Quote Originally Posted by aki13
Firstly this may need to be in the history section, but I wasn't quite sure.

Secondly can we not just argue over whether Hamilton is rubbish or not, or whether it was within the tight boundaries of FIA rules on defending, that may be for a different thread.

Right I was thinking while watching the Schumacher v Hamilton fight today, that it was probably the best defensive battle we have seen for a long time.

So I wanted to remember the previous great defensive races and battles we have seen in F1.

So even if you don't think this today was a great one or a fair one. Lets remember some of the previous ones.
I think that Schumacher's drive in Monza 2011 was fair, and indeed made for a great show for the fans. It was very clear that the Mercedes was set up for straight line speed, and the McLaren was more of an all round, and so top speed was thus sacrificed. As to whether JB had a different setup, or his tyres were just in better shape, remains an unknown.

I enjoyed it, Lewis was driving with his head today, and while he tried very hard to get by, the Shoe had him pegged at the correct points.

As to the debate about two moves etc - do we not think that this spoils it a little, let the drivers work it out for themselves. The only rule being no weaving.

The other strong defence this year was Seb against Lewis in Spain I think it was. That time around, the McLaren had the top speed, but the downforce on the Red Bull saw Seb pull away in the twisty bits.

All good stuff to watch.