian worship', and while it could be said that Christianity was the 'dominant' religion at the (fairly rural) schools I attended none was an actual C of E school, which is something a bit different.

I too am much in favour of all schools being entirely secular.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    It was certainly the case when I was at school that all state schools were obliged to hold a 'daily act of collective Christian worship', and while it could be said that Christianity was the 'dominant' religion at the (fairly rural) schools I attended none was an actual C of E school, which is something a bit different.

I too am much in favour of all schools being entirely secular.
    Growing up in Shap, Cumbria (it doesn't really get anymore isolated in England) I had the choice of a C of E school or home education.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    The primary school I went to wasn't specifically linked to a faith but we did sing hymms and pray. I went to a Church of England high school as it the best local school to where I lived. It wasn't the closest but it was better. My mum lied on my application form and said I was a C of E christian when I was in fact christened as a methodist. I suppose its besides the point that my father is a muslim. We had about four hours religious education classes each week but it wasn't limited to learning about the christian faith. It was compulsory to take Religious Education as a G.C.S.E but again that was multi faith based.

I am not a religious person these days but I dont think a religious education did me any harm. I'd rather have some knowledge about all faiths than be ignorant of many.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I went to a 'normal' primary school, no religious connections at all. But we still sang hymns every single day and Christianity was presented to us as fact. We didn't think anything of it as it was always that way.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I went to a 'normal' primary school, no religious connections at all. But we still sang hymns every single day and Christianity was presented to us as fact. We didn't think anything of it as it was always that way.
    +1 for me here - was at Primary school between '76 and '83. Wasn't C of E, but we sang hymns in assembly etc - never did me any harm.

Why is Christmas such a big thing on the high street, given how multi cultural the UK is? Wouldn't be for commercial purposes would it????
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SGWilko
    Why is Christmas such a big thing on the high street, given how multi cultural the UK is? Wouldn't be for commercial purposes would it????
    Certainly not hock:
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I was sent a C of E school and as an impressionable young kiddy it practically made me racist for a while. Christianity was drummed into us and if you didn't believe in God you were WRONG, plain and simple. It was explained to us that some people had other faiths, but they were false gods and in no uncertain terms WRONG. Knowing a couple of "brown" kids - no effort was made to explain their origin to me - I mocked their faith and had no reason to suspect that my behaviour was anything other than normal.

It was only when I went to a bigger school with, thankfully, a more enlightened view that I came to realise how abhorrent my former views were.

I believe that schools should teach all their pupils about all religions and secularism but leave them completely free to make their own minds up.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u