Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harsha
    he could be the most unpopular driver ever too you know,just a matter of opininon

You are probably right. Michael did tend to polarise opinion like that.

In a few years, I suspect that Gilles Villeneuve will be right up with MS again in the popularity stakes.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futuretiger9
    In a few years, I suspect that Gilles Villeneuve will be right up with MS again in the popularity stakes.
    Could be true if GV would still be among us and able to win at least 1 championship, but it isn't the case.
    In a few years the tifosi will still remember MS but fewer an fewer will know about GV, thus your point is somewhat mute.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    The most popular by quite a margin, and the best by even bigger margin. The Greatest
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Could be true if GV would still be among us and able to win at least 1 championship, but it isn't the case.
    In a few years the tifosi will still remember MS but fewer an fewer will know about GV, thus your point is somewhat mute.

Point taken. I suppose I'm just being an old romantic!

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
    What is popularity anyway? Do they go on streets and ask people, who is the first F1 driver who comes into their minds? It's logical that they maybe only know Schumacher because he gets talked about so often - wait 25 years and he's not nearly as popular as he's now.

And you really can't say who's the most popular Ferrari driver ever. To get to know who is the most popular Ferrari driver ever, polls should have been made all the time, at least every year and then when you take time to study the results, then you can come to the final conclusion.
    .................................................. ..................................................

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futuretiger9
    I suspect you're right, as time does add perspective, although he's right there now in the hearts and minds (never mind polls) of those who love Grand Prix racing.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

It will be interesting as both are Ferrari legends so they always will be remembered.

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Well, popularity or lasting appeal doesn't boil down to numbers. Statistics don't really affect people who already have an opinion about the issue of popularity of a driver. Just look at John Surtees, Niki Lauda or Jody Scheckter. Their titles haven't made them that resoundingly popular with the tifosi today, have they?

But these polls are all affected by the context in which they were conducted, both with time and media glorification.

In 25 years, probably both of them will the the favourite ever driver for the romantics, but by that time neither of them will be topping the polls of popularity I'm pretty sure.

So, like all polls, this one just reflects the modern context it was taken (including media glorification) so I'm inclined to think that it doesnt mean too much.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malllen
    Well, popularity or lasting appeal doesn't boil down to numbers. Statistics don't really affect people who already have an opinion about the issue of popularity of a driver. Just look at John Surtees, Niki Lauda or Jody Scheckter. Their titles haven't made them that resoundingly popular with the tifosi today, have they?

But these polls are all affected by the context in which they were conducted, both with time and media glorification.

In 25 years, probably both of them will the the favourite ever driver for the romantics, but by that time neither of them will be topping the polls of popularity I'm pretty sure.

So, like all polls, this one just reflects the modern context it was taken (including media glorification) so I'm inclined to think that it doesnt mean too much.
    My post wasn't about absolute popularity in 50 years, but about MS' compared to GV's, more precisely about the fact that it is almost imposssible that GV has a better popularity than MS in the future.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    due to the increase in viewership of formula 1,yea MS might be the most popular formula 1 driver ever...

you go to a road and ask a random person to name a formula 1 driver,9/10 times,Michael Schumacher will be what they say....
    Kimi :beer: Motorcycle racing :up:
    Look How Bad you Are :cheese: