Page 80 of 747 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180580 ... LastLast
    Liked 5,569 Times in 2,301 Posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    I would say, if the car is "only" as fast as a Mini RRC, they have a problem...
    What do you mean? If I understood you correctly, you say, R5 is better, right?

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by uranium
    What do you mean? If I understood you correctly, you say, R5 is better, right?
    It should be better yes. If it matches a Mini RRC, I believe it should be slower than a Fiesta RRC (not to mention DS3 RRC), right?

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miniwintz
    Is it really R5 spec or just a S2000 Fabia evo with a 1.6T R5 spec engine? I guess the engine is not the only difference between S2000 N/A and R5
    It must at least be running an R5 gearbox too I guess in order to give the engine a realistic workout for "real life" conditions.

Liked 1,474 Times in 573 Posts
    As they are doing tests on both gravel and tarmac, I guess there will be a new suspension already as well. Otherwise, I don't see the use of testing on both surfaces, if the engine/drivetrain is good on 1 surface, it will be good on the other one too, no?

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Not really. To be the best You have to find every bit of possible improvement. As the lifetime development of R5 cars is very limited (major modifications only once per 3 years I think) it's better to find the optimum as soon as possible. I do believe all WRC teams use different engine mapping for every event and I'm pretty sure even Škoda changes them quite often for S2000. For example on fast asphalt events You need peak power but on twisty muddy stages You need torque in low rpm because in high rpm You have no traction.

Same goes for gearing, there is never one common optimum for both asphalt and gravel. If You need one, it's a kind of compromise. Even asphalt events are different from each other. for example gearing of Punto S2000 was completely different than of Fiesta (I think these two were the most different of all).

Also for reliability it's good to do testing in life-conditions. When Škoda was developing the S2000 they for example left the cars stand out in the winter to start them as cold as possible. They drove cars to testing locations over motorway on their own etc. On gravel You have the dust or different stress to engine mountings, to clutch or to anything what can get loose.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Also for reliability it's good to do testing in life-conditions. When Škoda was developing the S2000 they for example left the cars stand out in the winter to start them as cold as possible. They drove cars to testing locations over motorway on their own etc. On gravel You have the dust or different stress to engine mountings, to clutch or to anything what can get loose.
    That's cool.

I think we can see again Skoda are going to run a very thorough testing schedule given that they are already on both surfaces 16 months before homologation!

I recently read that Hans-Jochaim Stuck was one of the test drivers for the Fabia S2000. Not sure how useful such an old man can be for that job but quite cool they had such a diverse range of drivers and opinions developing that car.

Quote Originally Posted by HarriK
    better video about r5 skoda gravel test:
    Ĺ*koda Fabia R5 1,6Turbo - YouTube
    Just watched this again, and to me this car seems much closer in style to a WRCar than the other R5s. Maybe just because it is running "virtual" WRC chassis and transmission?

Liked 11,171 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    I recently read that Hans-Jochaim Stuck was one of the test drivers for the Fabia S2000. Not sure how useful such an old man can be for that job but quite cool they had such a diverse range of drivers and opinions developing that car.
    Really? I never heard about him. I remember Baumschlager, Kopecký, Starý and Lindholm at the start. Than also Sainz or Panizzi were shortly involved. Later of course Hänninen, Loix, Mikkelsen, Kresta and now also Wiegand. Sure I forgot someone.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    Really? I never heard about him. I remember Baumschlager, Kopecký, Starý and Lindholm at the start. Than also Sainz or Panizzi were shortly involved. Later of course Hänninen, Loix, Mikkelsen, Kresta and now also Wiegand. Sure I forgot someone.
    ?King of Hockenheim? in a Czech SUV - ?KODA